• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hosted Project - Requiem of the Gods 1.33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
rotgforum.gif

Today, Steelb_l_ade has released the latest version of his Hero Arena Requiem Of The Gods with all the latest balances changes, new features, a new hero and much more!
Also, to top this, ROTG's official website has been completly redesigned with a brand new look, fully updated features, guides, heroes and of course much more functionality so remember to check it as well as the map.

Download Requiem of the Gods 1.33
Visit the official ROTG website at http://www.rotg.co.uk!
Visit ROTG's map editing forum!

For questions or feedback regarding the map Requiem of the Gods, the project forum at The Hive Workshop is the place to come!

Level 12
Woa, the website is very impressive, especially the Hero section.
I only ever tried this map once along time ago.

If I remember correctly the map is pretty big, so it would be difficult to host it.
Do you guys have a clan channel + what times are you guys usually on? Would like to try the latest ver out.

Level 9
Yes, the biggest problem is the map is something new, not based off anything else or floating a recognised name like "zelda" or "dragonball Z" and that means getting the wrod out is a slow, labourius process. This map/project needs all the advertising it can get as its a very ambitious project and could well change the face of hero arenas perminantly from badly written, flawed, inbalanced junk to actually being a decent map type. If its advertised enough that is.
My hope is when the people see the quality of the new site they will be prepared to put thier preconceptions about hero arenas aside and give it a try as most public feedback from live games has been very positive with people citing as "better than dota" and "the best arena ever".
We can only hope and continue to promote the map eh?
Needs all the help it can get and any advertising given is much appreciated.

As a footnote i'd like to thank the HIVE admin for allowing a link to another site thats not theres to go live on thier news page. I understand what it's like trying to get traffic and I appreciate them allowing the www.rotg.co.uk link to go live here.
But, the hive is all about map developing and map creating and if this website wont allow people to really go for it and to give new mappers the help they need getting noticed then theres no point in it anymore. Thanks guys.

Level 9
We used to hang in Clan Volt on northrend but recently Ive moved hosting ROTG over into US-East as it meets with more success over there, however you could still try Clan Volt. To be honest the idea of gettign a community going for it is quite new and quite uncoordinated at the moment, thats what the new website is hoping to solve by bringing the players of it together in one place so they can organise better.

Level 12
None of the heroes in this game have cool abilities. None of the heroes take skill. None of the heroes are very original at all. Almost all of them have extremely lame titles. The only good thing about this game is the website which is really awesome. My worst hero in my map is 3x as good as the best hero this map has to offer. If your going to make a map about heroes, make sure the heroes are cool and they take skill to play. I'm sure a bunch of people will hate on me for saying this, but I seriously think you need to remake every single hero. I'd rather have 16 cool heroes than 32 pieces of crap. Your heroes have very little if any synergy. If they do have synergy, it's usually something like Charge up your spell so it deals 3x more damage, channel for 3 seconds. Somebody with some creativity and skill in triggers needs to go through and remake every single one of your heroes.

Level 9
Okay in response to your comments these are my thoughts:

Dreadnought[dA];590799 said:
None of the heroes in this game have cool abilities.

I don't agree you here, just because a spell isn't really complex doesn't mean it can't be cool. People have cited "Freeze" which is a spell that slowly freezes targets into solid blue statues that can be shattered by melee strikes as being very cool indeed. (Pardon the pun)

None of the heroes take skill.

Have you played it online against real players? Some of the heroes are very easy to use and take little skill (Chaos Knight, Elven Ranger) but not all of them and some are very difficult to use well.

The only good thing about this game is the website which is really awesome.

Thanks.

My worst hero in my map is 3x as good as the best hero this map has to offer.

Despite searhing around the Hive I can't actually find any of your work to have a look at so its kind of tricky to say. But the fact u state, "worst hero" in my map implies youve put more effort into some heroes than others, as at least these lot are consistant.

Almost all of them have extremely lame titles.

There is a reason for this. This map is not an RPG, nor is it an exercise in lore writing. The heroes have been given very simple titles that show little imagination because then they can be easily identified by battle.net players.
For example: Take the "Dud'jin'Kai" hero. That's a custom made up title with no relation to anything, when people talk about that hero they always and i mean always called it "that tiger".
Therefore when you ask people, "what's your favourite hero?" or "what hero did you play?" they can simply answer, Barbarian, Chaos warrior etc, because that names are simple and memorable rather than "that dark evil dude of supreme ultimate death from the 4th pit of Tarturus".

Okay quoting aside some of the hero spells may be a little bland compared to what your used to seeing but bear in mind this is an arena map designed for ladder players, therefore they need spells and powers they can at least relate to a bit. ROTG is not a hero spell contest map, nor is it some kind of showcase for showing off JASS. It's not made to be played by designers but by real ladder players.

To say it has no real strategy, well It's reasonably easy to write at least 2-3 pages on each hero going over strategy so enough said really and im not going to go into it here, but basically, it does.

You make tutorials and articles on how people should make thier maps imaginative which is nice but try making one on how to get people to actually play it as I noticed you had problems getting people to even try the contest map you submitted citing its impossible to get people to even look at a map unless it had ethier "drugs" or "zelda/dbz" etc in the title. Well, Requiem of the Gods has nethier in its title and people do play it.

Level 12
*sigh* I don't want to be giving it out to alot of people but I suppose if you'll support my view after seeing them then I'll let you see it. Look for PM

Changed my mind since he pretty much posted 1/2 the stuff here. Btw Warhead is about 3x as good as Death Wave.
It fires a spear that moves in a straight line. Dealing 100 damage to the 1st enemy unit it hits and stunning them for up to 4 seconds based on how long it travelled. (Stuns longer the farther it travels)

Last edited:
Level 9
Okay ive seen the work you gave me in the link now and I still don't agree with you, A Abomination named "Pudge" with "Meat Hook", "Rot", "Diseased Hook" and "Dismember" sounds very familier, as does the "Goblin Techies" hero.

"Diseased Hook" is basically "Venom" that the venom spider has, "Dismember" is simply the Barbarian's "Decapitate" but looks a lot lamer and "Charge" is based off exactly the same spell as the Dudjin'Kais "Pounce" and the Swordmasters's "Combat Mastery" which was downloaded off war.3 search.

"Chomp" is the same basic spell as the Goblin Mech's "Chainsaw" and "Endurance Aura" isnt even modified.

"Warhead" is simlier to the Dark Rider's "Deathwave", "Ambush" is just "Blink Strike" and "Faithful eye" is pretty much the Priestess's "Scout" power.

"Distract" is a poor man's "Hand Grenade/Taunt" as the throwing animations simply arnt there and im not even going to comment on the animations for "Statis Field"

As for lacking imagination in my heroes "Ghazghul" is simply the orc chief from warhammer 40k and with titles like "Techies" and "Kodo Rider" I think frankly you have a nerve.
As for the Evoker, I'd say hes your best hero by FAR and has some cool ideas for magic even if they do kill the framerate.
But the rest of them are nowhere near up to this standard and look like they've been directly ported from Dota.
To cite my spells as being bland and un-inspired when you yourself have paler versions of them in your map is quite amusing.

Anyway, this thread isnt supposed to devolve into a "whoes better than what" thread.

I don't agree with your worst hero being better than my best, im not going to post that map up here as per your request and I think we should get back on topic.

You have made a nice start with your "Evoker" and I would suggest you bring the others at least in-line with him.

Last edited:
Level 12
You have just posted on my map which I asked you not to do. As for picking apart each hero. Lemme go through the first 8 of yours. BTW My Goblin Techies are completely unique to the DotA ones and I agree the Stasis Field animation is lame so I fixed it. Anyways on with your map and what I think you need to fix. (Feel free to move this post if you don't like it here)

Dark Rider:
Death Wave is frost wave. same old same old
Comsume magic is wisps detonate. boring
Unholy sustenance is immolation (Or is it channeling?). Meh this is ok
Curse of Doom is good.
How do any of these spells synergize and how is this hero any fun?

Demon:
Infernal shield is anti-magic shield. same old same old
Rending claws is Cripple. same old same old
Demonic Zeal is Drunken Brawl. same old same old
Apis Mellifera another ok ultimate.
How do any of these spells synergize and how is this hero fun?

Court mage:
Polymorph... need I say more.
Teleportation... staff of teleportation rings a bell.
Illusion Mastery is wand of illusion.
Meteor is yet another ok ultimate.
I suppose polymorph and Meteor synergize. This hero is fairly fun due to being very mobile and Meteor is pretty good.

Chaos Knight: (Sounds familiar too :O :O :O)
Warpflame (Seems you play Warhammer 40k as well?) ZzZz BoF. same old same old
Hammer Blow could be short range Storm Bolt with no missle. same old same old
Daemonic Armor is Spikey Carapace of boringness... same old same old
Consecrating Warpflame is permanent immolation. BORING AS HELL same old same old
Again how is this hero synergized and how is it fun to play?

Diabloist: (lame title anyone? 1st time read thought it sounded like diabloyst)
Nether Blast is most likely acid bomb. same old same old
Siphon Mana.... same old same old
Diabolic Displacement = wow stolen straight from DotA although this is a really cool spell so why not.
Dimensional Rift is a horrible version of pocket factory.

Berserker: (You definately play warhammer 40k)
Relentless Assault is ... I forgot the name but it's firelords passive thingy with mana cost.
Shield Breaker is actually I'm not sure what ability this is. Could be trigger damage + faerie fire.
Whirldwind is probably the most known spell other than windwalk.
Berserker Rage is boring to use but kinda interesting ultimate.

Elementalist:
Ice Blast is... dun dun da! Ice Bolt same old same old
Fireball is... dun dun da! Acid Bomb same old same old
Symphony of Frost and Flame = cool looking spell that's fun but the names rediculously long.
Freeze is yet another ok ultimate (You make some good ults I'll admit it even though I absolutely hate things that instant kill)
This hero actually has some synergy even if it is really simple synergy. Stun + slows + hold still and take damage.

Sword Master: (I know how hard it is to come up with an original sword name so I will forgive you)
Combat Mastery is like you said, a leaping effect. It's good I like it.
Spectral Blade = barf on a stick. Boring to use and boring effect.
Blade Fury.. This spell has potential but at lower levels it's utter junk.
Counter Attack is another good ultimate. It's interesting and fits the theme nicely.

Well lets see... your heroes have no synergy, almost no cool abilities, very little if any originality, and use pretty much all ladder skills with a few modifacations. That last statement of yours is just an excuse to avoid a counter attack which you rightly deserve after posting stuff on my map which I asked you not to do.

I do have some ladder skills and I'm working on getting them replaced (Already replaced Diseased hook), but my heroes have synergy and yours don't. Due to them having synergy they are pretty fun to play while yours are boring. That's the main thing you need to focus on is synergy because right now every effect is standalone and doesn't make the hero feel like a character but more like somebody with a bunch of random spells thrown on him.

Level 12
I felt this should be 2 different posts. Here's how I would remake your Diabloist. 1st he's evil and likes inflicting pain. 2nd he has some affiliation with the devil according to his name and the Devil deals with souls.

Curse of Agony (name stolen straight from WoW because it's good)
The unit takes 5/10/15/20% bonus damage from everything (including spells). Whenever the unit suffers damage, it is stunned for 1% of the damage in seconds. Can only be triggered once per second.

Hatred
Channels for up to 3 seconds. When cast, deals 25/50/75/100 damage per second channeled to target unit.

Diabolic Displacement - Same effect as you have.

Soul Betrayal
Summons a copy of target enemy hero that deals 50/75/100% of the heroes damage and takes 200/175/150% damage. Lasts forever until killed, has 400 MS, and is totally black. You cannot control the image and it only attacks the hero you targetted.

Hope you like it =D and please note all numbers can be changed as honestly I don't know how to balance your map as good as you.

Level 9
I think we shoudl ask the moderators to move these last few posts to the feedback section under ROTG's hosted projects forum so we can continue this discussion in a more apprropriate thread rather than the news one, then i'll continue the feedback discussion, btu it does seem clear youve got this information from the website, not from playign the map as the spells youve menetioned dont perform like how youve stated, the website only gives a very general idea to what the spells doe, "Consume Magic" for example mana burns everyone in the AOE in addition to dispelling summons, "Ice Blast" knocks the target backwards as well as acting like Ice Bolt (Much like "Combat Mastery" but instead you can chuck enemies about, so u say, remove Spellshatter/Spell protection with the weak "Fireball", Generate AOE with "Symphony" then knock them into it using "Ice Blast". Thats the synergy. "Death Wave" is also considerably different then "Frost Wave" and "Unholy Sustinance" is channeling magic that allows you to swap mana for health over time. The Chaos Knights powers are very very simple because hes a "beginner" class hero, but look really cool (He has custom purple flame effects) and he remains ironically one of the most popular heroes as hes very easy to use and is powerful.

As for the Synergy/Strategy with the Demon i'll give you EDIT: (The link to the strategy for him -Was too long to post here)

http://www.rotg.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22

http://www.rotg.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20

Last edited:
Level 12
I only played 1 time and I thought the hero I chose was boring. So I went to your website and looked at every single hero. I couldn't find a single hero that sounded cool or had any synergy so I decided to post some feedback on how you should change this. Knocking units into the AoE... I wonder how often a situation like that comes around. It sounds good in theory but in practice I'm sure it doesn't work that way. How is Death Wave different from Breat of Frost? According to the tooltips it's exactly like breath of frost (or fire). You make Drunken Brawl sound way better than it actually is. "make it difficult for an enemy to judge whether or not they are winning a fight vs a Demon fight" lol that's not what it does, it makes the hero more random, and makes it more luck based than skill based. Btw did you look at my suggestion? or are you unwilling to change a hero?

Level 9
The Feedback is fine, and yes some of the heroes dont exactly inspire a sense of awesomeness in their hero powers but they arnt all like that. The website dosn't do justice to most of the magic and it does sound very dull when read up on there.
Now realising that youve read the powers off the website instead of seeing them in-game makes your point much clearer as the descriptions on there are very basic and not as accurate as they could be..
"Deathwave" is hard to explain but its not like BoF it's erm, u target it at the ground and it fires the Death Coil skull with a trail that moves in a line slowly from X --->Y anything it passes over takes X damage per 0.1 second its triggered magic so isnt based of Shockwave or BoF (I think)
If you would like to see some of the more intresting spells without loading up the map again a few are featured in its video trailer (Including Freeze, Ice Blast and Mana Cataclysm) that you can see on the link below:

http://www.rotg.co.uk/index.php?pageid=media

I don't disregard bad feedback outright and im not immune to making changes but the heroes do need to be kept consistant .(also im loathe to use other peoples ideas)
The curse one sounds good, but sadly i didn't think of it so i don't know.
As for beign un-willing toc hange the heroes, well i'm not. The changelog for this now is massive and you can see that here:

http://www.rotg.co.uk/index.php?pageid=changelog

I hope this helps make things clearer.
P.s the posted article was direct from the strategy guide and it was written by someone else on how to get the most from that hero, in hindsight I shoudl have linked it as its long. EDIT: Done now =)

Level 12
I guess I had a bad first impression.

I'll explain the concept a little more.

The Curse of Agony is the primary spell, you could go without it and go for more nuking power instead but then you miss out on a good stun.

Hatred kind of synergizes with Curse of Agony in a roundabout way. At level 4 combined with Curse of Agony, the stun time would actually be a little longer due to 5/10/15/20% increase in damage. So basically it negates itself. If you cast your ultimate on the unit, then channel hatred, you'll stun the person for 3 seconds allowing your image to pummel the hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.