• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there any people researched about visual scripting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi there.

I'm researching the visual scripting like PlayMaker in Unity or BluePrint in Unreal.
I feel it's really awesome to make things with visual scripting, and typically we could use jass to write some basic function, and turn those function into the visual function block. Drag & Drop, it's super fun to make things work.

I've found a project "micro:bit" which is awesome, I'm trying to write some extension for it thus I could use that to generate jass.

I don't know if there is already any visual scripting tool or framework? Or is there anybody who had created for JASS?

I mean if you know any tool like that, or you know there are some visual scripting framework use to generate code (text) which will be a great help!

And if you're researching about this, welcome here to discuss it.

:/

Level 3
BTW I've found many "visual scripting tool", but I didn't found "visual script generate tool".
If you know something about this, please leave a hint, thanks in advance.

Level 6
I have briefly looked up visual scripting systems in the past (I was building a moddable game and wanted to let user's use visual scripting).

The most intresting one I found was Blockly (Blockly  |  Google Developers) which is a Visual Scripting editor that can output multiple languages. It is also possible to define new languages, so you could define a JASS output. Here is some discussion of that Custom language generator to Blockly.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Isn't visual scripting basically GUI?

For actual scripting in game.. not heard of it being done.
Mainly because we did not have mouse natives until recently, doing drag and drop before that was a pain to say the least.

My brother in fourth grade had the following site for programming: Scratch - Imagine, Program, Share

scripting like PlayMaker in Unity or BluePrint in Unreal.
Never heard someone made a tool for it. I also guess that GUI is the closest.
But GUI is still too different, and natively, custom structs and functions are not even supported. You have no smart help for fasten, or objectize your code. Heck, in default editor there's not even a function list, or text highlithing, which cuts it off from being even called an environment. It would require very much external work, I guess, to make something like you expect with for example c++ Blueprints.

Level 3
I have briefly looked up visual scripting systems in the past (I was building a moddable game and wanted to let user's use visual scripting).

The most intresting one I found was Blockly (Blockly | Google Developers) which is a Visual Scripting editor that can output multiple languages. It is also possible to define new languages, so you could define a JASS output. Here is some discussion of that Custom language generator to Blockly.

Cool! This is what I'm looking for, thank you for the help!

Level 3
Isn't visual scripting basically GUI?

For actual scripting in game.. not heard of it being done.
Mainly because we did not have mouse natives until recently, doing drag and drop before that was a pain to say the least.

My brother in fourth grade had the following site for programming: Scratch - Imagine, Program, Share
I think the default trigger editor is easy to use, except that I have to reboot WE everytime I update the GUI for custom actions, conditions, etc.
Not scripting in game, that's difficult, I just want to make it easy to convert my custom functions as a GUI, just like the Galaxy Editor which Blizzard used in StarCraft II.

Hope Blizzard could improve the trigger editor when the reforged out.

Status
Not open for further replies.