• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High quality models with high size or low quality models with low size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all , first of all I apologize if I posted in wrong place.
I am currently creating a map that is in its late phase (before beta test) and I wanted to ask your opinion :
for a single player map of type hero defence/RPG you prefer it to have high quality models (this makes map to have a size over 30 MB) or to have normal models but stay around 20-30 MB or to have low models (such as original Warcraft models) and become about 10 MB or less ? which one you think is better? (I know that these days few people will try new custom maps , I just wanted to hear opinions)
and when I say high quality I mean models like this (ripped models and etc) :
2.jpg

Level 7
The idea is to always have the best of both world. Try to shrink the size of the map to the lowest as possible without destroying the qualities of your models. It's up to you to decide in which quality standard is the fittest for your map.

Either way, anything beyond 8MB is always a problem, due to the technical issues with Battle.net supporting only 8MB map sizes. But since it's a Single Player map, it doens't matter as much.

In any WC3 map, I prefer having models that actually fit the WC3 context. That means, being relatively low-poly, having cartoonish/well-defined textures, expressive animations, moderate particle usage. Filesize isn't a synonym of quality. You can do great stuff inside the boundaries of what is warcraft-ish, and small in filesize.

Unless you plan to replace all WC3 original content by assets of a different detail level, those models too 'high-quality' tend to look out of place among other warcraft models. Not to mention most times they're heavy, so it's a big cost to little benefit.

(You also need to have permission to use the assets you're using if you're to upload your map in THW)

Level 22
I totally agree with HappyCockroach, what is the most important is consistency: all the models you use have to fit together (units, buildings, doodads, terrain, everything). That makes HQ very hard to make because you should replace almost every model and texture of Warcraft 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.