• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] I would like Information on all Custom Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I know a lot about custom script but for GUI users no one really has a section for custom script.

I would like to ask for as many custom script resources and the use for them as possible even if you must show me the example of its use yourself. Ty.

Custom Script that gives GUI users the ability to do things Basic GUI can not

Level 7
So your saying the next step is for me to just learn jass. I do better with GUI atm then jass. Why should I learn Jass when warcraft is dying.

Level 29
So your saying the next step is for me to just learn jass. I do better with GUI atm then jass. Why should I learn Jass when warcraft is dying.

jass is a lot faster than gui to write and easier to read. as for the wc3 dying, if u have fun editing maps then who cares if the game is dying. if u dont do this for fun u might as well just stop now. Jass also doesnt use those BJs if u write it correctly which will make ur game faster and less prone to lags than if u write the same things in GUI. Jass also has a lot more flexibility. more actions and its very easy to learn. took me about 2 hrs to learn the basics of JASS after that i switched to vJASS because of how much nicer it was to write things and the added benefits u could get w vJass( namely the structs, scopes, and libraries).

i spent about 2 months i believe on GUI. Then i was converting GUI to learn Jass as i didnt see the need for tutorials. Then i heard about vJass and looked for a tutorial. When i learned vJass i switched everything over in my map to vJass. it took me about 2 more months but i also added triple the amount of code in the same period as it took me to do the GUI. I wrote my Recipe System in about 35 minutes. i dont even want to guess how long that wouldve taken with GUI.

Level 7
I learn differently then others though, I learn GUI on my own, no aid no nothing, Learned it by being more and more creative by looking at other games and eventually I could see how things work without ever needing to open a map.

I learn by seeing it when its happening, involving texts that tell me whats happening while I'm watching it in the test, is something misfires I know about it lol. That's how I learned GUI, through messages telling each step of the execution. I'v been GUI for 4-5 years? lol Never bothered to learn Jass.

Level 7
Warcraft is dying might be true.
Indeed you have less players then a few years ago, but it is still one of the best game to develop your own maps on a very great way.
Because of that little fact there will be always people who spend their time on developing stuff here.

If you think that GUI is anything you need, you don't need all those custom scripts aswell. :p

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
dont come with thaqt bull-shit like that. A low ammout of people care about speed of the code. JASS indeed got some nice features but, as I myself prefer GUI I would not use "jass is faster" as a argument.

1. jass got natives(actions) that doesn't exist in GUI
2. local variables are pretty neat because they are short and allways unique
3. easier to use hashtables(MUI)

Level 7
dont come with thaqt bull-shit like that. A low ammout of people care about speed of the code. JASS indeed got some nice features but, as I myself prefer GUI I would not use "jass is faster" as a argument.

1. jass got natives(actions) that doesn't exist in GUI
2. local variables are pretty neat because they are short and allways unique
3. easier to use hashtables(MUI)

Well I never use Hashtables or ever bothered to learn them lmao

Level 23
Level 7
NewJassGenSystem has all of them, I was hoping someone would give me the important ones in GUI custom script for use lol.

Level 23
Important, it denepds on what you want to make, if you want to make custom spell for sure Image API or destructable API(most likely) is useless but it depends on what you want to achieve.

The most important on every case are the ones you have in your signature

Level 7
Important, it denepds on what you want to make, if you want to make custom spell for sure Image API or destructable API(most likely) is useless but it depends on what you want to achieve.

The most important on every case are the ones you have in your signature

lol, I am looking for special ones like, grabbing things I can't

How about I just post them and you guys convert them into the custom script format for me lol.

Level 7
hope the list is not long, I can only type in from now on on my mobile, or will have to wait for tomorrow, but by that time someone else would give you answer already

Well no need, Jass is simple, I'v always been able to read it, I have just never understood the Structure, you see Events are at top, then contions then actions, Things are different in jass, meaning I end up confused. I don't know how to link things and such. But if what I want to do requires such a task. Then I will learn it in no time. Once I learn the structure I will understand most of what I need to know.

Level 23
the core of all in Jass is functions

One trigger folder generates 2 functions + 1 for each if and 1 for every enumeration(For every unit in Unit group...)
the thing is, function A can call function B only when function A sees function B
that means that function B must be declared before function A
the best thing about Jass is that you are fine with 2 to 3 functions for the whole trigger, while GUI makes maybe even 20 functions

Level 7
Well no need, Jass is simple, I'v always been able to read it, I have just never understood the Structure, you see Events are at top, then contions then actions, Things are different in jass, meaning I end up confused. I don't know how to link things and such. But if what I want to do requires such a task. Then I will learn it in no time. Once I learn the structure I will understand most of what I need to know.

I'm currently working on a map for GUI users to come into JASS pretty easy.
It will contain triggers that most of the maps use (game time, chat commands, ...) and a little bit advanced stuff like a little xp system.

At least this is what i got at this time.
I will add even more over time I guess, but it depents on the time and the testers which help.

If you are interested, I would appreciate any helping hand! :)

Level 7
I'm currently working on a map for GUI users to come into JASS pretty easy.
It will contain triggers that most of the maps use (game time, chat commands, ...) and a little bit advanced stuff like a little xp system.

At least this is what i got at this time.
I will add even more over time I guess, but it depents on the time and the testers which help.

If you are interested, I would appreciate any helping hand! :)

Sounds good its beats reading it all in random locations with them all telling you different things lol. I literally just sit here most of the day hunting for triggers to fix. I enjoy fixing others problems, some are very amusing.

All coders in Wc3 (well not all of them ) under goes this cycle:
Learn the basics of GUI
Master GUI
Learn the basics of JASS
Master JASS
Learn the basics of vJASS and Zinc
Master Both

And after you learned those,there is a possibility that you would learn computer programming languages(AS, C++, C, C#,Perl etc)

GUI has many differences in JASS structures.
Here are the commons:
1) When coding trigger structure,you don't need to code the whole event.Just code the condition and actions.
2) You can code a trigger with just having an event and a condition,no actions needed.
3) You can only use functions that are above the function you are going to use them.
4) Converted-GUI JASS has tons of BJs
5) functions can represent constant values(no handles)
6) You can create a map code with just using a single trigger (you will like it)
7) You can have temporary variables known as locals which won't waste your global variables.

And more.

JASS is very easy to learn.Once you learn it,it will take you to your highest extents.

Actually,before i coded in Pure Jass, there are so many people who let me understand it,primarily Nestharus and Magtheridon96. I just coded first in GUI, then JASS in GUI interface(lots of custom script). Then i moved it,realizing that GUI was as slow as my broadband,i just moved on coding in Pure JASS,where im comfortable and it has faster speed than GUI.

You should read first the API edo gave you(common.j and blizzard.j).Those two scripts made the JASS and GUI syntax,so better start with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.