• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Items as spells for non-heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I searched around google yesterday trying to figure out a way to give non-hero units spells based on items but I couldn't find anything, only found that a trigger can make it work for heroes–and I'm so far horrible with triggers–but despite a few hours of looking around I found nothing for non-hero units.

Hence I made an account here and decided to ask those with far more knowledge. With that said, is there a way to give non-hero units spells based on items?

I've sorta been feeling like getting back into Wc3 world editing because of Reforged being on the horizon and I just love designing spells, talents, perks and so on even though I never figured out triggers way back sadly. But alas, Wc3 WE is a good place to play around with such things, if you know how to do it of course. :')

As an fyi, the reason I want spells based on items is because I want simple perks like
"Reach ability level X and a summoned unit gets a passive perk that gives them X bonus attack speed."
The only way I found that can do this the way I want it, is items.
Auras come with auras that I can't seem to get rid of and there are no passive unit or hero spells that have what I want.
And items are just far more versatile in general with the bonuses they have available.
So I really hope the World Editor changes that are supposedly coming with Reforged tackle this issue lmao.

Level 39
This is not an issue; did you even try to see if it would work? Every item ability can be added to any unit (not just heroes) without issue. Literally change the "item ability" field from true to false and boom you can give it to units. Many item abilities do not show up on a unit's command card (because they were never designed to be seen), but they are nonetheless fully functional.

Level 1
This is not an issue; did you even try to see if it would work? Every item ability can be added to any unit (not just heroes) without issue. Literally change the "item ability" field from true to false and boom you can give it to units. Many item abilities do not show up on a unit's command card (because they were never designed to be seen), but they are nonetheless fully functional.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake of not being clear; issue is that the icons don't show up in the command card. I'm aware that the effects work, but I'd like for the icons to show as well.

Level 12
Thanks for pointing out my mistake of not being clear; issue is that the icons don't show up in the command card. I'm aware that the effects work, but I'd like for the icons to show as well.
Abilities whose icon won't show up won't do that on neither heroes or units.

To get around that, there's basically three ways.

1. Look for abilities with the effect you want that do show icons (duh).

2. If you can't find the above for the ability you want, then make two (or more) abilities, so long as the ability doesn't show any icon or buff nobody will notice if "one" ability is actually multiple ones.

3. Triggers. Just a lot of triggers. Have an icon that may or may not do anything, and then create the effects by triggers.

In older warcraft 3 versions you would need to look for passives that inherently don't have icons, or make use of the 'spellbook' ability to hide other abilities inside. If you've got the latest warcraft 3 patch however, you can add as many abilities as you want and simply remove their icons with triggers.

• Unit - For (Triggering unit), Ability Acid Bomb, Hide ability: True
As an fyi, the reason I want spells based on items is because I want simple perks like
"Reach ability level X and a summoned unit gets a passive perk that gives them X bonus attack speed."

Of course if you also want to involve (hero?) levels and/or upgrades to have different levels and requirements for the abilities, that will complicate things a bit more.

But realistically, if there's an upgrade requirement for example, then you just need to give the same requirement(s) for all the relevant abilities.

If it's based on hero levels or a hero's ability level, then you'll add and/or change the levels of the ability on the units accordingly.

Level 1
If you can't find the above for the ability you want, then make two (or more) abilities, so long as the ability doesn't show any icon or buff nobody will notice if "one" ability is actually multiple ones.
Not sure how I didn't think of that lmao, but thank you!

Triggers. Just a lot of triggers. Have an icon that may or may not do anything, and then create the effects by triggers.
Yeah I really need to learn how to use triggers properly. I've used World Editor on and off for the past decade, give or take, but I never bothered, fml.

In older warcraft 3 versions you would need to look for passives that inherently don't have icons, or make use of the 'spellbook' ability to hide other abilities inside. If you've got the latest warcraft 3 patch however, you can add as many abilities as you want and simply remove their icons with triggers.

• Unit - For (Triggering unit), Ability Acid Bomb, Hide ability: True
Aah, interesting bit of trivia, but yeah no worries, am on the latest patch.

Of course if you also want to involve (hero?) levels and/or upgrades to have different levels and requirements for the abilities, that will complicate things a bit more.

But realistically, if there's an upgrade requirement for example, then you just need to give the same requirement(s) for all the relevant abilities.

If it's based on hero levels or a hero's ability level, then you'll add and/or change the levels of the ability on the units accordingly.

Gotcha, though right now I see no reason to use hero abilities (or abilities with more than 1 level) for standard units. Mainly just learning stuff atm, trying my own takes on classes and so on.

Currently I'm working on a far more in-depth Beast Master with RPG inspirations and such. Where certain ability ranks come with perks that empower the ability (and/or the units summoned) and whatnot. Essentially I want a talent/perk system but that is far beyond my knowledge right now lmao.

But yeah, I've come to learn that I really need triggers at this point so I've got to start learning if I want to get any further in regards to making classes, welp.

Thank you for the help. c:

Status
Not open for further replies.