• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Sorry for the noob question but im trying to import a wooden wall to the map I am making and every time it shows up as a green and black block. I have read and watched tutorials online and don't know what I am doing wrong. I downloaded and saved the model as "WoodWall45.mdx" and it imports just fine but it wont show up. Am I missing something? please help

Level 20
This one?
WoodWall45

It doesn't have any textures to import, so it should work fine, but the editor often/always doesn't display freshly displayed models - so that might be the issue here.

a) Test your map in game.
b) Save your map, close the editor, load the map again.

Does the issue persist?

Level 11
Right after you imported a model, make sure you save your map/campaign before doing anything else. To make it work, here's what I advise you to do:
  • In import manager, remove the faulty model
  • In unit manager, set the model file its default model
  • Save your map, exit it, and launch it again
  • Import the model again, and remove the war3mapImported part
  • Before doing anything else, save your map
  • It might be necessary to exit WE and run it again
  • It should work now!
  • For some reason, sometimes it just doesn't work even if you did all the steps right. Just do it again! WE import manager is quite flawed.
Also, make sure you use the latest version of Warcraft 3.

Hope this helps. If you still encounter problems, attach your map to your next post, so it can be sorted out.

Level 5
Thank you for the help, couldn't get it to work though. Should I be using a destructible or a doodad for the base model when I create a custom one? also can those destructible walls be destroyed?? I did get a building skin to work though!

Level 11
That's odd. I use that model myself and I have no problem with it (I suppose it's the one MasterBlaster linked).
You can use a destructible or a doodad as a base model, but you can use a unit too.
Yes, if you base your wall on a doodad or unit, it can be destroyed. And this particular model has a death animation, so it'll look just fine.
You may upload your map if you wish, I can try and have a look and see what is wrong.

Last edited:
Level 5
Got it working! Thank you for the help. it just took a couple tries, like you said.

Side note: is there any way I can rotate a building, lets say a stronghold, to face a different direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.