• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Issues with "installing" custom campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Salutations,

i have some serious problems to get the game to recognize any sort of custom campaign.

Just recently i got in touch with WC3 again after many years. Got my old keys recognized and installed it via battle.net.

A tutorial video told me, the new path for custom campaigns in the document folder. I put them where they should be. Yet, nothing.
To be sure, i made a campaign folder in the regular game path, again, nothing.

Actually i don't realy now what to do at this point. Downloading and playing maps via battle.net works perfectly. Also hosting.

Has anybody a clue what the problem could be?

I did not find a topic regarding this problem. If i oversaw it, please excuse my not thorough enough search. :)

Hey @Lofwyr,

Could you post which campaign you are trying to download? Some might not be compatible with the latest patch--and if so, they might not show up in the "Custom Campaigns" selection.

To test if this is the case, try downloading this campaign and moving it to your campaigns folder. This one is guaranteed to work on 1.29:
Gnoll Campaign

Level 23
The fact that you watched a tutorial video before randomly posting here about the issue puts you above most of the people who post this question :p. Just to confirm, are you putting the custom campaign in the sane place as the extended orc prologue campaign is? Can you post a few screenshots showing the location just to check. Otherwise, what purgeandfire said is a good bet to eliminate the possibly of an incompatible campaign.

Level 2
First off, thanks to both of you for the guidance.

I had no clue, there could be patch-issues regarding custom maps. Unfortuneately this wasn't the problem at all.
@tulee Well, i always see myself as the main source of any problem. *g* But since this is nothing of complicated, i wondered. By the way, i noticed i can't open any map. The Editor opens, but it always open a blank map.

Here are the screens of where i put the maps. The one under documents did not had any "campaign" folder, so i created one. I have no clue where the tft orc campaign might be. I looked for any files hinting at the name, but i found none. : /

The client is from battle.net . I tried to install from cd, won't even start the installer...

Imgur

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's C (or the disk where your OS was installed) Documents->Warcraft III->Campaigns->GnollCampaign.w3n (campaign files end in .w3n).
If not try: Disk where the OS is->Documents/My Documents->Blizzard->Warcraft III->Campaigns->CampaignName.w3n.

Level 2
Oh boy... i'm short on words on messing this up, besides, well... i messed up.

I was so fixiated on the "map" subfolder in the regular game files, i simply made one for the documents folder >_<

I fixed it, and it works as inteded. I chosed 3 campaigns: The gnoll campaign, the dwarf campaign and the adventures of rowan the wise.

Thanks alot for helping out this old man. *g*

But yet, i am curious as to why the world editor starts with a blank slate map, if i open any sort of map, regular or custom. Not that i intend to step into modding, seeing how fit i am even to get maps to run in the first place, but the curiosity remains.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But yet, i am curious as to why the world editor starts with a blank slate map, if i open any sort of map, regular or custom. Not that i intend to step into modding, seeing how fit i am even to get maps to run in the first place, but the curiosity remains.
It's how it is. Sadly, it does not work as opening an .mp3 with VLC in that it opens and plays it. With the World Editor, you have to manually open the maps after you start/load the editor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.