• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I've Been searching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Up and down the forums for a good hour, trying to find one tutorial on here. I haven't exactly been a active member on hive, because I've been working at the real life, but I think it's time to cool down and try to finish what I Started.

The best way I can describe this is:

I had an idea, I wanted to do a campaign that followed a series of books I read the best I could with the campaign editor. I have done that, quite well to my belief, but theres one small problem.

I know nothing about How to actually make a campaign. I have a series of maps, 15 in all so far, but I have NO understand of two things.

How to add them all together (Which I know the campaign editor and then add them to it but I think theres more to it then that)

And the second thing I know nothing about is how to do 'cinematic' in game. Without these two, the campaign is pretty useless. It's just a series of maps, that I just now find out how to get the Melee option off. I know this looks like a jumbled bunch, but I guess what I'm tryin to ask for is:

Is there a pretty novice tut to campaign making?

Pretty Much the questions I have are probably simple when you think about it, but:

Most campaign modes end when someone steps on a circle of power, or ends a quest. I want to set this one up where the beginging of the story, you have to collect key to end the story. How do I set it up that way?

Another Common Question I have is: I have looked at the Cinematic Tuts, Most of them are a little complex if you don't understand how to work the Triggers. I Don't know how to work them, I'm not 100% sure what I could do with them? Whats the full extent I can do with the triggers for any campaign?

Last edited:
Level 4
Lol, I'm not 100% positive any of you know this, but its by Robert Jordan Eye of the World. A Fantastic series might I add. I Have chapters lined up already, the 'campaign' is almost done, I just need some help tying everything up.

Level 3
Up and down the forums for a good hour, trying to find one tutorial on here. I haven't exactly been a active member on hive, because I've been working at the real life, but I think it's time to cool down and try to finish what I Started.

The best way I can describe this is:

I had an idea, I wanted to do a campaign that followed a series of books I read the best I could with the campaign editor. I have done that, quite well to my belief, but theres one small problem.

I know nothing about How to actually make a campaign. I have a series of maps, 15 in all so far, but I have NO understand of two things.

How to add them all together (Which I know the campaign editor and then add them to it but I think theres more to it then that)

And the second thing I know nothing about is how to do 'cinematic' in game. Without these two, the campaign is pretty useless. It's just a series of maps, that I just now find out how to get the Melee option off. I know this looks like a jumbled bunch, but I guess what I'm tryin to ask for is:

Is there a pretty novice tut to campaign making?

Pretty Much the questions I have are probably simple when you think about it, but:

Most campaign modes end when someone steps on a circle of power, or ends a quest. I want to set this one up where the beginging of the story, you have to collect key to end the story. How do I set it up that way?

Another Common Question I have is: I have looked at the Cinematic Tuts, Most of them are a little complex if you don't understand how to work the Triggers. I Don't know how to work them, I'm not 100% sure what I could do with them? Whats the full extent I can do with the triggers for any campaign?

An answer to your first question:
Open up World Editor: Click on Campaign Editor Icon.
Name your campaign, difficulty, etc.
There is a button at the top that states: "Add Map"
Add all your maps through that.
Once you have all your maps added, click the button that says loading screen. Right click in the empty space, and click add button.
Chapter - The Chapter Number.
Title - Name of Chapter.
Example: Chapter one, Scourge of the Borderlands.
The File loaded list is made up of all the maps you added in the beginning. Select the map you want for that chapter, and select "OK"
Repeat the desired amount for amount of maps in Story.
Hope this helped.

Level 17
Go to the tutorials section.
Look for the "search this forum" button.
Type campaign, press enter.

Here are some stuff related to your problem:
A complete Trigger Action List
A nice tutorial on the Campaign Editor

I don't understand anything of this.

Level 4
Lol, I got that, I mean like some of it is complicated.

One of the things I have not been able to figure out is when a character picks up a certain item, I want the 'map' to be over. Something else I haven't been able to figure out is how to set up quests, hopefully with the tuts I'll be able to figure all of this out, I'm new to the trigger menu, but as far as the detail to the maps I'm pretty confident.

Level 8
Unfourtunatly, triggers ARE quite complicated, and to make a good campaign you need to (ugh) practice, practice, and practice! And ask questions alot on individual triggers that you haven't been able to find.

For the quests,

• Quests
  • Events
  • Map Initialization
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Quest - Create a Required/Optional titled (your quest name) with the description (describe the trigger here), using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\YourQuestIcon.blp

Level 17
Most of the stuff are self-explanatory. Gui is ugly, slow, not optimized, leaking, piece of crap, true. After you learn about some stuff, for example leaks and some bugs you'll be able to make your triggers. If you want nice-looking, fast, optimized, leakless map then start to learn JASS right away. It's not hard. (Oh and download NewGen Pack)

Level 4
I'll get right on that. At the moment, I am having a slight issue, I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem or not, but maybe I can figure out why this is doing what it's doing:

I Open the campaign to edit the maps, Because the campaign has all of the updated custom units and such. Every time I try to save the map after I've edited it, it won't save. When I try to exit the editor, it asks if I want to save, I say yes, then after it pretends to save it doesn't close. I have to choose no for the editor to close, and it never will save. Anyone ever experience this?

Something else, I use a few custom units for the story, and none of the custom units will show up when I add units to the unsaved map and test the map? I had to disable a few triggers for the map to run, but I haven't made any huge changes yet.

Something I just tried, If I start a brand new map without the campaign, I can save it.

The only way I can describe this is: I try to open the campaign by double clicking on it, I don't open the map. In the campaign edit screen, I click edit Map -Test. When I edit the map, It won't save.

Level 17
Once you press the save button the save progress bar should be shown to you and when the progress bar disappears your map should be saved. I've never done a campaign but when you import a map to a campaign do you work on the map after that or do you work on the map INSIDE the campaign file? I think it's the latter. So your map is most probably saved and it's inside the campaign that's why you think it is not saved.
But correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways. You should open a new thread for every problem you have to be solved.

Level 4
Lol, I think If I'll open one general thread, because I've got a few seperate questions.

The map is not saving inside of the campaign, when the 'autosave' kicks in, an error appears, I just noticed-

Unable to Open File: testmap.w3xTemp/war3map is the exact error message.

---Edit-

I found a way to get past the annoying error messages, I have to save each map by doing Save as each time I edit it and create a new map.

The one thing I am having some difficulties with is the not able to play custom units. I can place them, when I hit 'test' they disappear. The units are not created in the map, they are created in the campaign, and I can place the units, just not play them.

Last edited:
Level 4
I tried to uninstall and reinstall, I'm having the same problem. It gives me the error message if I open the campaign instead of the map, and I can place custom units, but they won't appear in the map.

What I think is happening is the campaign recognizes that I have custom units, but the map doesn't see my custom units because I made the units in my campaign and not the map if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.