• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How about unlockeable class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Zwieb how about to give more replayability to the game you make a class that's only unlockeable after you hit level 50 and you beat d4? (like an urn or something that when you click it you get to repick and pick a special class).

it would be awesome if some kind of Orc or Troll class would be usable by being unlocked.

--
Just saying (i got this idea from the Death Knights of WoW which are unlocked after you get a character to level 80).

Obviously this char would start in level 1 just like other classes.

But maybe he would just have 1 second stage?
or even 2? but idk this could be added after 1.2a, zwieb gets to decide, i just give my idea.

Level 18
First, Death Knights were unlocked when you had a level 50.

Second, I do not agree with idea as that would just ruin the game for some people. It is also bad since it will just promote even more hacking.

Game shouldn't be made/balanced around hacking, and how would it ruin the game for some people? it just gives replayability it's not like it's going to force you to use he new class...

Level 8
Wait now you say replay value? There is already 5 classes for replay value with 2 sub trees per class that is a lot of replay value right there so making a class for that reason is not the best of ideas. Not forcing you to use it that is true but in all honesty who will NOT make a character that is only available after level 50 it is like "Oh My God a NEW CLASS!!! ONLY AVAILABLE AFTER 50!!! IT MUST BE GOOD!

Level 18
Wait now you say replay value? There is already 5 classes for replay value with 2 sub trees per class that is a lot of replay value right there so making a class for that reason is not the best of ideas. Not forcing you to use it that is true but in all honesty who will NOT make a character that is only available after level 50 it is like "Oh My God a NEW CLASS!!! ONLY AVAILABLE AFTER 50!!! IT MUST BE GOOD!

See? people will enjoy it, that's the point, people enjoying it, after all it will be the most used class at the start and then it will become like DK's in wow which are now a class as used as the rest.

Also it doesn't need to be "Imba" just a normal class that you can pick after you hit 50 and you beat d4, for example this would allow adding classes based in Orcs or Trolls as you could say you're now a guy of the south who returned after leaving the plague (you know at the start there's only human/elf classes near riversdale).

Level 8
You so interpreted that wrong.

Also whats the point of of making a class only become available after you beat D4 if it is the exact same. You keep making references to DK's in wow but when they first came out they were called a "HERO" class for a reason.

Trolls and Orcs would make it very hard on z as a lot of the current models are based around the human and elf look and size. Orcs and troll that are taller troll wise and bulkier orc wise would not fit in that good with the current models.

Also going on about adding this is kind of stupid in the fact there was a thread about adding a new class some time ago and people put a lot of effort into that thread and well... I don't see a new class.

Level 3
Several reasons why I do not like this idea..

1. I agree with water_knight. More encouraging for hackers. Some people will feel left out and increase chance of hack to get these classes.

2. Many people will feel left out of the newer classes. New players already feel left out not being able to do d3 when they join sometimes. Now add in an unobtainable class that is only unlocked after many hours of gameplay. This sounds OK to me, but that is because I have played this game a lot. Others who have not played the game this might be a turn off and actually get less new players than usual.

3. Balance. Either people will find out about these and not care too much, or the people will think that it must be a much better class if it is exclusive and difficult to get. The first situation will cause people to not really care too much. The second option has multiple outcomes.

3a. The class is either weaker or the same than the other class they had. This will be a huge downer.

3b. The class is more powerful, thus making other classes much less used, and they will be quite possibly completely ignored as soon as these classes are obtained. Some people will stop getting armor for those classes. This will make a lot of time put into making those classes a bit more of a waste.

4. Space. The map is already getting close to the limit and we don't need any more classes to fill it up even more.

Level 6
4. Space. The map is already getting close to the limit and we don't need any more classes to fill it up even more.

and the discussion ends right here. thats the most important point. You probably cant add any hero into the map right now because we dont have enough space left.

and the discussion ends right here. thats the most important point. You probably cant add any hero into the map right now because we dont have enough space left.
We're not even close to the limit. The optimized map is currently at 6,8mb and there's still two custom music files inside which can be deleted.

The strict map space policy of Gaias (we import only models and textures with a high use/cost ratio and optimize everything as much as we can) is still showing its benefits up until today.

The implementation of new classes have been discussed before. I'd love to implement a new sixth base class with two new advanced trees (a dwarven mail based melee class branching out into alchemist and engineer), but it would require drastic changes in both the existing content and the core game systems.
I was pretty naive when I hardcoded a lot of the systems to the existing heroes, not allowing for future soft-expandability. This is being the biggest issue now preventing a new class from being implemented.
At some point I might be interested rewriting those core systems to allow a sixth class, but for the time being there are more important things to do.

I just implemented the talent system and like the idea to be able to customize your hero more via talents, different gears and the selected abilities. The differences between the classes get greater and greater with every update (Remember the days when advanced classes only had one specific ability to select and never made much use out of secondary attributes?) and I'm definitely keeping the focus on this aspect for the next updates.
A sixth class might come eventually. But not in 1.2 or 1.3

Level 18
We're not even close to the limit. The optimized map is currently at 6,8mb and there's still two custom music files inside which can be deleted.

The strict map space policy of Gaias (we import only models and textures with a high use/cost ratio and optimize everything as much as we can) is still showing its benefits up until today.

The implementation of new classes have been discussed before. I'd love to implement a new sixth base class with two new advanced trees (a dwarven mail based melee class branching out into alchemist and engineer), but it would require drastic changes in both the existing content and the core game systems.
I was pretty naive when I hardcoded a lot of the systems to the existing heroes, not allowing for future soft-expandability. This is being the biggest issue now preventing a new class from being implemented.
At some point I might be interested rewriting those core systems to allow a sixth class, but for the time being there are more important things to do.

I just implemented the talent system and like the idea to be able to customize your hero more via talents, different gears and the selected abilities. The differences between the classes get greater and greater with every update (Remember the days when advanced classes only had one specific ability to select and never made much use out of secondary attributes?) and I'm definitely keeping the focus on this aspect for the next updates.
A sixth class might come eventually. But not in 1.2 or 1.3

Okay zwieb just said he wants alchemist and engineers no more discussion about what other classes could be picked, now we just gotta wait for (1.3?), tho 1.2a is the biggest priority right now, and i did this suggestion because i looked at the map size, i think a lot of people hasn't noticed that the map decreased size drastically when removing custom music

Status
Not open for further replies.