• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I am worried no one will like my map...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi there...
Basicly, I am making a Dungeon sort of map, you play 10 people and fight vs creeps and scripted bosses. The design is based of the Zul'Aman raid instance in WoW.

However I just read a thread (on another site) bashing some poor guy to pieces for making a WoW map. I don't make a WoW map because I am to lazy to think up something original, actually I was like totally excited when I came up with the idea, I would make he bosses scripted exactly like they was in real WoW etc. and all the spells. Wow! It's gonna be awesome I thought. And I thought it would be really challenging to make also.

However I am really worried noone will be interested because of
1) It is a WoW map (GO PLAY THE REAL GAEM COS RIPPOFFS ARE UNORIGINAL PPL DONT WANNA PLAY RIPPOFFS THEY CAN PLAY THE REAL WOW GAEM)
2) It requires 10 players that stays all the way. (if more than 1 people leaves the rest is doomed)
3) it might be hard to learn to play a wow class when handed to you with 7 spells and no more instructions than "you heal" or "you deal damage" or "you tank the creeps" (though I nerfed the difficulty of all encounters A LOT, all bosses should go down on first or second attempt)

However I've worked avout 4 months with it and I dont want all that work to be for nothing. I sat with reference images and everything to get the enviroment and texturing to be to scale and accurate with how the zone looks in WoW.

I put a lot of effort and work into it (and I am not even done yet) but now I just feel everyone will bash it to pieces for being a "WoW rippoff" and no-one will be interested...

Should I complete it or just leave it?? I dont know what to do in this situation...

Level 21
Well, haha, there is already a WoW Instance Project, so better make it not exactly like WoW, make it on your own, think of some cool bosses, make them real, think of your dream boss, maybe a duo of bosses, brothers, which do tag team attacks, but don't do stuff which is already made by other people (Asomath does the WoW Instance Project).

But keep the idea, i already made 3 boss maps, and they turned out good so far, i will attach them, so maybe you get inspired by them.

Attachments

• Boss Fight Aquaros.w3x
    56.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Boss Fight Fujin and Raijin.w3x
    340.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Boss Fight Lord Golem.w3x
    139.8 KB · Views: 36
Level 5
Because I already made all of the basic terrain, scripted all bosses and spells etc...

What instances is the WoW Instance Project doing?

I am only doing a complete Zul'Aman

Level 27
Mapping isn't only about what you get out - it's what you put in.
Surely, you learned something while making this map; maybe how to do a trigger or two, or perhaps a better understanding on the World Editor.
And surely, you are pleased with your work if you are willing to call it complete. This self-satisfaction is also a good thing.
The fact that you are determined enough to work on, and finish a map, after 4 months shows that this map wasn't "for nothing", regardless of the public opinion.
If you had fun making your map, and are happy with it, then the outside community's opinion means nothing.
--donut3.5--

Level 5
well it wont turn out too well with that sort of attitude! :D
If there is already a map exactly the same as yours or even better, why not just edit the map? In fact, you can add even more things and stray off the WoW topic even more.
I mean, diversity is good.
though why you would want to make a map based off a WoW instance ill never know.

Level 5
I didnt even know that project existed until today... 4 months ago I thought I was the first one to make a ZulAman raid for wc3 since I searched a lot of sites for it... and no some suckers who probably know Jass are gonna make another Zulaman with better terrain and triggers... why do I even bother continuing, allthough I sat 1 week to just get the basic terrain (for trees and doodads I was on a private wow server and took screenshots so I could place ALL the trees at the right place and about the right size... sigh) in the same proportions etc as the real place...

Level 13
Good map is a good map, no mater what the genre is, it will have its fans. If its bad then you should just take the critic and make the map better (like im doing). If you havent made many maps before the map probly wont be good, but keep on working it. If you aint sure about the map being good, then it probly isnt (yet?).

Level 12
Let me tell you, if you make the map, idc if its based off WoW, I will play it. Its not about the idea... well it is, but its also about game mechanics, looks, feel, and fun. And if you got all of those down, then it doesnt matter if the idea is sub-par.

And besides, I am a ret pally who only pvps, its not like I will get to do Zul'Aman any time soon in my WoW career.

Status
Not open for further replies.