• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i get media player to play m2ts files as video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Install the appropriate codex or use a different player. It can recognize the sound stream but not the video stream so only can play the sound stream. The opposite can also happen where it recognizes the video stream but not the sound stream so only plays video.

Level 8
I'd advise you to use another player. The current major players would be the KMplayer (I think I'd recommend this one as it kinda just works), VLC (close to kmp, really), and MPC-HC. If you still want to use wmp, well, google "windows media player codec pack" or something. Internet research skills are good!

Level 34
I'm not great with codex on WMP. I would recommend using another player though. VLC is probably the most popular and is great for its small size.

Edit: Zaka's post wasn't there when I responded. What he said basically.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Neither do I know, as it is just a container format. It may use any number of internal video stream formats inside the file so some may play back while others do not.

You can try the open source player VLC. That should run it as it has a library of supported video formats considerably larger than Windows Media Player 12 (which you say does run it). The player does not require an installation and is very light weight (you can even run it from a usb stick).

If the .m2ts file is ripped from a commercial Blu-Ray disc then Windows Media Player will never be able to run it, even on Windows 7. VLC will also not be able to run it (I think). This is because the video data is encrypted using proprietary algorithms and codes that cost a lot of money to access.

Apparently there are players that can run commercial (encrypted) .m2ts files which are also open source. However using them is at your own risk as they are inherently illegal in most countries and so make a great target for hackers to put malware in.

Status
Not open for further replies.