• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there a way to translate maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Been looking for a way to translate map but couldn't find any. Is there a way to translate maps? I would love to translate the New Naruto Castle Defense to English so we can all play it.

Level 5
No easy way.
Most of the Strings used in Triggers are standing in the war3map.wts and some in the war3map.j file. Object's Strings are stored in their object file (w3u for units etc).
Grab a mpq editor (like mpq2k) and extract those files. The wts and j file can be opened in a normal text editor. The Object files have a special format, so you will need a hex editor (which is not delivering all to much comfort) or a special programm for it. Put them back in and see if it worked.

Level 30
Always remember dont make laziness as an excuse, only way is changing it and editing the texts. There is no other way. This does not need tool at all.

And also it should have the permission of the author of the map, you dont want to edit the map without the author's permission for that is really Illegal!

Level 20
Or, if the OP's really, really hardworking, he could might as well use a <language> to English translation book. But unless that very unlikely case will happen, I'd recommend he use the tool, preferably Google Translate.

But then again, Google Translate translates word by word, so it might be inaccurate. But, if the map is also protected and the language is written in different symbols, using Google Translate might be a little hard to use.

Either you find a tool to translate the map directly from it's core, or you wing it, and hope for the best.

Level 3
Naruto Castle Defense is in Chinese, I do understand most of the words when I play it. So editing it won't be much trouble just time. Getting the author's permission will be sort of hard since I don't know what site he is on lol, just need to look through some Chinese Warcraft websites I guess. Can someone post a step by step tutorial in getting the files and editing it to translate it? I'm still a beginner in Warcraft modding.

Level 3
You can try using translators then, I cant suggest one but search in the internet. Google Translate is an option but I do know its translation accuracy is not that good but you should try!

Lol, accidentally press post when I didn't even finish typing.

Level 30
Lol, accidentally press post when I didn't even finish typing.

I think there is no file needed just for simple translation. You just really need to get a good translator (a translator that can fluently translate even the hardest words) and one by one change the descriptions, texts in the map itself.

That is why I said laziness should never be an excuse.

Level 3
Problem is I can't seem to open the map in World Editor. I tried the Chinese version of the World Editor and English, Both won't open it. I think the author created the map where he locked it and prevent others from editing it...

Level 30
Problem is I can't seem to open the map in World Editor. I tried the Chinese version of the World Editor and English, Both won't open it. I think the author created the map where he locked it and prevent others from editing it...

When you open it, does it give you a fatal error? if yes, you are right, he used a map protector to protect his maps.

Level 3
Tutorial? Well, I can only think of extracting the files from the map, or deprotecting it.

Talking about deprotection is bad, so don't ask us about it.

Well, I just found the author and messaged him asking him if I can translate it. He seems to be online but doesn't seem to reply back. I guess I'll wait till tomorrow and if he lets me, then I will do research and extract the files and translate it.

Naruto Castle Defense is in Chinese, I do understand most of the words when I play it. So editing it won't be much trouble just time. Getting the author's permission will be sort of hard since I don't know what site he is on lol, just need to look through some Chinese Warcraft websites I guess. Can someone post a step by step tutorial in getting the files and editing it to translate it? I'm still a beginner in Warcraft modding.

Make sure you get permission before doing this. :)

Here is the process:
  • Find an MPQ editor. Here is one that I use: MPQ Editor v.3.5.0.747
  • Open the MPQ editor. Go to File -> Open, and click on the map you want to edit.
  • If it prompts you with options for a listfile, choose whichever ones relate to Warcraft III.
  • You should see a bunch of files that are named "war3map" with different extensions. If you see a bunch of xxx files, that means it was protected and you may need to search around to find the right map files.
  • Look for "war3map.wts" and "war3map.j". First, right click war3map.wts and choose "Export".
  • Open the war3map.wts with Notepad. You should see a bunch of text, then you can just edit it. Translate all that you need to, then go to File -> Save As, and save it as "war3map.wts", including the extension.
  • Go back to your MPQ editor with the map open, and replace the current war3map.wts with the one you edited. You probably have to right click the current war3map.wts, select delete, then import the new one.
  • You'll basically do the same thing with the war3map.j. Find it, open it in notepad. Use the find feature to find the strings "", for example:
    JASS:
    " Hi my name is joe "
    In the find box, search for the double quotes ". Then you can translate anything within the quotes. For example, "uno" -> "one".
  • Save the file as war3map.j. Then import it into the MPQ.

After that, it should successfully be translated!

If there is an error upon opening it with the MPQ, or if the file names are scrambled (or anything similar), then you should contact the author for the unprotected map.

Level 30
Make sure you get permission before doing this. :)

Here is the process:
  • Find an MPQ editor. Here is one that I use: MPQ Editor v.3.5.0.747
  • Open the MPQ editor. Go to File -> Open, and click on the map you want to edit.
  • If it prompts you with options for a listfile, choose whichever ones relate to Warcraft III.
  • You should see a bunch of files that are named "war3map" with different extensions. If you see a bunch of xxx files, that means it was protected and you may need to search around to find the right map files.
  • Look for "war3map.wts" and "war3map.j". First, right click war3map.wts and choose "Export".
  • Open the war3map.wts with Notepad. You should see a bunch of text, then you can just edit it. Translate all that you need to, then go to File -> Save As, and save it as "war3map.wts", including the extension.
  • Go back to your MPQ editor with the map open, and replace the current war3map.wts with the one you edited. You probably have to right click the current war3map.wts, select delete, then import the new one.
  • You'll basically do the same thing with the war3map.j. Find it, open it in notepad. Use the find feature to find the strings "", for example:
    JASS:
    " Hi my name is joe "
    In the find box, search for the double quotes ". Then you can translate anything within the quotes. For example, "uno" -> "one".
  • Save the file as war3map.j. Then import it into the MPQ.

After that, it should successfully be translated!

If there is an error upon opening it with the MPQ, or if the file names are scrambled (or anything similar), then you should contact the author for the unprotected map.

Genius!

Level 5
Object's Strings are stored in their object file (w3u for units etc).
[...]
The Object files have a special format, so you will need a hex editor (which is not delivering all to much comfort) or a special programm for it. Put them back in and see if it worked.

Don't forget them. The w3u / w3t / w3b / w3d / w3a / w3h / w3q / w3o files may all contain strings from the Object Editor. Its not just the wts and j.

Status
Not open for further replies.