• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Jass and GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hey guys, i gotta question yo. uh is jass easier or GUI easier? Jass looks very complicated. Hey if ur a professor in jass? can u tell me, how many months will i take to be able to master the basics, uh. And i also don't know why some ppl change GUI to jass just to protect their map.

Level 40
GUI is easier for a total beginner. JASS is easier for someone who has some previous programming skill. If you are not particularly good at programming then I would advise against JASS, although it is fairly easy so you may as well give it a shot.

Mastering the basics is all up to the individual. It might take someone a day or a few months, and once again depends mostly on whether you have any programming background and thus whether you need to be (re)taught concepts such as strings, arrays, functions, etc.

As for protection, it's because all map code is stored as JASS but is also stored as GUI if it was created specifically in GUI. Since deleting the (useless ingame) GUI-only files reduces map size, people like to include it in map optimizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.