• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AI] Improving melee ai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello guys, i did a map time ago to play with my friends using also some guides and free stuff that i found on this forum and i take this opportunity to congratulate everyone for the excellent material you make

i made a classic map where i included a lot of new heroes, modified troops, new spells and so on, everything works good but there still only one aspect that i don't know how to solve and i didn't found a guide for this
as i said i made a normal assault map, humans vs ai, i use the classic triggers of melee ai, it works, but after some times the ai players stop doing anything, after they made the third base and some attacks even if they have a lot of resources and units
i'm not an expert i just need to understand how keep them active and keep them attacking me, searching for new bases and so on

is it difficult to do? is there a guide that i can use?

Level 12
Actually I'm not sure. I've seen it happen in normal melee matches, but never had the time/patience to debug the melee AI.

The most probable reason coming to mind is that maybe they run out of gold (the computer can behave incredibly stupid with its resources). You can try adding a simple trigger where you can check a player's resources and give him some extra with a chat command or something.

If that doesn't work, eh... Maybe it's something with the AI attack priorities, they have some big list of possible targets by conditions, and debugging it is a pain.

Alternatively, you can use an AI by Michael Peppers found here:
[Script, AI] Michael Peppers's Melee AI template - Wc3C.net

Level 1
Actually I'm not sure. I've seen it happen in normal melee matches, but never had the time/patience to debug the melee AI.

The most probable reason coming to mind is that maybe they run out of gold (the computer can behave incredibly stupid with its resources). You can try adding a simple trigger where you can check a player's resources and give him some extra with a chat command or something.

If that doesn't work, eh... Maybe it's something with the AI attack priorities, they have some big list of possible targets by conditions, and debugging it is a pain.

Alternatively, you can use an AI by Michael Peppers found here:
[Script, AI] Michael Peppers's Melee AI template - Wc3C.net

yes i already tried in the past to give extra resources to AI with a timed trigger and nothing change, it is something about the attacks waves, at some point it is like the cycle get stop instead to keep attacking with new waves or making new bases.
i'll take a look at your link and see if i'm able to use it, for now i thank you for the help :thumbs_up:

Level 12
Which race AIs your AI is based on? I remember human/orc AIs sometimes keep doing nothing and undead&elf AIs were usually doing better.

And you said your map is an "assault map", do bases in your map has gold mines, or main bases of the players contain start locations of players/town halls (not sure if main buildings are hardcoded via scripts) etc. Maybe it doesn't recognize a base as possible target if none of these exist.

Level 12
yes i already tried in the past to give extra resources to AI with a timed trigger and nothing change, it is something about the attacks waves, at some point it is like the cycle get stop instead to keep attacking with new waves or making new bases.
i'll take a look at your link and see if i'm able to use it, for now i thank you for the help :thumbs_up:

Sure thing. If you feel like debugging the AI scripts for your map, or for posterity, you can do it. It's not difficult to modify the AI script to include debugs, you just need to play it for enough time until something like that happens. If you play it anyways, tell me which script it is and I'll try to rig it with debug statements so you can know where's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.