• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ideas needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey. I'm working on a Poker/Texas hold em map. Wondering if anyone can think of an efficient system for it. You don't need to write triggers out here I can do that. It just I'm having trouble thinking of a way to do this without thousands of if then elses. If you don't know how Texas hold em works. Each player gets 2 cards then everyone bets. Then 3 community cards are placed which everyone uses. Bet again another card and once more. For a total of 7 usable cards for each player. The of those 7, 5 are used to make your hand. I need a system to detect the best hand within those 7 cards. Also an efficient way to check for different combinations.

I've tried contacting BuckyBall, who made Poker TD. With no luck. I've already made the models for the cards (52 models 52 textures). If you'd rather join the project PM me. If I can't find a way to do this I'll probably just make a simpler game like spades or blackjack.

One of my ideas it to assign each card a custom value and each suit uses different classifications. Maybe the first check would be if you have a pair. Then set a "HasPair" variable = true. Then the next checks if you have two pairs. If so it would set "HasPair" = false and set "HasTwoPair" = true, and so on. Thinking a person would have to manually select the cards he wants which could make people not want to play. I know I'm not gonna find an easy way to do this. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.