• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do i make a successful UV mapping ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
well this was my problem since long long time
now i started again to model, and it is still my problem...
im using the uv mapping features in vertex modifier, but it doesnt have the function to mirror!!!......
and anyway unwrapping/wrapping body parts like face, legs, chest, doesnt give a very good result, because the shadow always falls at the wrong spot on model...

do i need an extra tool for uv mapping?
thanks

Level 1
...the problem is, im using 3dsmax to model but never learn how to do uv-mapping with it....
lol i guess i need more tutorial....sad...

Level 9
WEll, I use gmax and they are pretty similar, you need to apply a UVUnwrap modifier and use the select face option to select the faces yuo want, then hit the "edit" button. There should also be a "filter selected verices button", it's a red arrow in gmax, to only show the faces you selcted. I think there's a good tutorial at the Hubb. I'll see if I can find it.

RiO

RiO

Level 1
Harusame said:
...the problem is, im using 3dsmax to model but never learn how to do uv-mapping with it....
lol i guess i need more tutorial....sad...
The problem is the default unwrapping tools in 3dsmax pretty much blow.

Get and install the UVHelp plugin; http://www.microcan.nl/language_english/uvHelp.htm

• Within the editable mesh modifier go to polygon sub-object mode and give sections of polygons you want to map onto one section of UV-map the same Material ID.
  • Add a Mesh Select modifier to the top of the modifier stack, go to polygon sub-object mode and 'select by ID'.
  • Add a UVW-map modifier, but keep the sub-object mode on the Mesh Select modifier turned on! This will only apply the mapping to the polygons you selected.
  • For now, just use a simple planar map. (This is just to make sure the section has a simple map, decoupled from the rest of the model's vertices, which otherwise would give a mess later on.)
  • Repeat adding Mesh Select and UVW-map for all Material IDs you split the model into.
  • Finally, add one more Mesh Select modifier at the top of the stack, and take it back out of sub-object level.
  • Collapse the modifier stack.
  • Apply UVW-unwrap modifier.
  • For each seperate section of the skinmap, look for edges that wouldn't be able to 'unfold' properly, and 'cut' them open.
  • For each section of the skinmap run the UVHelp plugin. Set it to something like 5000 iterations for complex meshes or 1000 for less complex meshes. Let it run and it will properly unfold (aka unwrap) the section of skinmap using the cuts you placed into it as a guidance.
  • Repeate UVHelp plugin for each section.
  • Rearrange unwrapped components to fit into the skinmap.
  • Rejoice as you have made a nigh-perfect UV-map in 20 minutes flat.

This method has not failed me once, and I've done a lot of models with it. A lot more complex than WCIII ones as well. (Talking 4000 polys here.)

PS: Is it just me or did Blizzard really do a shitty job with their UV-maps for Warcraft III? Almost all of it is front / back planar mapping instead of proper unwrapping. It quite painfully shows that Blizzard has its roots in 2D art, and not 3D art imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.