• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do i create an upgrade that allows acolytes to gather more gold per second?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Im in the process of creating my first map and was wondering how to enable acolytes to gather more gold per second (preferably without using triggers) when a player researches a certain upgrade. I did this for the night elf by making a custom upgrade and setting the data effect to "Gold Harvest Bonus (Entangle)". However i couldnt find a similar data effect for haunted gold mines. Then i decided to set the data effect as "Ability Level Bonus" and set the Ability affected as " Gather (Acolyte Gold). But when i tested the game it did not work. So does anybody know how i can solve this problem?

Level 12
First off, wait two days before posting another, separate post. Secondly, it's as simple as making a Custom ability based on the Human's Improved Lumber Harvesting ability. Take that custom ability, and change the field called:

"Data - Effect 1: Lumber Harvest Bonus"

To "Gold Harvest" The next two lines show the amounts of the upgrade.

"Data - Effect 1 - Lumber Harvast Bonus - Base:" (5)
"Data - Effect 1 - Lumber Harvast Bonus - Increment:" (5)
(These automatically change to Gold Harvest once you change the first one)

Those two mean that the upgrade (There's two levels of this upgrade, as defined below in that list) gives +5 Lumber gathering bonus per level. Level 1 you go from 10 to 15 (Or whatever it is. I haven't played a melee map in so many years I don't remember!)

All you have to do is change that one simple thing, then change:

"Stats - Race: Human"

to "Undead"

And then change the:

"Tech Tree Requirements"

to Halls of the Dead and Black Citadel (If you want it to behave exactly like the original ability). Then add it to whichever Undead building you want to add it to. I personally would add it to Graveyard, which I think is the equivalent (That's where ghouls can alternately return lumber to, right?), but it really doesn't matter too much which building you place it on. Just add it into the list of:

"Techtree - Researches Available"

and it should be available for usage.

Please test this out, and if you have any further questions, please don't be afraid to ask. If it doesn't work, and you did EXACTLY what I said, let me know, and I'll actually test this in a map (I didn't test it, cause I believe this should work).

GL :)

P.S. - This is all done in the Object Editor, under the "Upgrades" tab, until you go to add it to a building. Then you have to go to "Units" tab and go down to Undead, and then Building to add it to the building you wish.

Level 2
sorry man but ur method does not work. That method would only work for peons and peasants. The problem is that acolytes use a different ability to harvest gold, and because of this the gold harvest bonus does not affect them. But thanks for the help anyways

Level 12
Hmm... Okay, I can see why that would be so.

Did you try using the Entangle for the Undead as well?

Other than that, I'm really not too versed in editing object data like that, and am not sure how to do it otherwise... :(

Level 12
Well, sorry, wish I could help more. :(

My motto is: "It's usually the simple things, which we overlook, that are the oftentimes causes to our torment"

Level 2
I'd say, triggers all the way..
WHY don't you want it in triggers ?

I know that it is possible using triggers. But the problem is i want it to show in the gold numbers that float up when gold is being harvested from a haunted gold mine. And i dont think there is a way to do this. By using upgrades this problem would not occur

Level 2
OMG. i just got a an idea that i think could work. Since i can do this for the night elf how about i just change the model file for the entangled goldmine to a haunted gold mine and change the model of the wisp to a acolyte and use the same upgrade. I shall try this tmr. good night for now and thanks to evrybody who has tried to help me solve this problem so far

Level 12
ROFL okay that's scary, that thought came to me just a couple mins ago when I woke up, and was going to tell you.

ought to work. later, xD

Tee

Tee

Level 1
Try creating a custom ability "harvest" and change the "Date - Gold Capacity"

Level 11
What about making a 'Troll Berserker' upgrade with your upgrade's name.
Make a copy of the acolyte unit and change the old harvest spell with a new, better one, and make your old Acolyte upgrade into your new one.
If it is possible.

Level 2
What about making a 'Troll Berserker' upgrade with your upgrade's name.
Make a copy of the acolyte unit and change the old harvest spell with a new, better one, and make your old Acolyte upgrade into your new one.
If it is possible.

that would work. but i have no idea what ability/spell acolytes use to harvest gold

Level 11
Object editor -> Undead -> Melee -> Acolyte -> abilities (W/e the name of that field was :>), I'll check it right now.

Edit: Gather (Acolyte Gold) I belive that it is that ability.

Last Edit: Damnit, there is no field for money gathered :( Then was my plan impossible to do. :(((

Level 13
lol i tried doing this a long time ago also for one of my old maps.

the undead dont work that way at all like peons or N.E or human.

Their gold gathering is completely dependent on the haunted gold mine itself, and the gold mining ability that it has.

You would have to make an upgrade that affected that in order for it to work.
Check this map and test the UnDead gold mining ability gold upgrade i made. See if this is what your kind of looking for.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/world-war-iii-b-v3-47a-world-168954/

I made it a long time ago and i know much more now, there's probably a better way i can think of now.

Level 4
I do not know if the gold upgrade affects haunted gold mines an entangles gold mines. (and I cant test atm)
The gold gather rate is dicided by the mine istelf, not the worker.

If the gold upgrade does not work, just give the Haunted/Entagle Gold mine ability levels and use the upgrade to increase the level of the ability, just like the skeleton mastery upgrade.

Level 15
I made this map. When you research the upgrade all gold mines will be replaced with better ones. So far the only problems is to have acolytes continue their work.
Now all nearby acolytes that are currently mining will continue to do so. The problem is the order called smart, which is the right click. For now they will continue mining, if they are on the smart order.
To solve this problem, you would have to keep track of every order given to acolytes to know if the smart order was used on a mine or not.

EDIT: A simple fix to the smart command
If acolytes are ordered to use smart on haunted goldmines they automatically are ordered to use harvest.

Attachments

• Acolyte.w3x
    19.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.