• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

humm need a easy map type to start!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
ok well...hi:)

humm im new to warcraft map editing i actually never tried it before but i love trying new stuff and i wanna try to script things in JASS actually its one of the language i never heard of or used... im kinda good at scripting and experimented with a lot of language (xhtml, css, php, javascript, pearl, brainfuck:p, c++, ruby on rai l, actionscript, Python) and i would like to start by creating a map type that is pretty easy but need to be scripted a bit and since i never try it. And i would like to know wich of these language mentioned up look or as the same difficulti as JASS. and also i would like to know if i need to use another map editor to script in JASS since the normal language is GUI.

Thanks for your help and time:grin:

-Amically yours Mystical_Sage

ps : sorry if i misspelled some word im not native english i really apologyze for any obvious error or chat word in this message. :grin: :)

Last edited:
Level 8
If you're really that new to mapping, you should probably not get started with scripting. Play around with WE, and learn exactly how it works. Make yourself familiar enough with it that you can make it do whatever you want (within the limits of the WC3 engine, of course). Once you understand that, then you should start with scripting. I personally started by making hero maps, or sometimes short, standalone missions. I find the easiest kind of map to make for me is a hero arena type of map. Keep in mind that making a decent map is a difficult, time consuming process, but can be very rewarding if you stick to it and don't get frustrated. Good luck, and have fun.

Level 2

well... ok ill try to familyarize with it learning trigger and everything is rpg is easy to make even if to map are really boring to play migth be fun to just ya... make it anyway maybe the fact that I made will make it funnier Hehe who knows even if i doubt on it. well... gota start somewhere thats what they say.... i dont think the dude who make dota make it from is first try:cool:....

thanyou for your response and is there any tool i should get before starting??

Ho and dont worrie for time consuming stuff lol im used to it :D making web site or small aplication is really LONG AND TIME CONSUMING AND EFFORT DEMANDING..
or even flash game are so long to debug and fix i will be ok with map editing im pretty sure.... :D

ho and what kind of scripting jass is... is it a object one...

Last edited:
Level 8
If you plan on doing any skinning or modeling (I wouldn't expect you to this early) grab an mpq app and a program like WC3viewer (both can be found here), and an image manipulation programm, of course (GIMP is good). Other than that, you're good to go on the tools. And I believe JASS is object. RPGs can be incredibly difficult to make, depending on how much you put into one.

Level 2
dude why would somebody make a rpg if its borring you better use rpg maker if ya want to do a rpg lol :) guess not everyone think like me lol..

hey your my enemy your black GRRRRRR..... I SHALL DESTROY YOU!!!!! WITH MY
DOUBLING SEASON AND ALL MY LITTLE SAPROLING HAHAHAHA :eekani: :eek:
:eekani: ok humm.. ya hummm... well... i think i like this game a bit to much lol sorry if i look a bit weird :confused: :D

Level 40
Well... Jass is Procedural (functions, yadda yadda yadda), but the vJass precompiler (available over at www.wc3campaigns.net) changes it to be semi-OO.

In other news, if you really want to start JASS off the bat (provided you have sufficient experience with other languages first) without dabbling much in GUI, then I suggest you get JassCraft, also available in the tools section at www.wc3campaigns.net. It's really handy for finding the functions you need.

If you're unsure of what a function may be called, or how much flexibility you have, GUI is still great for temporarily opening to use its sorting to easily find what you want, then using Edit => 'Convert to Custom Text' to find the function name in JASS.

Note: most functions found in GUI will be 'BJs', which are basically wrapper functions. Due to custom functions being extremely slow in JASS (a custom function with a completely empty interior is about 10% slower than the Sin native, if that means anything to you), it's a good idea to hunt them down with JassCraft and replace them with their native equivelants.

Convert to Custom text is also great for finding out some of the basic JASS syntax, and there are some nice tutorials found on this site which can also help.

And you've never heard of JASS (well, I think it's technically called JASS2) because it isn't a full programming language; it's written by Blizzard for use in wc3 only, as it's quite easy to find out when you start looking at the various functions. (Since when did C or Python have CreateUnit? :p)

[off-topic]

White is my favorite, but red burn can be quite fun too.

Level 2
well this is a quite interesting answer to all my question ill start reading those tut rigth now will cheking here for responce :smile: (dud i love those little grunt smilly) but there is still one question that need to be answered... a huge one... the migthiest question of all question...the question in wich if i have no answer i will never start my journey in map creating world...the answer of this question will determine my near future destiny... and that question is...is.....is...........i know you wanna know it but i will still make you wait by writting this useless phrase......is.......any idea on a map that is easy (well not to much i like challenge) to do and need a beginner to normal skill in JASS but it need to be a fun type of map i mean not just a 2v2 map lol....

off topic: actually i love all color in magic green for is easy flow and easy synergie, blue for is complexity and deepness, red for is direct an straigth hardcore brute power, black for his pressure and influence and finally white for is ligthness and protection. but i still preffer green i dont know its the color that i have alot of affinity with.

hey if ya play on magicworkstation maybe we could play against by entering our deck in it... or just play together with overpowered deck containing 4 black lotus lol.... or if ya live in montreal wich i doubt lol...

and i love your signature lol...:grin:

amicaly yours blackbomb

Last edited:
Level 4
make an rpg

for challenges in coding it would seem the most straight forward and the one you would be most in control of
also probably take the longest to finish from a coding perspective
an rpg is simple straight forward and easy
the more you envision and the more you learn the harder and more complicated it becomes

things like aos and TD's have their good and bad side but their main time consumers are balance that has little to do with coding

Level 2
well rpg seem kinda interesting to make just for learning (cuz as mentioned bellow i hate rpg in warcraft and especially life of a somethin g ya know what i mean but i have an idea that i just got looking at a empty 32x32 map.... i sadi ill make a capture the flag map with hero.... is it possible???

i mean there would be 3v3 or 4v4 otr maybe 5v5 but it would be a bit to much lol for a small map migth have to make in a 64 x 64 but i hate it i dont know where to start lol... everybody would choose a hero at lvl 1 maybe there would be some neutral sleeping creeps spared in the map idk but i would make so that the green point dosent appear so nobody know where they are... humm there would maybe be a mutual shop at the middle of the map to had a bit of strat like if you control the shop area you cut opponent from buying item... the sigth radius would have to be really small to make it possible to sneak into the base and the goal would be to go get something i dont know what maybe an item but this item would be only pickable by the opponent on a certain area but would drop if the oponent die and then could be taken by the (flag owner team) to bring it back to the original area or better the item would drop on dying and would hurt the carrier to make it harder to bring back and also to make it so that the team who own the flag dont carie it lol... anyway i hope you understand if ya dont ask me your question if ya understand tell me if its possible and what would i need.. i think its a new idea i never saw something like that before.... and i would like you to tell me if ya like the idea or not and.... i know its kinda earlie but if you would like to beta test it....lol.... well when the beta will be out...

Level 40
Yes, it would be possible (quite possible), and would probably be a good place to start (don't expect it to turn out well, though; first maps almost never do)

Off-Topic:
Anyhow, nope, I live 2 hrs away from both Toronto and Ottawa. I haven't opened MWS in ages, but I suppose I could get around to it again. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss the magic bit further.

Level 2
yea i think its not the best place to talk about magic LAWL anyway lets stop going off topic for a bit...

well ill try to make it ok but god this editor is a mess for finding basic thing such as creating team and making start point with nothing in i mean like no town hall and everything LAWL anyway there must be a tut wich will tell me whats the basic thing lol

ill make alot of version the idea i got look really funny i would love to play a map like that its a bit like dota but its not like copied on it it have a different objective and i never saw something looking like it. im a bit tired of all "just another td" stuff..

anyway what do you think about it... would you play a game like that i mean... if ya never heard about it and one day looking on custom game list you saw a game name called ~CAPTURE THE FLAG~COME FAST~FUN~...

and ye is there anyway i could look at a somekind similar game file so i could look how they done and learn faster...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.