• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I make it so that I can destroy special effects which are made on unit group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of PolarityShiftCaster) matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of PolarityShiftCaster)) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is dead) Equal to False))) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Picked unit) using Abilities\Weapons\AvengerMissile\AvengerMissile.mdl
How do I remove all those special effects that were created on the units?

Level 7
The way I deal with special effects created this way is:

1.) Create a custom ability from Hurl Boulder or Firebolt, change its damage to 0, stun duration to 0, speed to 0 or 100000 (maximum value), mana cost to 0, and its Art to the effect you want. Remember to remove any requirements as well =)

2.) Create a custom dummy unit with that ability

Copy a non-structure unit (I usually copy Wisp because it already has no attack). And change its settings to:
Abilities - Normal: "Locust", "your effect ability"
Art - Model File:".mdl"
Combat - Attacks enabled: None
Editor Categorization - Special: True (optional)
Pathing - Collision Size: 0.00
Stats - Food Cost: 0
Stats - Unit Classification: Untick everything

3.) Trigger:

• Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Targets affected by your ability) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Storm Bolt (Picked unit)
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
I know this doesn't exactly deal with the problem, but it goes around it, so you don't have to deal with it, but you get the same results =)

Last edited:
Level 33
you can also use the dummy.mdx for a dummy unit... create that unit inside the loop, scale it, attach effect do the rest...
You cannot attach SFX to a unit by a unit (overhead, head, and other attachment points)
You can only attach SFX to a unit by an original SFX (unscaleable but it depends on the unit's size)

You can always readjust the dummy model you know...

anyway, I don't think scaling is a problem here... the OP only wants to know how to destroy those effects... he can do so via hashtables and some timed trigger...

Using dummy abilities that adds buff like stormbolt is not a good idea, because if some other ability which uses the same base as our dummy ability is casted upon the unit, their buff will never stack...

Only aura based abilities can stack buffs even if from the same base aura... which is why, custom buff systems [like Anitarf's] rely on the slow aura (because the main aura ability doesn't show on the UI too)

Status
Not open for further replies.