• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How do I put units I downloaded into world editor?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As far as I am aware Hive Workshop does not provide you with units...

We do have a variety of spell maps which contain demonstration units but those are not meant for direct use and you should consult the importation documentation if you want to use them in your map.

If you mean a unit model then import the model file into your map and assign a unit object to it. You may need to save and restart the editor many times for the model to show up. Remember when importing textures that the path is case sensitive and the model will only look for it at a certain path (declared on the resource download page).

Level 9
Import files, save map, assing the files to objects. No need to restart the editor.

No Maker, a good 90% of the time you need to restart the editor and reopen your map for newly imported resources like skins and models to show up.

Sometimes you can get away with just saving, closing and reopening the map without closing the editor, not often though.

Maybe your using that Warcraft Editor Unlimited I see a lot of people using, and don't have to close your map for resources to display properly but I (and prehaps Dr Super Good) still use the old World Editor that came with RoC/TFT.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is mostly for skin resources or models that get referenced before they are imported correctly. Once WorldEdit loads an asset it gets cached so will remain in its current state until the program is closed. If that current state is broken (incorrectly imported model) or incorrect (wrong texture) then it will keep displaying that.

As far as I am aware, no modified editor changes this caching behaviour.

Level 37
No Maker, a good 90% of the time you need to restart the editor and reopen your map for newly imported resources like skins and models to show up.

No Jake Command Wolf, a good 0% of the time you need to restart the editor and reopen your map for newly imported resources like skins and models to show up.

I never reopen the map/editor just because I imported a model or a skin. Saving the map before using the imported material is enough.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Saving the map before using the imported material is enough.
This is true, except if you do forget to do so you will need to restart because the editor will load the resource in its old or non-existent form and so will appear incorrect.

Of course this is just so you can view it in WorldEdit as it will show up fine in-game (as the game does not share a resource cache with the editor like StarCraft II Editor does).

Status
Not open for further replies.