• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to Export original units ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi there folks, I need help with an issue

I dunno how to Export original wc3 units... 'cause I want to modify some units in gmax... and to do that, I need to export some of the original units of Wc3... so how do i do ? :)

Level 8
I'm assuming you're talking about the models used by the units. You open the Warcraft 3 MPQ (found in the WC3 install directory) and then you can export the .mdx files (usually by clicking an extract button or right clicking and clicking extract, depending on what program you use).

Level 32
MPQ master v1.2.0 is, in my opinion, the best MPQ application available.

To extract resources from Warcraft III:
  1. Install and open the program.

2. Open the .mpq file that contains the desired resource, either war3.mpq, war3x.mpq, or war3patch.mpq.

3. Open the .mpq's list file and browse to a specific resource.

4. Right-click on the resource and select: Extract

5. Save the extracted file(s).

Level 4
Yeah guys... I appretiate your help :) ... but the real problem is... I dunno how to get the Units out of World Editor... Let's say I want to modify The Blademaster... how should I do to get him out of the World Editor ?

Level 32
Yeah guys... I appretiate your help :) ... but the real problem is... I dunno how to get the Units out of World Editor... Let's say I want to modify The Blademaster... how should I do to get him out of the World Editor ?
This is exactly the problem you are having. You DON'T use the World Editor to EXTRACT the files: you use your MPQ application. WE can export only those resources already imported into a specific map, not all default Blizzard resources.

Level 4
Ok :D ... now I see it... Thanks alot Wolverabid and DarkDenizen :D :D :D... I can now finally start to model my own units :D ... THX alot guys :D

But now I have a new problem :S ... I can't open the mdx files in Gmax... how should I do to succeed ? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.