• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to make a model use many skins 'mon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Greetings 'mon! I need some help with regards to this problem of mine. You see i want to use the skin i downloaded from this site and i also want to use the original skin in my project. I tried the tutorials in the forum, but it never worked for me. I would be glad if anyone could help me on this issue. I've been after the answers for 2 months now after i started modeling. Once this problem is solved i can continue my project. Thanks in advanced 'mon.

Note: If any of you are curious about what my project is, leave questions at my profile page. My project is no normal project. Answers are in my profile page.

I'll see ya 'mon.

Level 2
What sort of program? I already applied the skin by opening the original model then saving it in a directory where the skin is named. After that i used the MDX Pather to change the path into the name of the skin like for example: Textures\Skeleton.blp, i change it into the skins name which is for example Mummy.blp. So the path now should read Textures\Mummy.blp. After that i saved and then opened War3 Model Editor and opened the model. But when i imported the model into Warcraft III World Editor, i didnt know the right paths at all. When i tested the game all that appears is the team color parts of the model. Its frustrating really. Which one should i path the .mdx file or the .blp file. Another is should i even import the skin with it or not? I really couldn't solve this. I tried almost everything, even the tuturials here about this problem and none of them didn't work. Maybe i am missing something. If anyone can help me with this, i would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced.

I'll see ya 'mon.

Level 11
you must also import the texture with the name of the texture
example : TissueRoll.blp
you must open the Texture Manager and Import the file TissueRoll.blp and not changing its name
after that save the model import both the saved model and the texture to the world editor
and when Importing, Remove the war3Imports/ or something like that on the beginning of the imported file
after doing these restart the world editor then boom, it works

Level 2
So what you're telling me is that i should not change the name of the skin but surely i must remove the war3imorted thing and not put any textures thing on it just remove the war3imported then save? Is that what you're trying to say?

Level 2
Saif 'mon. I did what you replied to me. Now instead of the team color parts of the model showing, its now a green and black checkered cube and it says could not load model file. Thats even worse than the team color parts of the model showing! Maybe there is something wrong with how i edited the model by just applying the texture or skin onto it.

Anyone PLEASE HELP ME!!

Thanks in advanced.

I'll see ya 'mon.

Level 11
do you use magos? when you make your own model, import the texture you would want to use. Then apply the texture to all the parts you want to retexture.
next save it as, for example, TissueBoy.mdx
after this import Tissueboy.mdx and the path of the texture when you made the model
Tissueroll.blp
Now in the Import manager the imported files should be "Tissueboy.mdx" and "Tissueroll.blp" without the war3mapimported something.
Restart editor then re open

Level 2
I use the War3 Model Editor created by Magos. What path of the texture\skin? How exactly should o know the right paths? Another is should i import the the skin with the model after i pathed it in the mdx pather? This is confusing. Maybe i should tell you my real situation.

Level 2
Alright this is my problem. I downloaded a skin from this website called "Mummy" that was created by Pins. This skin replaces the "Skeleton Warrior" skin. The original skin in the game. Now in my initial knowledge skins replace the original skins of the model in the map. So since it was like that, i decided that i will open the War3 Model Editor and change the texture that it uses in the texture manager. I saved it with the portrait "Skeleton_portrait.mdx". When i imported it into the World Editor, of course i removed the war3imported thing in the file when you put the full path. But i was unsure cause i did'nt know the right paths or even know which are the right ones to import. I imported the Skeleton.mdx which had the Mummy texture on it already. The Skeleton _portrait was there to along with the mummy texture inside the model itself. After i saved and reopned the World Editor, There it was the it was only the shield which had the team color parts in it in the skeleton model showing. So i was wrong. I went to the forums in this site and read the tutorial "How to make a model use many skins". So i did what they put there in the tutorial. I tried ozo2's tutorial and it failed. Mecheon's tutorial also failed for me. Then came YoshiRyu's tutorial which was promising enough until it went to the part where it said to import it in the world editor. It became confusing again because i don't know if i should import the texture with the models including the portrait and which ones should i path properly and what is the true path of the files the mdx or blp.

Thanks if answered.
Please make it clear for me to understand well.
I see ya 'mon.

Level 11
Ok first give me the file and Ill show you how I will do it, I will provide screenshots
attack the skin here

Level 2
Saif, hope this doesnt bother you but how do you post an attachment? no one taught me this yet. i just type messages more nothing more than that can you tell me how?

Level 11
when you type, right it says under Go Advanced, click that then manage attachments then upload, when upload is done post your reply

Level 2
So you were able to see what i uploaded? I thought i was wrong cause i didn't see anything but my message. Where was the one i uploaded anyway? Where did you see it? I only saw my reply\message. So i was correct in doing it?

Hehe, i didn't even know 'mon.

Level 11
Ok here you go, first download this file.
then import all of them to your map, remove the war3imports/ at the beginning
the paths of the file must look like
TissueBoy.mdx
TissueBoy_Portrait.mdx
TissueRoll.blp
after that close the world editor then re open it then boom xD

Level 11
Here you go !

1. OK First step open magos World Editor
1-3.png

2. Second, Under Windows choose MPQ Browser
2-3.png

3. Under File, Open war3.mpq then go to Units>Undead>Skeleton then double click Skeleton.mdx
3-3.png

(Close the MPQ Browser and it should now look something like this)
4-3.png

4. Now go Under Windows again and now texture Manager
5-3.png

5. Now Import your custom texture
6-3.png

7-3.png

6. Delete the texture that was currently being used and then click yes when a message pops up
8-2.png

7. Under Windows again, select Material Manager
9-2.png

8. Open all the Materials and then change <None> with your texture
(Dont change the other textures such has Replacable Id, Etc.)
10-2.png

9. Your model will now look like this
11-2.png

10. Last Step, save your model as (FileName).mdx
12-1.png

Import your file and the texture you used in the world editor then boom.
this is just basic, if you want to lower a filesize of a model read on tutorials Here.

Happy Mapping xD

Level 2
Thanks Saif. You helped me a lot. Know i know this i can continue my project and start uploading my models, skins and maps.

Thanks again.
You rock 'mon.

Naturepaw Tribe is out 'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.