• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

is there enough quests in the "early-mid"game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ira

Ira

Level 4
currently i am playing all charcters from lvl 1 to about 30 or 40 again and i noticed that playing from 15 to 25 takes the longest time in the game for me are there maybe less quests in this area than in the other areas?

Level 8
Yes, that part of the map is notoriously bland. If you have any ideas for quests in that area, feel free to post them. If it's good I'm sure Zwieb will keep it in mind.

Ira

Ira

Level 4
Maybe the sanev quest could be a followup to killing some bandits?

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Ideas and suggestions like these have been circulating the forums for years.. If any of you have the skill to actually make them, don't hesitate to PM Zwieb and help him.

Level 10
I've always found the sewers to be COMPLETELY non-utilized. The sewers are massive with almost no use what so ever. It would make sense that the plague would be spreading down their and there should be mobs down in there as well(maybe some undead or infected rats or something ) It's in that level range and would seem to be the most logical place to add several quests with mobs involving that area.

Having said that, I care more about new content (1.2C) than questing in the level 20 range xD

Level 7
Its probably not ideal, but as S0ul said, it'd be a pretty poor resource management at this point to bother fixing.

To be completely honest I wish gear hunting was a bit more important in this level range. I don't think we need to simply just do every quest to purely level off of, but if we were better incentivized to put up with the poor exp rates of killing mobs, it could grant at least a better feeling while leveling.

Level 10
To be completely honest I wish gear hunting was a bit more important in this level range. I don't think we need to simply just do every quest to purely level off of, but if we were better incentivized to put up with the poor exp rates of killing mobs, it could grant at least a better feeling while leveling.

that's a great point +1

This thread topic pops up every once in a while, so here's a quick FAQ about it:

Q: How about adding more quests or rewards in the mid-level content?

A: I can do that, but it takes away production resources from current end-game content developement, and I'm sure that nobody wants that. If I design new quests, items or encounters, it doesn't matter what level they are; the amount of work is mostly the same.

Q: Can't you just hire someone to do it for you?

A: I tried that in the past, but it never worked. Most people simply don't have the programming knowledge required to make content in Gaias. I can outsource stuff like item creation (Ihaz and Box did a great job on this and I'd be more than happy to have them work on new items in the future), writing dialogues for quests and stuff (Jumbo helped me on this recently), but actually making these completely without my input requires JASS knowledge. And everyone who does have sufficient knowledge of JASS either works on their own projects or just writes random systems without participating in larger projects. In a way, the hive community is really fucked-up in the regard.

Q: Do you have anything planned for the midlevel zones that won't take away precious production time?

A: Yes. With 1.2C, three new features will be added to the game: repeatable quests, rare mobs and treasure hunting.
Repeatable quests will reset every 30-60 minutes and will usually add an opportunity to farm xp and gold aside from mindless mob grinding. For example, repeatable quest goals could be to craft certain items, find monster drops, etc.
I'm experimenting with randomly generated repeatables aswell, but can't make any promises about that. One or two of these repeatables could be in the midlevel zone.
Raremobs will basicly add something new to do for solo players and explorers. There will randomly spawn some pre-made variations of strong non-boss units around the map, that drop various items normally only obtainable from bosses. Since these mobs will be rare, this will be designed in a way not to devaluate group-content in the game. You can still get your stuff much faster in a group. But it adds an alternative for those that like to play solo.
Treasure hunting will be my take on random lockboxes in the world. Just like raremobs, you can sometimes find a treasure box at hidden places across the map. To open them, you need to find a key first. These keys get dropped from the enemies in the zone.
The treasure boxes will drop materials and sometimes also boss-items, making them obtainable for solo players who like to do exploration.

Q: Why not put more stuff in the sewers?

A: Ahh, my favorite topic. I gotta say I liked the sewers a lot, initially. The optical design is great and it certainly adds a different flavour to the game in terms of interior design. Initially, the sewers were meant as a "real" dungeon. But it turned out that the playability was lacking. The corridors were too narrow for boss battles; the pathing was bad and the walkable tiles just didn't look good. So I dropped that and just put one of the main quests there to progress the story. I also added a side quest later by popular demand.
To be honest, I just don't feel that the sewers should have monsters. I liked the idea of making Gaias Retaliation Part II some kind of exploration quest that doesn't require killing. It adds some kind of horror element to the game. And horror works best when you just anticipate what could be there, even if there isn't anything in reality. The Shade encounter kind of plays on that element.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Hmmm good points Zwieb. Though I find it incredible that no Jass-expert on the Hive is willing to help on this project. After all, Gaias is not just some random new map from another unknown map developer. I know you have tried to recruit people in the past, but how about making a more global announcement (similar to how the Patreon campaign was announced on the top of the Hive). You could simply request people for X work, with Y as proven CV/experience. I know it ain't a given that it'll yield results, but perhaps it's a good idea to try again?

The thing is: who with the skills to do it would be willing to just do manial tasks for me?

Gaias is mostly completed feature-wise. There is nothing interesting or cool to code. Just quests, which are mostly just tedious. And maybe a spell or two. But then again, making spells requires extensive knowledge about the game mechanics and requires a lot of teaching from me first.

That's something most people would probably not be willing to do.

Muzzel sometimes helped me out on interesting scripts. I planned giving him the dungeon generator thing to make (based on my proof-of-concept), but he is inactive currently.

The patreon announcement on the front page wasn't actually my idea. It was Ralle who saw it and approached me about it. Also, I kind of need a news post for the new content, so I'm still waiting for that gameplay trailer you guys wanted to do.

How about paying people for making a few of those, more or less, tedious quests? Will some of the Patreon money suffice?
That would be a huge waste that I'd rather spend on my art assets. Making quests is not *that* time consuming that it justifies monetary compensation imho. The patreon campaign is only for art assets atm.

Level 3
So 15-25 is not going to be any less bland soon, how about "just as bland, but shorter"? I would like:
- Higher exp from mob and quest.
- Higher gear drop rate, or add them into shop, or add them into existing quest (Holy Book, The Wall, Samurai Vest...)

Status
Not open for further replies.