• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Items give abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello, I've run into another problem on a separate issue.
I felt the system of heroes gaining abilities through default was lacking in player customization, so I'd like players to be able to choose their own abilities.
I chose to do so with items.

I'd like a (triggering unit) to gain an ability after using a specific (type) of item.

How would I do this?

Thanks for your time in advance! :goblin_good_job:

Level 4
Tried it,

I tried it and this is what I got, both of the conditions (tried one at a time) Did not work.
I couldn't find a simple "item- type of item being used" option.

thumb_colourbox4780996_by_darkvinylscratch-d9h97ix.jpg

Level 4
Solved

Thanks for your help guys, it works perfectly!
The problem was A: the script, and then B: the item I made just wouldn't process it, it needed an ability to be assigned to my item, but I didn't want it to have one.
So I created a new ability based off item tome. Set its stat gain to 0.
I'll create a walk through with steps in a second here, depicting how to make it. Thanks a ton you guys! :goblin_good_job:

Level 4
Tutorial

For anyone else having my problem, I hope you stumble along this article by Google search etc, here are the steps I followed.

1. Create an ability named "Buffer" you can use this for every item-->skill you make. Use any tome as a base.
trophy_room_design_best_trophy_room_ideas_by_darkvinylscratch-d9ha0g1.jpg

2. Set the stat gain (in this case strength) to 0, effectively making it do absolutely nothing.
Oh, and at the top you can change the art, target, to change the effect on the triggering unit. (optional)
trophy_room_design_best_trophy_room_ideas2_by_darkvinylscratch-d9ha0g6.jpg

3. Make a new item, based off an item with charges. Change the model, icon, description & name appropriately. Set number of charges to one. REQUIRED: set the ability the item has when it is used, to the ability we just made, "Buffer".
jpg_by_darkvinylscratch-d9ha0fj.jpg

4. Create a trigger sequence like mine. "Learn etheral form" is the name of my item & Etheral form is the name of the ability I want them to learn by using my item.
thumb_colourbox4780996_by_darkvinylscratch-d9ha0fq.jpg

You should now have a usable item (consumed on use), that teaches whatever unit used it the ability you wanted.
Enjoy! :goblin_good_job:

(The reason I post this, is I regularly search for my answers on Google, and they bring me to sites like this one!)

Level 24
Also use a custom script after you added the ability:
Custom script: call UnitMakeAbilityPermanent(GetTriggerUnit(), true, 'A000')
Where A000 should be replaced by the 4 character rawcode of your ability.

If you dont do this, the ability will be lost when you morph the unit.

Level 4
Hey, I added the line of script, but crow form seems to disable it.
(When I morph back into my original unit)
Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance! :goblin_good_job:

Level 4
thumb_colourbox4780996_by_darkvinylscratch-d9he7wo.jpg

When I use crow form, and morph back to normal, the skill is not there.

How would I fix this?

(Alternative answer)
Tell me a different way for a unit to turn into a flying unit that does not transform them.

Status
Not open for further replies.