• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to add buff to the unit after casting an ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
How to add buff to the unit after casting an ability based on "Channel"?
I assigned required buff to an ability in WE... but it doesn't work!.. Need Help!

Level 6
Wrong place to post, this is the forum for advertising maps :p

There are a few ways going at it, since you can't manually add a buff to an unit by triggers, but there are:

1. dummy aura or something similar that can be hidden by using a disabled spellbook but you would have to index the unit dynamically if you want it to be mui, and use timers
2. using some kind of system like Wietlol's effect over time system, since that has options that can display buffs, or
3. use another spell that displays a buff on the target normally, such as faerie fire (though it will reveal the unit)

Last edited:
Level 3
3. use another spell that displays a buff on the target normally, such as faerie fire (though it will reveal the unit)

I tryed this method but didn't found an ability that should have "no target" and use the animation of casting unit like "Tranquility" or "Big Bad Voodoo", but they don't add the buff to the caster, only to allies in area...
Maybe you'll tell to me an ability i can use in my case?

Level 24
2. using some kind of system like Wietlol's effect over time system, since that has options that can display buffs, or

YAY!!!

Well... there are 3 solutions... and no Alright only mentioned two.

• Create an ability based of any ability that applied a non-effect-buff.
    This could be Slow for example (when the slow effect is 0%).
    This means that you cant use Storm bolt because that has a hardcoded stun in it.
    The problem is that only one buff of the same parent ability can be active on the same unit. When a unit gains a buff of an ability and had a different buff of an ability with the same parent ability, boths buffs are removed.
    What you have to do is make a dummy unit and let that one cast that spell on the target (which needs a buff).
  • Create an aura which only targets the caster himself (targeting "self, invulnerable, vulnerable")
    This has not got the problem about parent abilities. But this one has a different problem. AI does not recognize aura abilities as such danger to be dispelled because they will be remade within a second after the dispel after all.
    That is why Blizzard thought it would be useless to remove aura effects from units on dispels. That is why every single dispel ability does not remove aura effects.
    What you have to do is give the target a hidden spellbook that has the aura effect and remove it when the buff should be removed.
  • Use a Buff System... well... There is a reason why I have made it. (1. because it is hard to make workaround every time. 2. because I couldn't find another good working buff system.)
    What you have to do is already done inside the system and it requires even less configuration than the second option.
    Mine however is still under development and has a few bugs in it. So you can use it but it is not guaranteed that it will won't crash WC3. It also is pretty hard to use compared to other "simple" resources. But it is worth it to learn.
    This weekend I will update all of my resources and probably upload 2 more.

Level 3
What spell/ability are you trying to make, exactly?

The unit should cast an ability with "no target" that should add the buff to the caster. Second rule - caster should execute animation "spell" during casting this ability.
Ability discription: this spell should give the charge of lightning to the weapon of casting unit

Level 6
So make a dummy Thunder Clap based on your original spell for the hero to use, trigger it normally (and remove slam animation and effects and such), and make another dummy spell Rejuvenation, make it heal for 0, and cast it on the caster using a dummy unit, which will show the buff, with the tooltip/duration you can change and such. Just make sure to get rid of the rejuvenation effect and you should be definitely good.

Alternatively, a buff system (I think Wietlol got a kick out of this when I spoke of his system, since he's trying to advertise it to everywhere :p) can work wonders, and is probably easier.

Level 24
Alternatively, a buff system (I think Wietlol got a kick out of this when I spoke of his system, since he's trying to advertise it to everywhere :p) can work wonders, and is probably easier.

:D

Even with it's flaws... it is still the only one with actual buffs.
But yea there is something weird when I make a system.
Everytime when I started until just after I finished it, there are many people that ask questions about how to do something that actually would be the best to use that system for.

Ofcourse there are also other questions but I haven't seen any buff thing questions before I started with the Effect Over Time System.

Recently I started with a missile system and there are a few requests and stuff asked just after I started.

I wonder if people will start asking stuff about events after this weekend... or summoning 2 weeks later. Or... well I think I will bunch those systems together and make a Spell Engine maybe.
Almost everything that a spell could possibly do could be done in the systems that I have (in development).

But the cause would probably be more because someone is stalking me and sends a few people to ask questions when I am busy :D

(Yea I know that when you do somethin, you will be paying more attention to things of that subject than before but that is not in this case.)

Status
Not open for further replies.