• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you make a "splat" actor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I want to make a buildable unit "Field" that changes the texture on the ground under it to "Agria - Crops" while alive. I've made builders and buildable units before, so that's no problem. I'm still pretty nooby with the data editor, but I understand now how it's structured and such. My problem is how to change the ground texture.

I figured out that it can probably be done an actor of type "splat", but unfortunately I can't find an appropriate actor to duplicate. Please, if you have any suggestions or know something about how splat actors work with data fields and such.

Presumably, the ground-cursor you get when using an AoE ability is a splat actor, since it makes a "splat" on the ground (texture that sticks on top of the surface as opposed to a horizontal plane which is not what I want.)

Hmm, I found the actors: "AoEAttackBase", "AoEAttackShieldHitter", "AoESplashShieldHitter". Don't know if they would be useful. I can find no way to set a token unit for duplicates of those, so I can't test those and so I guess not.

The final actor should resemble when you click once with the diamond-shaped paintbrush on full Increment and no Falloff in the Terrain editor.

Well, any help will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Level 10
Thanks a lot! I didn't find such a tutorial on mapster, but I'll keep looking for tutorials on decals. Though, you helped me to find some decal objects in the editor to examine a bit closer.

Avoid duplication. Rather try and build up from scratch as that way you can be sure of integrity.
Warning taken and understood. But on my first try it might be easier to duplicate first because I am more likely to see some close to desired results when testing the map.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.