• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Item passive poison ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
To start with a little explanation... what i want is a weapon... a poisoned weapon. I'm making a map in which the players will need items... and some of them will be weapons of different kinds, poisoned weapons being one of them.
I'm trying to make an item that simply gives bonus damage but also gives a poison ability... basically one that with each hit, leaves a buff of slow and DoT on the enemy.

I tried using the different passive abilities i know like Slow Poison, Envenomed Weapons, Envenomed Spears, Poison Sting... but when i make those custom abilities and add them to the item... when the hero uses the item... he only gets the bonus damage... the enemy won't get poisoned.

If anyone has any ideas please tell... i'm hoping that there is a way to do this in the object editor trough an ability... because i really don't want to make a trigger.

NOTE: Also... if you are thinking of telling me about 'Item Poison Attack Bonus' from the Orb of venom... well yeah, i thought of the idea but i don't know how to modify it to certain DoT and slow values... So if any of you have an idea on how to modify those values on that ability then that's an option as well.

Thank you anticipated.

Level 9
I mean no disrespect to you or your answer... but i did specify that i would rather not use triggers... so basically i'm asking if someone knows any other way. If not... i don't think that telling me to use triggers is helpful.

Level 20
Eh... If you hero is ranged, you have to use Envenomed Spears.. if it's melee, Poison Sting works. You have to select the targets allowed by the ability, and remember these are orb effects, you can't have more than 1 orb effect.

Level 9
Yes.. i see... but are you sure Poison Sting works? I mean... as an item ability... Because i think i tried it and it didn't work... Well fine, i will try again.
As for orb effects, yes i understand and i know about this... there's no problem anyway... the heroes can only carry one weapon at a time.

Level 9
It doesn't work for me :(...
Yes, i know that items can use abilities.... it's just that the ability itself doesn't work...
I mean that when the hero attacks... the enemy just doesn't get poisoned... like the ability wouldn't be there. Yet i am 100% sure the item has the ability.
Here are some of the ability's data fields: (actually only the ones i have modified, all the others not mentioned here are as they should be from the original ability)

----
Data - Attack Speed Factor____0.30
Data - Damage per Second____0.50
Data - Movement Speed Factor____0.30
Data - Stacking____Damage
----
Stats - Buffs____Poisoned
----
Stats - Duration - Hero____4.00
Stats - Duration - Normal____4.00
----
Stats - Targets Allowed____Ground,Organic
----
Text - Name____Item Wep Poison (sword)

Any ideas?

Level 8
try adding the spellbook with the Poison ability to the item.
or have you tried Orb of Venom's Item Attack Poison Bonus?

EDIT: or rather, Poison Sting (Orb of Venom), as the Item Attack Poison Bonus only adds the bonus damage and attack index, not really the poison.

Level 8
as long as the item's Stats - Actively Used is set to False, the item will not be clickable even if the spellbook added to it is full of active spells. and forget the adding a spellbook to the item, try that Poison Sting (Orb of Venom). it's the one causing the Orb of Venom's poison buff.

Level 9
I tried the spellbook idea, also the orb of venom poison sting.... :( I tried all of them and none work... I just can't see the problem. I talked with a friend and he made just a simple test map with one ability, one item, a hero and some mobs... and it worked there... but he made it precisely like i did and in my map doesn't work :( I think there's something wrong with the map or i don't know... It's just too weird.

Level 9
They are all done properly... it's clear that the problem is with my map... not the ability itself. I probably made something in my map that interferes with the poison passive abilities and therefore it creates this bug... Nevertheless i will try to find a way to trigger it, or i could just forget the poisoned weapons idea...

Thank you all for trying to help me anyway. :)

Level 9
It's not about requirements... because even so, i was using Poison sting and that one had no requirements... but i also tried with the envenomed spears and it didn't work...
One more thing... it seems that even if i give an hero a basic item with frost attack bonus he will still not slow the enemy. This proves something is wrong with the map...

Anyway, i've found a work-around so no need for further discussion on this topic.

For those who might want to know how i did it then it's simple. I used a trigger that does the following:

Whenever an unit is attacked.
Picks all the items in the inventory of the attacking unit and checks if they are of a certain type (in my case, poisoned type weapons).
If there is such an item, creates a dummy unit, gives an ability based on Shadow Strike to the dummy unit and orders it to cast the spell on the attacked unit. Of course i remove the dummy unit and that's all.

Level 9
I have tried the orb of lightning ability. Neither this one works... i don't know why but it seems that for some reason any passive ability that is theoretically made to affect an target on hit will not work.

Oh and about the trigger, it's not so complicated... there are only 6 lines and they are basically for all items i want. As for unsecured... i use variables and others as such... i think it's rather leakless and bug free.

Status
Not open for further replies.