• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introduction to site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, just came across this site recently and joined since i have been trying my hand at editing recently since i have an idea for some massive game changes that i wanted to try out. I have been working on updating a few units and have been modding some other units like a mechagnome, blood elf demon hunter and a gnomish tinker.

I have a couple of things i want to discuss since i have started modding:

1: I have a bug where my model shows a green box in the editor, states that the editor failed to load the file, but the file works perfectly in game (not a major issue i think) figure it would be a basic bug that shouldnt be too hard to squash.

2: Does anyone know where to access the base model for the 'dwarfcar' file? i cant find it in my mpq scanner. Its the 'hidden' rocknroll racer file, i want access to the actual file so i can edit it

3: (funny) does anyone else know about the... thing that happens where custom models additional 'geoset's dont show on the file (attachment issue), but inexplicably appear when you place the creep 'sludge monstrosity' on its tentacles? I had a sludge monstrosity juggling my custom models head randomly, couldnt help but chuckle at the sight!

4: (funny) anyone else notice illidan is a smoker? (look at his texture file)

Level 3
1. After you have imported a model, before doing anything else, save your map. Also, if your model requires custom textures, make sure the texture path is correctly set (have a look there: Importing models: symptoms, and cures)
2. It's in War3xLocal.mpq, then Units\Other\DwarfCar (check out this tutorial about hidden models: Hidden Resources in the WE (with screenshots!))
I figured what my issue was, i was using local files for editor skins instead of importing them from the mpq viewer, got my tauren spear chucker working finally heh.

As for the dwarf car, nothing is showing up for me when i browse the 'war3xlocal', im using war3 modelviewer, do i need another mpq viewer or should i be able to see it in that one?

Level 11
I use War 3 Model Viewer too. You sure you opened War3xlocal.mpq, not War3x.mpq?
(Btw, I'm talking about the .mdx model, not the texture. The dwarf car doesn't have its own texture, it uses textures from Siege Engin, Undead Car and Mountain King, this is why you won't see any Dwarf Car file when browsing the .blp section)

Level 3
I use War 3 Model Viewer too. You sure you opened War3xlocal.mpq, not War3x.mpq?
(Btw, I'm talking about the .mdx model, not the texture. The dwarf car doesn't have its own texture, it uses textures from Siege Engin, Undead Car and Mountain King, this is why you won't see any Dwarf Car file when browsing the .blp section)
all i get is dranai (sic) dranai akama, drekthar, illidanevilcaged, nazgrel and Rokhan under the 'other' mpq.
I have access to the file in the game so its not missing, its just not showing where its supposed to be...

Looking under units > other, is that the correct destination?

Level 11
It's weird that you can see Nazgrel and Rokhan, they don't have a model of their own. But it looks like you're looking at War3x.mpq, not War3xlocal.mpq.
In War 3 Viewer, go to File > Open MPQ, then in your game folder open War3xlocal.mpq
Dwarf_Car01.png

Then you should be able to see Dwarf Car under Units > Other

Dwarf_Car02.png

Unless you're using 1.29 PTR: it seems that War3x.mpq and War3xlocal.mpq have got merged into one single mpq in 1.29 update.

Level 3
its just soundsets in the nazgrel/rokhan folders.
I did discover that im using a different browser, i was using "war3 model editor", so i downloaded the one you are using instead, but for me its even worse since now nothing is showing in the war3x local mpq using warcraft 3 viewer. warcaft3 shows everything but all the expansion patches hold nothing

To clarify, exactly what is happening, i am opening warcraft 3 viewer > file > open mpq > navigate and select war3xLocal.mpq
it seems to open it, but in the navigation menu it only shows the mpq file with no nested files or folders, like its completely empty

war3 and war3x work perfectly fine, just not patch or local

Last edited:
Level 11
It should work with the way you did it.
Which version of the game are you using? 1.28.5? 1.29 PTR? Other?

Level 3
It should work with the way you did it.
Which version of the game are you using? 1.28.5? 1.29 PTR? Other?
1.26 i think... lol
Would that have anything to do with not being able to access some files? i have the patch and i have access to the file, but i just cant see it

Level 11
I tried with the 1.26 version, and I couldn't find it. So I think it's a version issue. I didn't search the 1.26 MPQ, so I don't know where to find it with that version. You might want to download the latest update and give it another try :)

Level 3
I tried with the 1.26 version, and I couldn't find it. So I think it's a version issue. I didn't search the 1.26 MPQ, so I don't know where to find it with that version. You might want to download the latest update and give it another try :)
hey thanks for all the help man. Know where i can download all the patches? do i just need the newest one or do i have to download them all 1 by 1

Level 3
I think you can download the latest version from Battle.net (in the game main menu)
You can do it with the launcher, too (Patching Classic Games)
right, i ended up being able to access them after downloading the latest patch, but now its requiring a cd key and i cant access the editor -_-

Is there an easy way to get a free version of the game? or even buy a legitimate copy?

Level 3
It's against the rules to discuss about illegal downloads, so no one here will be able to help you to get a free copy of the game.
However, you can buy it from Blizzard's website: Blizzard Entertainment: Warcraft III (EU) or Blizzard Entertainment:Warcraft III (US)
whoah i didnt say anything about anything illegal :p

i got a legitimate version anyway so dont worry about that. have all my problems solved now, apart from world edit not loading straight into the game that is (new patch screwed a few thing up)

unrelated question to my original one - did troll axe throwers and kodo riders ever throw 2 axes, or has it always been one? i swear they used to throw 2 but that doesnt seem to be the case now...

Status
Not open for further replies.