• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] How do I save a map without having to put starting location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So i was just editing this map and the creator did not put any starting location except for the player.After editing, when I try to save, it asks me to automatically generate starting locations. It broke the map when I asked it to generate. How did the original creator save the map without the starting locations?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The number of required starting locations is based on the number of used slots. By default a map will only have 1 used slot, player 1 red. If another slot is used, e.g. to allow playing in the custom game list, then another starting location will need to be placed.

Level 2
The number of required starting locations is based on the number of used slots. By default a map will only have 1 used slot, player 1 red. If another slot is used, e.g. to allow playing in the custom game list, then another starting location will need to be placed.
He has 5 more AIs but hasn't put starting location for any of them. Its this map: [WoR] Jungle Fever v6.1. Please take a look and help me if you can.

Level 8
So i was just editing this map and the creator did not put any starting location except for the player.After editing, when I try to save, it asks me to automatically generate starting locations. It broke the map when I asked it to generate. How did the original creator save the map without the starting locations?

Genuinely curious. Why don't you want starting locations?

Level 2
Genuinely curious. Why don't you want starting locations?
Because it is not my map and the creator made it that way. Creating any starting location breaks the race selection process and thus, the map itself. I just need to make a few tweaks for my convenience, but i don't want to break the map.

Level 12
Maybe don't deprotect and/or modify other people's map without permission.

Level 8
Because it is not my map and the creator made it that way. Creating any starting location breaks the race selection process and thus, the map itself. I just need to make a few tweaks for my convenience, but i don't want to break the map.
That sounds like an extremely hacky workaround. How about simply fixing the issue instead?

Level 8
All the modifying set aside, the question still stands, how to avoid automatically generating starting locations?
I'm pretty sure that the answer is that you can't, and that this was done in the original map by directly deleting them from the map file with a text editor, or using some third party software to bypass it somehow.

If I am right about that, then this is kind of a persistent problem that would have to be fixed every time the map is saved.
But hey, now that I think about it, this may actually be an intentional map protection tecnique.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It's not protected.
The map is protected. Look under Triggers and you will see there are none. It was protected at least using Vexorian's optimizer to delete all World Editor trigger data while placing dummy blank files so the map can still be opened in the editor.

Hence it breaks when you save because all the triggers in the map script file are deleted due to World Editor lacking the trigger data to rebuild them. The fact some starting locations are missing does not matter when the entire trigger data is missing.

Level 2
The map is protected. Look under Triggers and you will see there are none. It was protected at least using Vexorian's optimizer to delete all World Editor trigger data while placing dummy blank files so the map can still be opened in the editor.

Hence it breaks when you save because all the triggers in the map script file are deleted due to World Editor lacking the trigger data to rebuild them. The fact some starting locations are missing does not matter when the entire trigger data is missing.

I didnt know that. What do I do then? Ive talked with the author but havent gotten a message back yet.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I didnt know that. What do I do then? Ive talked with the author but havent gotten a message back yet.
You can try modifying the map files directly. A map file as an archive file containing many map data files and imports. One can modify these separate files and recombine them to create an altered map. Of course this process requires considerable computer knowledge, cannot really use the World Editor to do some usually trivial tasks and is often frowned upon by some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.