• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ice Forest

Available commands and new icons by w3c on the minimap

Neutral Building:
1 Laboratory
1 Market
2 Shops
2 Mercenary camps
4 Goldmines
Creep Camp:
8 Green
10 Orange
2 Red
Contents

Ice Forest (Map)

Reviews
mafe
So.... I thought I had reviewed all map from the recent contest, but apparently I missed this one. Sorry. For reference, the judges were split on this map...
Level 12
Yo, there are still few bugs that need to be corrected from competitive perspective.
1) After last update there are still pathing blockers: bugged tiles or randomly placed doodads. Just hit [W], then [P] and look around the map to find them all. Rise terrain height and move around doodads to "stick" them onto trees, removing gaps this way.
2) Wisp gaps - there are a lot of them. Cannot show you them all, its hard to do so many screenshots, but hit [Ctrl+D] to see, how many of them are. You need to redo most of the forests to deal with them I think.
3) Decorations - map lacks them really hard. You did a lot of work with terraining, but not with doodads, so you can boldly use much more of them. Good idea is also using small decorative doodads to deal with wisp gaps.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 104

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So.... I thought I had reviewed all map from the recent contest, but apparently I missed this one. Sorry.
For reference, the judges were split on this map:

Looking at the current version, it has been improved after the contest. The original map was not bad by any means, and in previous contests it might have made the top 7, but in this recent contest, the overall level was really high, so a few map had to be unlucky.

I do not see any outright gamebreaking bugs. In fact, the map is overall quite streamlined now. My main issue with the map atm is that most objectives are located near the edges of the map, and there isnt too much to fight in the center (relative to most other 1v1 maps). But it might lead to passive gameplay where both players creep on one side of the map. So in some way, the map is similar to AZ, but I have to say that if I was given the option to replace AZ with this map 2-3 years ago, I would have done it without any hesitation. Sadly this isnt how map pool changes are made ;)

Looking at more details:
1. There are many unusual creeps, and imo the camps are overall quite balanced.
2. Some of the itemdrop are still a bit off: The lvl 2 charged from the lvl 15 camp at the shops is too weak, while the natural expansions and merc camps could have done with just a lvl 1 powerup.
3. There are some minor custom changes (including to unused Dalaran mutant?), which at first glance seem reasonable to, but ofc constitute some kind of usually controversial custom balance.
4. There are some locations were pathing isnt 100% perfect yet, such as with the corpses near the skeleton archer/mamoth camps, and on the edges of various forests.
5. The random buildings are fine, though it wont matter which building spawns where.

So overall, not everything is completely polished yet, and to be eligible for the competitive mappool, this probably would need to be the case. Still as it is, the map is alright. Approved.

Level 4
So.... I thought I had reviewed all map from the recent contest, but apparently I missed this one. Sorry.
For reference, the judges were split on this map:

Looking at the current version, it has been improved after the contest. The original map was not bad by any means, and in previous contests it might have made the top 7, but in this recent contest, the overall level was really high, so a few map had to be unlucky.

I do not see any outright gamebreaking bugs. In fact, the map is overall quite streamlined now. My main issue with the map atm is that most objectives are located near the edges of the map, and there isnt too much to fight in the center (relative to most other 1v1 maps). But it might lead to passive gameplay where both players creep on one side of the map. So in some way, the map is similar to AZ, but I have to say that if I was given the option to replace AZ with this map 2-3 years ago, I would have done it without any hesitation. Sadly this isnt how map pool changes are made ;)

Looking at more details:
1. There are many unusual creeps, and imo the camps are overall quite balanced.
2. Some of the itemdrop are still a bit off: The lvl 2 charged from the lvl 15 camp at the shops is too weak, while the natural expansions and merc camps could have done with just a lvl 1 powerup.
3. There are some minor custom changes (including to unused Dalaran mutant?), which at first glance seem reasonable to, but ofc constitute some kind of usually controversial custom balance.
4. There are some locations were pathing isnt 100% perfect yet, such as with the corpses near the skeleton archer/mamoth camps, and on the edges of various forests.
5. The random buildings are fine, though it wont matter which building spawns where.

So overall, not everything is completely polished yet, and to be eligible for the competitive mappool, this probably would need to be the case. Still as it is, the map is alright. Approved.

Thank you for rating! Today I released an update based on your recommendations