• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to Change the Priority of a Unit - in a selected Group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
How to Change the Priority of a Unit - in a selected Group?

Yeah i wonder how you can change the priority in which units are arranged if you select a bunch of different units..

So for example i have a new spell caster unit -that was originally a lame close combat unit - without any special abilities - and was therefore further down/right in the selection - so that if you pressed "TAB" you first got to pick the units, who could do something special.

A Footman would be considered less important to select than a priest for example. Is there a way to change those values in which order they are arranged? So that my kick-ass spell caster is treated with the respect he deserves.

Thx in advance.

Note: I guess its not this..
(thx http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/uniteditor.php)
"Stats - Priority (Integer)
Defines at what point the unit/building/hero will be attacked when within a group of units/buildings/heroes being attacked. The values entered can range from 0 to 20, with 0 meaning that the unit/building/hero will be attacked last, and 20 meaning that it will be attacked first."

Level 9
Note: I guess its not this..
(thx http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/uniteditor.php)
"Stats - Priority (Integer)
Defines at what point the unit/building/hero will be attacked when within a group of units/buildings/heroes being attacked. The values entered can range from 0 to 20, with 0 meaning that the unit/building/hero will be attacked last, and 20 meaning that it will be attacked first."

You're wrong, it's exactly that. The units with higher priority values will be arranged first in the selection.
For example, when you select a Footman (Priority 6), a Rifleman (Priority 2) and a Knight (Priority 3), they are arranged this way:

Footman -- Knight -- Rifleman

The Footman is arranged first because he has the highest priority. Then comes the Knight, and last, the Rifleman. If you change those priority values, you can change the way untis arrange. I've just tested it right now, and it works.

I hope this is what you meant.

Kind Regards

Level 8
Yup that works! Thanks dude!

Yeah i was just stupid - had changed the priority of a morphed unit and saw that the priority of the original (unmorphed) unit didn't change...

But is the other statement then just false? Does it affect the priority of being targeted as a more valuable/vulnerable unit?

Level 9
I'm not really sure. I made a quick test to see if units with higher priority are targeted more often, but the computer just seems to attack the nearest unit, without caring about priorities.
However, maybe the WC3 AI does check the priorities of units before attacking (I'm talking about the AI you can make with the AI Editor), and maybe triggered AI systems can also check priorities. But I can't confirm this, I'd have to make some more testing. Maybe someone else can give some more useful advice here.

Kind Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.