• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Issue with Reforged ".slk" custom files (custom Units Sounds) + (custom "Advanced" buildings?)

Level 5
Hello everyone ! I'm facing an obstacle, if there is someone on the Hive able to solve it, I think all Warcraft 3 modders will benefit:
As some of you know, before the advent of "Reforged", it was possible, by using the right tools, to create your own Unit Sounds without having to overwrite the sound files already present in the game, by using a "unitacksounds.slk" file customized using the "War3Slk Edit" app.
I tried to perform this maneuver by following this tutorial , unfortunately, I was saddened to find out that the lines of values in the "unitacksounds.slk" file (extracted from the Reforged version) were not the same as those shown in the tutorial's screenshots, the major issue being the absence of the "DirectoryBase" line, which makes it impossible for me to define a path :

Tutorial's screenshots
Reforged version's screenshots
Capture d’écran 2023-07-04 165215.png
Capture d’écran 2023-07-04 162009.png
Capture d’écran 2023-07-04 165332.png

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? :sad:

Level 29
I really don't like Reforged since this game was gone gold in 2020, but I can tell you, "UnitAttackSounds.slk" is in EVERY patch of the game, even Reforged, and is always located in "UI/SoundInfo". On 1.31 it is in CASC in a folder named "War3.mpq/UI/SoundInfo" or something quite similar to this.

The problem is SLK Editor will probably only detect all files that are associated with Warcraft III non-Reforged, which means any versions up to 1.31.1. can be opened, but not for Reforged. This because the Reforged file structure has been changed, with the inclusion of the "_hd.w3mod" files being used for the Reforged assets (not Classic). Later on, Blizzard updated its CASC format on 1.32.10, which makes some older tools, even the Retera's Model Studio (if you didn't use the most recent versions), literally obsolete:
Patch 1.32.10 changed the internal format of TVFS files by inserting a byte mid data structure which broke JCASC. I already pushed an update to the JCASC repository that fixes the error with it. I still do not know what the new byte is used for, but skipping it seems to do no harm and allows the rest of the reader to work.

TVFS files are used by Warcraft III to translate file paths to file data.

As far as I can tell, there's literally no solution for this problem other than downgrading your game version to pre-1.32, which still uses the older format (MPQ or even CASC without TVFS). Just to remember, if you want to do this on 1.26 or 1.27, you are going to need MPQEditor instead of CascViewer.