• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how did he edit my map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
i just found out a twelve years old boy has edited the map i have been working on a year and uploaded it on epicwar.com. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
i used this map optimizer tool to protect my map. how can i prevent this from happenning in future? btw HOW IS THAT POSLLIBLE?:ogre_rage:

Level 4
im gonna quit making maps . whats the point in making a map that others can edit? if i knew maps can be deprotected i would never make a map in the first place.

i didnt give the unprotected version to anyone and my map is not english so i dont really feel good about uploading it in hive i just uploaded it in epicwar and put the download link in a few websites now that my map has become popular this guy is trying to steal my hard works he has even edited loading screen and few triggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 23
im gonna quit making maps . whats the point in making a map that others can edit? if i knew maps can be deprotected i would never make a map in the first place.

What exactly is your problem?
Did you never open a map you played on battle.net?
The optimizer is a 3rd party tool, protection wasn't intended in the first place, so get along with it.
Wc3 isn't that popular anymore and you should be happy enough if you get enough players to play your map, what do you care about a crappy editor on some website?
I don't see the point. I make maps for the fun of making & playing them, what is your point that is eliminated with missing protection?

Level 8
What exactly is your problem?
Did you never open a map you played on battle.net?
The optimizer is a 3rd party tool, protection wasn't intended in the first place, so get along with it.
Wc3 isn't that popular anymore and you should be happy enough if you get enough players to play your map, what do you care about a crappy editor on some website?
I don't see the point. I make maps for the fun of making & playing them, what is your point that is eliminated with missing protection?

Sorry, but every1 with "google" can unprotect map in 5 seconds

Frotty
Yep, pretty much agree with you.

ic3_water
They need some skills actually

Doctor Reza

Vex said in Map Optimizers Manual that Vexorian Map Optimizer isn't made for Protecting Maps, moreover, he said that Protecting and Deprotecting don't exist, he made that tool to Optimize Maps, not protecting them in the first place

i didnt give the unprotected version to anyone and my map is not english so i dont really feel good about uploading it in hive i just uploaded it in epicwar and put the download link in a few websites now that my map has become popular this guy is trying to steal my hard works he has even edited loading screen and few triggers.
You upload your map at Epicwar in the first place? Seriously, that place isn't protecting your map, they let thieves be, I recommend THW, BlizzModding, WC3C or other High-Ranking W3 Communities.

I recommend make your own site if you don't feel it will go well with site like THW and WC3C or other modding sites (no need to be big, but that proves that site is for the map of yours). I saw this frequently (take Battle Tanks and The Chosen Ones as example) as a measure to protect the official maps from being ripped, as the ripped version usually from Epicwar, Put the Official Site Link in a quest and on a In-Game Hint, tells them that they should only dl from that site.
Any measure of Deprotection can't decode the script, thus they can't edit your main triggers, which means people can see if it's a rip-off or official just by looking at the quests.

Level 30
Seriously, quitting on mapmaking because of this reason is I see pointless. Yes, even with protection it can be opened with higher programs I do know and you cant avoid it. These things happened to other people also so you should really stop complaining about this for it is not only you who experienced this. This is how map making is, you have your ALLIES and ENEMIES at the same time. Overall, as I said there is no way unless there will be something to invent that will stop this though looks impossible for hackers and such are getting smarter and such.

And to add Epicwar is really like a den of thieves (no offense and as what Daffa stated). There are quite people there that does this exact job of hacking maps and reproducing as their own so suggestion is stay out of such websites and instead go to webs that are trusted.

I just do suggest that you listen on Purge's tip! :cgrin:

Level 21
I don't really see the problem here.
Warcraft3 is a very easy game to hack. Even if you make your map absolutely unbreakable(impossible), then they can still easily hack it if they know what they're doing.
Thus, this is not the point.

The point is that the kind of person that wants to take your creation and upload it with few/no changes is usually very young and inexperienced(or they would make a better map).
This is the kind of people that map "protection" works against.

Just use some heavy optimizing and the widgetizer. This will fix any real problems.

Also, in case you ever run into problem proving that you made a map, then I'd simply show the previous versions to a mod, cos if you made it, then only you have ALL the versions.

Well , i have my own technique on protecting my map :D Adding wrong Program/Jass/Trigger to my map and it will show some errors

Even they deprotect my map , the map will not allow other users to open my map , but still , my resources are extract-able in using WME.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Buggy.png
    Buggy.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 225
Level 20
Map code is saved into a single long page that is obfuscated by the optimizer. When deprotected, map's code is messy and hard to read/edit. Because of this, you can implement some methods to detect edits on your map and crash the map if it's edited. It's hard for someone who deprotects the map to find the cause of such crashes, so it will hopefully turn people away from it.

Level 26
@ic3_water: What do you understand by deprotecting? If you are desperate, you can edit your map using a hex editor too. Of course, that is not as noob-friendly.

The editor and the wc3 game are two different programs and therefore may make different use of the data. For example, the object slks Widgetizer assembles and imports into the map are read by the game but the editor does not use those files for the object editor, at least not by opening the map.

You ask how you can effectively protect your map? By actually taking custom ways in creating it. Discard all the data that is only needed for the development process. Obsfucate all identifiers. In general raise the quality/uniqueness of your map, so even if technical barriers are overcome by invaders, they cannot easily modify anything without possibly breaking the engine.

Level 15
Ok Guys I could once Edit a map and restore all triggers .
Simply I rewrote JASS code as GUi , Took from me 1 week , but succeeded . Well there are deprotecting tools , and of course I didn't use one of them . I just found the map non-protected and jass triggers. Prbably Warcraft couldn't make it run . well I just wanted to fix it by rewriting it .

Level 15
What if I told you jass code does not need to have the pattern of what you would create with GUI? Seriously, you can only effectively rewrite jass as GUI if the trigger page was originally in GUI and just converted.
He absolutely wrote it in GUI , After protecting , it became JASS , But some where in wtg script , there are cammas which select the limit line of between triggers . So I separate triggers . :/ .
But gladly i found the map non protected even , just corrupted the triggers.

Level 4
i tried some deprotection tools and i found out that none of them can deprotect triggers! people can add triggers to deprotected maps but they cant edit or copy triggers! thats good enough for me.

Level 23
i tried some deprotection tools and i found out that none of them can deprotect triggers! people can add triggers to deprotected maps but they cant edit or copy triggers! thats good enough for me.

Good thing you read every post in this Thread. Oh wait.

You can protect the hell out of a map - if wc3 can read it, so can any proper MPQEditor.
Just get along with it. I don't even protect my maps anymore (unless for performance's sake)

Level 15
I have 2 special deprotecting tools which are not allowed here . Anyways , People can't edit or add triggers over the deprotected map since it becomes corrupted .
2- People can edit triggers and can COPY THEM!

But,I guarant the ebst protection of your map if you use
WC3SLK protector + Vexorians' + Spazzler !

I have tons of experience in mapping (this include protecting and deprotecting), in Deprotection, you can add triggers (test this myself in the past), but however, if the author use some script that corrupts map upon Deprotection, then that's another story.

jonhysone
Seriously? Even that protection can be breached easily.

I don't really see the point of protecting maps anymore... unless maybe you have a resource inside your map that you paid for in order to get...

And you don't really gain or lose something when someone hack thru your map and uploads it on epicwar, claiming it as his own work... he can even just upload your map directly into epicwar without hacking it...

Status
Not open for further replies.