• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

importing animations the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
well sometimes when i use oinker animation transfer it doesnt work with certain models...and thats because the bones dont have the same names(at least thats what ive been told)....

i have read around about a method to fix this by naming the bones the same on the models through the mdl but i dont understand....

how do i go about doing this..

1)do i just look through the mdl at the bottom, name the bones the same, example: fel guard with paladin animations

2) would i name all the bones in the fel like in the paladin...then use oinkers program to transfer...or do the naming thing after the transfer..or mdl animation transfer be best(how do u do this by the way)

3) and how do u name bones the same if some models have more bones than others :shock:

im really confused about this :oops: ...if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated...thx

Level 10
You're in luck. I had this problem too but i figured out how to fix it. First, you get the mdl of the model you want the animations on. Open it in word. Do the same thing for the anim source.

Now search for either "helper" or "bone" and you should find something like this:

Helper "Bone Robe A1" {
ObjectId 38,
Parent 36, // "Bone Robe A"
Translation 28 {
Hermite,
667: { 0, 0, 0 },
InTan { 0, 0, 0 },
OutTan { 0, 0, 0 },
1200: { 0, 0, 0 },
InTan { 9.84711, -1

The bone thing will look almost the same. Now firstly you have to find the right bone, most of the time it says the body opart you're looking for. (ie leg or arm or upper arm etc)

Now look also at the parent, what the bone is attached to. You'll need to remmeber both when remanimg stuff.

Now the long part (sometiems it's short if names are the same).

Look through the model you want the anims on. Look for what it uses to identify it's bones (ie: arm_left_1 for the upper arm) and look at it's parent also. You need to know both for every bone you alter (rember there are ususally multiple bones (Ie: Bone1_ArmL, Bone2_ArmL, Bone_Hand_L)
you'll have to change in order for the anim to play, i suggest changing all of the names possible so the anim is as close as possible)

Now look for something similar if not the same on the other model. If it's the same, woohoo, you don't have to change anything, if not, then you have some retyping to do (they have different ways of spelling the bone parts but the portion of the body should be named and should be the same (ie pelvis, chest, arm, hand, leg etc.)

Now on the anim model, simply look for the matching bone, and give it the name of the bone on the model that you want the anims on, be sure to change the parent names if the parent bone names are different)

Like i said before, make sure you change all the bone names possible (all the ones that are different in spelling).

Now comes the simple/also long part; adding the anims. You'll need the anim transfer tool from oinkerwinkle's to do it. Just transfer the ones you want (make sure you transfer to a new model each time otherwise you won't gain more than 1 anim) and if you renamed all the bones correctly on the anim source model, you should get those added anims to work properly on your own model too.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.