• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hmm... What About A Mac Sub-Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Should we add a Mac sub-forum here too...? Because some of my friends have Macs and they'd prefer to have a different category when they need to ask anything, so that Mac users can finally get easy help with their problems... I hope you guys would take this in mind because many of my friends questioned me about Mac stuff a lot...

Level 19
Well... Since it's a modding forum right? Once people make maps, they have to also be able to host their maps in Warcraft, if Mac owners don't know how to host, then how do you advertise a certain map for beta testing?

Level 5
I feel like a "Computer Tech" forum that applies to all operating systems is a much more meaningful idea. (And we even already have it) Discussions related to how to host can and should go in the "Warcraft Discussion" forum in the Gamer's Hub.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You know, either merge everything into this one board, or split it in UNIX and WINDOWS, and you've got it all covered. Mac is basically a graphically upgraded Linux.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The point is that Mac uses the UNIX base structure, it is a UNIX based Operating System.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I didn't mean to say that Mac was basically the same as Linux, I meant that both Linux and Mac roots back to UNIX, and therefore you could just rename the already existing Linux board to UNIX and thereby including Mac, or just remove it and discuss all OS in one board - perhaps with tags if there's a OS-specific problem.

Level 19
Hmm... If the Mac idea can't work, could we at least dedicate a single thread that's meant for only Mac related questions...? So that it would be easier to ask Mac users about their problems... But still, a Mac sub-forum wouldn't be doing any damage to the forum whatsoever... Some might disagree, but we could give it a shot... Maybe gather some Mac users like the Linux one and there you have it, a sub-forum dedicated to the handful of users who desperately need help with Mac but can't get any answers...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Hmm... If the Mac idea can't work, could we at least dedicate a single thread that's meant for only Mac related questions...? So that it would be easier to ask Mac users about their problems... But still, a Mac sub-forum wouldn't be doing any damage to the forum whatsoever... Some might disagree, but we could give it a shot... Maybe gather some Mac users like the Linux one and there you have it, a sub-forum dedicated to the handful of users who desperately need help with Mac but can't get any answers...

You know, if you just made a thread in this section with your specific problem, I am sure someone would try to help you out. It's not necessary to have your own board to ask questions in.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Hah, right .. I forgot Mac users place their tool so sky-high. Would think they'd gotten over the defeat by now..

Level 40
Macs are not mean't for gaming.

This is a forum mean't for gaming and programming for that game.

I rest my point.

Edit: DON'T BRING UP THE 90's! Those were PowerPC based, the new ones are Intel
*hugs his G4*
Actually, you can play Warcraft natively on the Mac (I do), and that this is the Off Topic section.

Just put it in the thread title so that people know what they're getting into. Also, the Linux subforum should be removed, but no one cares enough to get rid of it.

Do not tell Poot I said that, he would get angreh
Why would I even bother debating with you guys about the topic? I'm relatively comfortable thinking that I know a tad more about my needs in a computer and the technical quality of the different operating systems than you do. In addition, I agree that many apple products are overpriced (for example, the monitors, oh god the monitors) and I would not buy them, but others (like the keyboards, which are amazing, as well as the laptops) are reasonable, especially for their quality. I'm used to accepting that getting an item which is n times better does not only cost n times as much in our day and age, but PC laptop vendors selling things with roughly similar guts go for a relatively similar price.

Although a good deal of it is certainly confirmation bias, you can't really understand what's so nice about a Macbook/pro until you have one. I had used Windows all my life until this laptop, and I never looked back since I got it. In my experience most of those who hate Macs have either never actually used them or have used them for five minutes and disliked them for being "different" (well, duh!).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Actually, you can play Warcraft natively on the Mac (I do), and that this is the Off Topic section.

Just put it in the thread title so that people know what they're getting into. Also, the Linux subforum should be removed, but no one cares enough to get rid of it.

Why would I even bother debating with you guys about the topic? I'm relatively comfortable thinking that I know a tad more about my needs in a computer and the technical quality of the different operating systems than you do. In addition, I agree that many apple products are overpriced (for example, the monitors, oh god the monitors) and I would not buy them, but others (like the keyboards, which are amazing, as well as the laptops) are reasonable, especially for their quality. I'm used to accepting that getting an item which is n times better does not only cost n times as much in our day and age, but PC laptop vendors selling things with roughly similar guts go for a relatively similar price.

Although a good deal of it is certainly confirmation bias, you can't really understand what's so nice about a Macbook/pro until you have one. I had used Windows all my life until this laptop, and I never looked back since I got it. In my experience most of those who hate Macs have either never actually used them or have used them for five minutes and disliked them for being "different" (well, duh!).

Well, don't get my wrong, I don't dislike Mac. I dislike Apple. The fact that a Macbook with the same specs as a Windows or Linux notebook costs the double, because it's white and has an apple on the back, it's outrageous. As a graphical designer, I would love to have a Mac for artistic purposes, but you know.. it's much cheaper to get a PC, and it works out just as good really, and you can do several other things with it. The thing with Apple is design. I absolutely hate everything they design. I've never seen something quite as fucking ugly as the iPod. Oh, and they couldn't be like everyone else, so they had to make their own little program to import files with.. iTunes.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away, and completely off topic too.

I still think it would be better to just add a tag in the topic title and post it in this section, Miss Foxy. Why don't you give it a shot? It's the second time you ask for your own board, it's as if you've made a bet with someone that you will make sure THW adds a Mac board.

Level 15
Purple, you know as well as I do that the Mac version of Wc3 is buggy as hell.

Hell, guy I know with a Mac now can only play maps made by Blizzard, now he is letting me install Windows 2000 on it.

And once again, we get to Quality... I have seen dozens of Macs break down, while one of my old Dell Pentium Pro builds (cost 5k when bought) has been running 24/7 for the past 10 years with no breaking, and it is not like I treat it nice either, spilled Coke on it last week.

And this isn't like oh.. one guys Mac broke down... This is like, Hmmmm, where did all of the Mac's go? Same with iPods, they break all the time, although mostly user caused, I have seen about 8 die without physical damage.

One of the reasons you do not hear about this stuff is that Apple tends to censor complaints on their website forums.

I still think Apple is eviler than Microsoft

Level 40
design rant
Hey, I dislike Apple as a company, but I love many of their products. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, I love their design (and most people seem to). If you don't, then fine, whatever.

Purple, you know as well as I do that the Mac version of Wc3 is buggy as hell.

Hell, guy I know with a Mac now can only play maps made by Blizzard, now he is letting me install Windows 2000 on it.
Works fine for most maps. If the coder is incompetent and uses functions which they shouldn't be, that's their fault (there are like two which bug maps, and they aren't particularly stable anyways).

And once again, we get to Quality... I have seen dozens of Macs break down, while one of my old Dell Pentium Pro builds (cost 5k when bought) has been running 24/7 for the past 10 years with no breaking, and it is not like I treat it nice either, spilled Coke on it last week.

And this isn't like oh.. one guys Mac broke down... This is like, Hmmmm, where did all of the Mac's go? Same with iPods, they break all the time, although mostly user caused, I have seen about 8 die without physical damage.
No, they don't. Everyone's products break down, sure, but for the longest time Queen's had (among other old computers) a NeXT which still worked fine, and if that isn't old I don't know what is.

One of the reasons you do not hear about this stuff is that Apple tends to censor complaints on their website forums.
They can't censor complaints elsewhere on the internet or in real life, and I still hear much more good than bad about their laptops etc.

I still think Apple is eviler than Microsoft
I don't bother comparing the evilness of two evil companies. I just like that one makes nice laptops etc.

--

Also, I figure I should mention here that Starcraft performs better on OS X for me—that is, on Windows my monitor refuses to resize the game and thus I get a tiny 640x480 box in the middle. Works fine on OS X.

Last edited:
Level 15
This is why you have compatibility mode.

Also, DOSbox works for Starcraft

Then where did all the macs go?

I know about 18 people who have had them break, out of 26 I know who have them.

And I do not like the Mac's look, the hospital white plastic... and the aluminum ones don't look good either.

And I do have a Mac if you remember, a G4, the sliver and blue kind. The G4's are good, and I keep it around for Marathon.

Level 3
Hey can we open a windows 2 board too? Because some people use windows 2 and they may have problems with hosting/map making too...

Point is, if you have a problem with something you can just post it in the generic forum and mention it is a Mac os you're having the problem on. There are plenty of apple users here who can answer your questions (and even those of us who dont use it can solve it sometimes too) so theres really no point to add a new forum except to further segregate the already (highly specialized) forums.

Level 22
Lol, I want to join the Mac discussion :D

I don't hate the Mac or Apple, but I dislike the mouse and the keyboard and the fact that there are some games and other programs that don't work on Macs.
If you could run the same games and the same programs on Macs as on Windows and if you use normal mouse and keyboard and if they change how the Mac looks then I wouldn't have any problem using one.
I've heard that Macs works better for some things, but not for those things I do :D

Level 14
All mac products break easily. Like my Ipod touch that didn't have any physical damage at all or my moms macbook died when upgrading to snow leopard

Level 19
I just hope you guys would consider putting in a Mac sub-forum, well since Computer Tech only has a "General Tech" and a ''Linux' zone, it gets really hard to find what you want, like make the general talking in Computer Tech about the usual kind of computers we have while create other sections for Linux and Mac for the specific users so that they wouldn't need to look all over here just to find a puny post about how to get warcraft hostable on Mac...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Just use tags.. "[MAC] your problem" .. why would it be any easier for a PC user to find what he's looking for in this board than for a Mac user, are they less intelligent? I don't think so.

Level 40
I just hope you guys would consider putting in a Mac sub-forum, well since Computer Tech only has a "General Tech" and a ''Linux' zone, it gets really hard to find what you want, like make the general talking in Computer Tech about the usual kind of computers we have while create other sections for Linux and Mac for the specific users so that they wouldn't need to look all over here just to find a puny post about how to get warcraft hostable on Mac...
The Linux one is basically a joke by now and would be removed if it was active enough for anyone to care.

Level 15

Tada... http://portforward.com/ I'm fricken amazing

Put in your router, then game, and follow the steps.

Unfortunately my router is defective, and so only forwards UDP

Status
Not open for further replies.