• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Map Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey, I just thought about porting the idea of game jam to our community with Warcraft maps.

What is it (for those who don't know):
- Creators are given some amount of time (usually 24 or 48 hours) to make a game (or a map in our case) from scratch
- Every map has to (atleast loosely) fit into an overall theme of the jam. The themes usually are pretty abstract which boosts creativity
- Depending on what type of jam is it it can be duos, teams or solo.

So... the idea is to host something like that, on hive, where we could get some nice, fresh and fun mini-maps created in friendly atmosphere, but also under pressure of time.
It's a great way to boost your creativity and your game/map making skills.

I think it is nice as a way of self improvement and fun, so no prizes are required, but if I could suggest a fun prize it could be getting a hosted project based on your idea that won the Jam (or something like that) maybe.

The map jam could fit very well to a day of community playing through the maps together to evaluate them and so on.

I would love to participate in something like that, what do you guys think?

Level 29
Isn't it called Minimap Contest? We have it on the Hive.

no, a mini-map requires like 30-40 days because of the triggering, enviroment, beta-test and balancing.

The only thing that can be mapped (or that I can map with quality) in 48 hours is a 1v1 or a x4 simetry 4 player melee map, and even so, I can predict that the maps will be substandard if people has to do other stuff in real life.

Hey, I just thought about porting the idea of game jam to our community with Warcraft maps.

What is it (for those who don't know):
- Creators are given some amount of time (usually 24 or 48 hours) to make a game (or a map in our case) from scratch
- Every map has to (atleast loosely) fit into an overall theme of the jam. The themes usually are pretty abstract which boosts creativity
- Depending on what type of jam is it it can be duos, teams or solo.

So... the idea is to host something like that, on hive, where we could get some nice, fresh and fun mini-maps created in friendly atmosphere, but also under pressure of time.
It's a great way to boost your creativity and your game/map making skills.

I think it is nice as a way of self improvement and fun, so no prizes are required, but if I could suggest a fun prize it could be getting a hosted project based on your idea that won the Jam (or something like that) maybe.

The map jam could fit very well to a day of community playing through the maps together to evaluate them and so on.

I would love to participate in something like that, what do you guys think?

it seems stressfull and I dont think quality maps will be produced. I think other types of contest could be more interesting.

Level 5
Hey,
I'm not mad that you guys don't like the idea, and I get it that not everyone may like it.
But there are some things that are strange to me. Didn't any of you see a game jam happen? People build there from scratch in 24/48 hours, we have a working game that only needs to be modified.
Also I'm not sure how is it that only 1v1 maps or melee maps would be the only ones created. I think that would need a lot of testing to be good, which there is no time for, I would guess that TDs, Hero Sieges and AoS-clones would be much more popular if it happened.
Also the point of these kind of competitions is to break the convention, to do something that probably wouldn't work outside of the competition.

While I understand that this will not happen, I strongly suggest that you check out games that are made on game jams
for starters check out this video:
I don't think it will change your mind and you'll think that my idea (which isn't 100% mine, considering that it is just WC3 version of something that already exists) is good, but maybe open few new perspectives.

Thanks for replies and cheers,

Level 22
The people who do these jams actually work 48 hours non-stop on their game, I just don't think mapmakers of the Hive are this kind of people.
On the contrary, we often have to extend contests on several months even for making a single model... (which is perfectly fine to me)

Level 5
The people who do these jams actually work 48 hours non-stop on their game, I just don't think mapmakers of the Hive are this kind of people.
On the contrary, we often have to extend contests on several months even for making a single model... (which is perfectly fine to me)

While I understand and know that the idea won't pass, I just wanted to defend the idea against arguments like "nothing good can come out of it"
Your arguments are strong and logical Freddyk and I think that's the definitive answer to my idea.

While I understand and know that the idea won't pass, I just wanted to defend the idea against arguments like "nothing good can come out of it"
Your arguments are strong and logical Freddyk and I think that's the definitive answer to my idea.

Long story in few words:

The HIVE is not the right medium to implement such an idea since people here are mainly hobby focused and do not work constantly on their resources. They work with rather long pauses and ideas.

This would fit much better in a local warcraft community that can held physical contests. I can ascertain good qualities can come out of this kind of event if held physically. Just not the best pick for online communities. Closest we have is the Warcraft 3 Funmap Challenge which has 24 hours limit back then, and that even... well...

Status
Not open for further replies.