• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I can't host games on WC3. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Before you say anything, yes, I tried port forwarding. I'm behind an NAT router (TP-Link Archer C59), and when I logged into it, all I saw was "NAT Triggering", no port forwarding. I added a thing into the port triggering list for Battle.net (this was a preset, to my surprise; port 6112 on TCP and all), and tried that.

It didn't work.

I tried changing the ports around. 6112, 6119, 6112-6119. I tried running a third-party "Network Utilities" program to find all the ports WC3 was using, then added those onto my router's port triggering list. That didn't work either. Has Blizzard changed the port it uses to host games on ever since they switched to hosting games on their own dedicated servers, instead of it being peer-to-peer?

I'm using HughesNet satellite internet as my ISP. It goes dish > modem > router > PC. I tried bypassing my router by hooking the cable straight to my PC, that didn't work either. I use Windows 7.

Level 3
Latest patch (1.30.4) or PTR (1.31)?

The topic has been started before: Hosted LAN maps do not show up for friend but his show up for me

This is not Off-Topic by the way...

And yeah, in hindsight, I guess I should have put it in Warcraft 3 Town Hall. I just didn't notice that at first 'cause so many other topics are World Editor-centric. Thanks.

One thing, though, I'm not hosting on LAN, I'm hosting on Battle.net. So a significant difference there.

~El

Level 17
Forwarding ports is generally no longer a requirement for hosting games. That was the whole point of the whole "games hosted by blizzard" ordeal. So it's definitely not your ports being misconfigured or whatnot.

Try to see if any of your firewalls (default Windows or any additional ones you have installed/enabled) are blocking WC3, and maybe disable them temporarily to see if it helps the issue. I can't recount the number of times the Windows firewall has been a pain in my ass, so it's not an unlikely possibility.

Level 3
Forwarding ports is generally no longer a requirement for hosting games. That was the whole point of the whole "games hosted by blizzard" ordeal. So it's definitely not your ports being misconfigured or whatnot.

Try to see if any of your firewalls (default Windows or any additional ones you have installed/enabled) are blocking WC3, and maybe disable them temporarily to see if it helps the issue. I can't recount the number of times the Windows firewall has been a pain in my ass, so it's not an unlikely possibility.
Turned off Windows Firewall, and everything else I had (the rest was mostly just antivirus), and that did precisely nothing.

Here is the rub: If I take this computer to another location, one that has straight-up DSL internet instead of my satellite, and I leave everything else unchanged, it DOES work. I CAN host games. Somehow, using a different ISP made all the difference. What really confuses me is that this was never an issue before; I could always host games with my HughesNet satellite, right up until Blizzard did its big patch and changed its hosting rules. I actually think I remember being able to host a little after that, even, but somewhere along the line, it just stopped working.

Like I said, I tried completely bypassing my router, and that didn't work. But taking it to a different location and hooking it up to faster DSL, that DID work.

Level 17
This worked for me:

upload_2019-9-22_7-48-47.png

upload_2019-9-22_7-47-15.png

EDIT:

Maybe it didn't work! I found out I was region locked to Asia, so only a small number of non-English speaking players saw my game. I used a VPN (talk about overkill) to get around this, lo-and-behold, it worked!

Windscribe gives you a free trial, 2 GB (without email verification) and I'm pretty sure that's enough for Warcraft lul

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.