• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How did they make this waterfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
How did they make this waterfall?

I am super confused. But I think it looks good.

I'm guessing its something to do with cliffs and water cliff brush, but idk.

There is no "apply height" being used here. It's all plateau flat.

ZvSFU0M.png

Level 6
water is just a combo of steep and shallow water, with raised cliff and terrain to make it taller.

Thanks for reply. I know what a waterfall doodad is. I know what you suggested isn't quite it. I kinda got a similar-ish effect by spamming various cliff and water cliff brush. It's not consistent at all and the water doesn't look quite as deep when I do it.

More like the picture I posted with the "deep" looking river, but knowing what you did there would be useful as well!!
The deep looking river is simply a result of Reforged graphics. The water looks a lot more "dense" in Reforged. Play around with cliffs and water levels, then you will see that what you try to achieve isn't that hard.

More like the picture I posted with the "deep" looking river, but knowing what you did there would be useful as well!!

That's actually the alternate way of making waterfall in classic since the waterfall model is terrible. You can replicate what I did by creating 3 maps.

1. Create a first new map, make sure the cliff height is set to 2.
2. Put a shallow/deep water in the terrain.
3. Create a second new map, make sure the cliff height is set to 4.
4. Again, put a shallow/deep water in the terrain.
5. Create a third new map, this time set the cliff height to 6.
6. Again, put a shallow/deep water in the terrain.
7. Go back to second map, copy paste the water that you created in step 4.
8. Go to first map, and paste the water (with cliff level 4 water) beside the water (at cliff level 2 water).
9. Do the same with the third map, copy paste the water (cliff level 6 water) and paste it in the first map beside water (with cliff level 4).

upload_2020-2-4_4-16-55.png

Last edited:
Level 65
It's-- arrgh.

Before when I'd paste a layer over it, it'd just raise the water level alone, since everything is (or was) on the same plane (the entire map's base was a shallow pool which I raised the land out of to avoid this bug) but now it's giving me these cliff nubs everywhere, and they're spreading all the way down the river @u@

It's-- arrgh.

Before when I'd paste a layer over it, it'd just raise the water level alone, since everything is (or was) on the same plane (the entire map's base was a shallow pool which I raised the land out of to avoid this bug) but now it's giving me these cliff nubs everywhere, and they're spreading all the way down the river @u@

You can do this, although it may affect the heights of your doodads that you manually raised/lowered.

Hit the 'Decrease 1 Level' with Size 8 brush in the terrain palette, then place it somewhere in your map, then hit the 'Same Level' with Size 8 brush and expand the area that you decreased and brush it all over your map, that way your map should have the same cliff level. (This technique will not work if you're using cliffs in your map, but I can see in your screenshot that you're not using it so you can try it).

Level 6
That's actually the alternate way of making waterfall in classic since the waterfall model is terrible. You can replicate what I did by creating 3 maps.

1. Create a first new map, make sure the cliff height is set to 2.
2. Put a shallow/deep water in the terrain.
3. Create a second new map, make sure the cliff height is set to 4.
4. Again, put a shallow/deep water in the terrain.
5. Create a third new map, this time set the cliff height to 6.
6. Again, put a shallow/deep water in the terrain.
7. Go back to second map, copy paste the water that you created in step 4.
8. Go to first map, and paste the water (with cliff level 4 water) beside the water (at cliff level 2 water).
9. Do the same with the third map, copy paste the water (cliff level 6 water) and paste it in the first map beside water (with cliff level 4).

View attachment 346182

Wow, I wasn't even sure copy pasting terrain like that was possible! I will try these things- thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.