• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Increase spell damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I have something like this in my map where some items have a stat called "Spell Damage". An item might add, say, 20% spell damage. When carrying that item, the hero's magic damage is increased by 20%. Is this the kind of thing you are trying to do?

If you want to make it work like that, you will need a damage detection system and that damage detection system needs to be able to detect magic damage as well as modify damage. I haven't actually used a damage detection system before (from here at least, I built my own for my map using the ideas that other damage detection systems use), so I don't know what is a good one to use for this.

Level 10
I have created a pretty advanced damage system on the basis of Bribe's DDS, I wont post it or something I will just explain the short concept of mine.

In my system I trigger every single damage and this works the following.

You can detect pretty exact the damage with Bribe's DDS.

So for example I reserved damage >3.00 points for phsyical damage that means a damage gets 5 damage points for example there I can instantly recalculate with armor reduction, evasion, critical strike etc. etc

damage from 1.50-2.99 points are reserved for any spell or skill damage and this works pretty perfectly. For example Stormbolt is set to deal 1.51 points damage and when a unit takes exactly that damage from the damagesource Mountain King I can say for 100% that the atttack was a stormbolt and then I simply manipulate the damage to deal let's say 100 damage points when the mountain Giant now uses Rune Bracers I could for example additionally increase the damage by 100%. The points 0.01-1.50 are reserved for healing effects so a unit gets 0.01 damage for example but instead it gets damaged it will be healed then. Also works pretty well.

I mainly use this system for advanced stats and all kinds of critical strikes, evasion, damage feedback in floating texts etc. etc. I just want to show you what is actually possible.

Level 9
I have something like this in my map where some items have a stat called "Spell Damage". An item might add, say, 20% spell damage. When carrying that item, the hero's magic damage is increased by 20%. Is this the kind of thing you are trying to do?

If you want to make it work like that, you will need a damage detection system and that damage detection system needs to be able to detect magic damage as well as modify damage. I haven't actually used a damage detection system before (from here at least, I built my own for my map using the ideas that other damage detection systems use), so I don't know what is a good one to use for this.

Yes that's exactly what i had i mind

Using Damage Engine (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-damage-engine-v3-6-0-1-a-201016/):

• Amp Spells
    • Events
      • Game - DamageModifierEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
      • IsDamageSpell Equal to True
      • DamageEventSource has an item of type Spell Amplification Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set DamageEventAmount = (DamageEventAmount x 1.20)

ok thank you,i will try this and tell you if something dont work

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
I am actually using the items life for spell damage.

I use the life as representative of spell damage, thus every triggered damage I deal I simply multiply by all item health in the inventory (on library function to calculate those obviously).

But well, I basically did it that way because of laziness.
But if you don't need anything else that requires a DDS then I guess you can go the same way.

Edit: All my damage is triggered, obviously this doesn't work for non-triggered spells.

Level 12
I am fairly certain that there are damage detection systems that can detect when damage is magic or not. I even built my own damage detection system (mostly to learn / for fun, and it's not really a system since it is kind of trapped in my map) and it detects magic damage.

The trick was found by another person, but basically you give all units 200% magic resistance (using the runed bracer ability). This causes all units to take negative damage from magic damage (100 magic damage turns into -100 damage). When the damage detection system fires, it first checks if the damage is negative. If it is, it is magic damage. It then has to handle flipping the damage back to be positive (quite a complicated process, I must say) and then redo the damage with some variable set to indicate it is magic damage.

If you are using other magic resistance abilities, you need to modify them:
30% magic resistance should turn into 170% magic resistance (the unit will only take -70% of the damage and then it will flip to 70% of the damage - 30% less than 100%).

You could also, alternatively, make your own magic resistance system (since you would now capture when magic damage has been dealt) that could work much more like armour where you can get magic resistance "points" similar to armour "points".

Status
Not open for further replies.