• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I boost boot time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB4sjz0td4k

He gives following tips on how to get faster boot up time:
1. Defrag your SSD
2. Take off Aero Peek and Transparent Glass
3. Disable virtual memory if you have 16 GB of RAM
4. Don't display the list of OS's on boot-up
5. Disable system protection of your boot drive (if you don't need protection, he doesn't need it cuz he don't get viruses)
6. No graphical boot on boot-up
7. Disable services you don't need
8. Disable auto-startup programs you don't need
9. Turn off hibernation via "powercfg -h off" on admin cmd

What else should I do?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

When I got it, around 37 seconds.

Currently, around 37 seconds.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't, believe me one of the computers I used to have took ~15 minutes to get onto internet. I loved playing windows games on it. Solitaire was my favourite <3

Edit: About about #5:

You can hear it to yourself at around 4:10: "I don't expose my computer to any harmful viruses or anything like that", isn't system protection to avoid registry failures and stuff, not viruses?

Level 29
First of all, it depends on your OS. Windows 8 is known to boot relatively fast compared to 7/XP.

Defragging is pretty useless with Windows 7/8 as far as I saw, they aren't as terrible as XP, but this might be because my memory isn't even close to being full.

2-6 and 9 honestly all sound like nonsense.

Assuming your hardware is decent, all you really care about is start up, and there are many things that might be running at start up which don't show up as doing so, and with no control over them.
Soluto, among other things, allows you to control these things, so I suggest you to check it out.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I can't use that app, it's for Android and iOS only. Yeah I use WP cuz I don' care about mobile apps that much >.<. I've heard that people are "rooting" their andoirds, which means some kind of hacking. Then they whine because not all apps support their hacked phones...

Windows automatically defrags my HDDs.

So you suggest switching over W8? It costs too much, but I'll look into it when I get the money. Or wait I want Wii U when I get money... well after that I'll get W8..

Level 16
1. Defrag your SSD

I think that's a big nono. Defragging, simply put, is a process in which the operating system reorders files on your storage to put them in a chronological order. Since normal Hard Drives (HDD) use a spinning needle, it allows the HDD to gather files faster if the files are properly ordered in the first place. Defragging is designed for the use on normal HDD.

A solid state drive (SSD) does not use a spinning needle and so it doesn't matter where the file is, it will always retrieve it with the same fast speed. SSD are subject to wear as files are written to the SSD just that little bit. Each file you put onto your computer wears out the SSD. The process of defragging moves files around the SSD A LOT. For this reason, you don't defrag a SSD.

In conclusion, defragging a SSD does nothing to improve speed, and yet will put unnecessary strain on it, wearing it out. From what I have read anyway.

Level 34
Do you have a SSD?

The only thing I could do to speed up my load time is disable the motherboard screen.

Even with that screen my PC starts in like 15 sec. Since it's a SSD, I can start using programs as soon as my desktop appears. I have a few programs that boot on startup and they don't even need to load before I can open my internet browser. Most of that stuff is pretty pointless. It would either do nothing, or shave milliseconds.

Level 29
I can't use that app, it's for Android and iOS only. Yeah I use WP cuz I don' care about mobile apps that much >.<. I've heard that people are "rooting" their andoirds, which means some kind of hacking. Then they whine because not all apps support their hacked phones...

Windows automatically defrags my HDDs.

So you suggest switching over W8? It costs too much, but I'll look into it when I get the money. Or wait I want Wii U when I get money... well after that I'll get W8..

Err...what? Soluto is a software + drivers for Windows. Maybe it has a front-end for mobile devices, but that's not relevant.

Yes, if boot times are so important to you, Windows 8 is a big part of the solution.

Level 15
Windows 7 Ultimate - less than 10 seconds boot. (Kingston HyperX 3K)

Also, Radicool is right, do not defrag your SSD, you only shorten its lifespan that way. SSDs have TRIM for that, HDDs on the other hand need to be defragged.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Defrag your SSD
Are you trolling? Defragmenting a SSD yields absolutely no speed boost (SSDs have no seek time) and will likely greatly degrade your SSD life. Most operating systems like Windows 7 and 8 will not even let you defragment SSD disks for this reason.

2. Take off Aero Peek and Transparent Glass
Will save some, but not worth it (a second or two at most, less with SSD).

3. Disable virtual memory if you have 16 GB of RAM
Are you trolling? Virtual memory cannot be disabled in modern OSs. It is required to manage process address space and memory allocation efficiently. Most programs cannot run without virtual memory as they expect to be allocated in their own virtual memory address range and cannot operate anywhere else in an address range.

Maybe you meant "Disable Virtual Memory Page File". This will certainly extend the life of SSDs but should make little difference to boot performance. Disabling all page files leaves your system at risk of out of memory errors, where by a single broken process could cause a BSoD by allocating all available system memory (part of the reason page files exist).

4. Don't display the list of OS's on boot-up
That just saves time at the bootloader. Actual OS booting will take as long with or without such a list being enabled as the list is managed entirely by the motherboard.

5. Disable system protection of your boot drive (if you don't need protection, he doesn't need it cuz he don't get viruses)
I fail to see how this will make your computer boot any faster. All backups are done in parallel to loading, usually after the computer has booted up to avoid I/O congestion.

6. No graphical boot on boot-up
OS needs to load fewer drivers if graphics are disabled. Pretty obvious.

7. Disable services you don't need
8. Disable auto-startup programs you don't need
Pretty obvious and actually has more effect than any of the above combined and is a lot less riskier than some of the above.

9. Turn off hibernation via "powercfg -h off" on admin cmd
It is in the power profile settings the GUI for it. Should make little difference to boot time.

The following list actually accounts for most boot time.
1. Backing storage I/O. Upgrading to SSDs or RAID HDDs can decrease boot time to a few seconds.
2. Any kind of driver, process or application that boots at start. Disable ones you do not need as each requires loading at start up which adds time.
3. The OS is in a recovery state. This can be due to an unexpected shutdown (loss of power/BSoD) or due to an update being freshly installed. This will persist only for the first boot after the cause.

Most of the boot time with computers at large institutes like schools or universities is due to the account management server and user profiles having to be transferred to the terminals.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

DSG those wasn't tips by me, did you check the video :/

About #3 I mean page file thingy.

Level 15
Also disabling hibernation, system restore and paging file only free up storage space, they do not actually affect the boot time.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Why do you want it to be faster, it's already fast.

I don't, I'm discussing about the video , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB4sjz0td4k , it has only 3,7% dislikes, people believe whatever they're told.

So defragging SSD is a known no-no, but this is how he defended it:
I recommend it as a last resort to people who want to get the black bootscreen and have tried everything, fact is it did something. Now you can argue it all you like but it changed the way my computer booted so I will mention it if others are facing the same problem.

I'm actually curious, could he be talking the truth? Could defragging SSD affect boot time in a positive way? I know people answered this already, but you can see there's fragmentation on his SSD in the video...

Level 23
it cant, SSD can read from pretty much anywhere at the same time, HDD cant, so there is no reason to even defragment SSD. There is 0% advantage to have files placed next to each other as opposed to having them randomly placed(as with nondefragged disk)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'm actually curious, could he be talking the truth? Could defragging SSD affect boot time in a positive way? I know people answered this already, but you can see there's fragmentation on his SSD in the video...
Yes only if it is a hybrid drive (HDD with SSD as intermediate buffer). No otherwise.

It may also force blocks to be refreshed, since SSDs also do suffer read degradation over time (but its like a million reads per write). This will mean that any chance of an error will be reduced. Difference? Probably 0.1% or something stupidly low so pointless.

Pure SSDs cannot be defragmented as their in-built controller abstracts physical positioning of data blocks so a defragmenter cannot actually locate blocks physically close to each other.
There is 0% advantage to have files placed next to each other as opposed to having them randomly placed(as with nondefragged disk)
You cannot place them physically next to each other as the SSD already abstracts physical locations of blocks as part of its ware management function.

Status
Not open for further replies.