1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[hero defence] Lights Last Stand

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by xenoche, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Vaarj

Vaarj

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really fun map, played with some buddies the other night, i don't really have any complaints except that the fact that one later wave instagibbed everyone, i think they were named Aether drakes or something, and despite the fact that one of us had 11k hp and around 80% damage reduction he too got instagibbed, so i asked around if anyone had any spell-resistance, and one of us had 25% spell-resistance and pretty hefty hp too..

Maybe you could look into that if you find the wave i mean, forgot to save a replay of it though..

2. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Damn, that sounds pretty bad, wish you had that replay, alas. I will look into the Aether drakes (or were they force chimeras, they seem to receive a lot of hate from the games I've played).

Thanks for the info, i'll definatly look into it.

3. Vaarj

Vaarj

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just played it again solo, even though i didn't get to the mobs we were instagibbed by i can atleast confirm that it wasn't the force chimeras, if i remember right they looked like phoenixes..

Hope that helps..

4. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Phoenixes? Did you make it to level 9? Were they spawned by a demonic event? Did they spawn from a demonic portal? It is feasible that you faced them at level 2 (had you not destroyed any demonic altars on level 1 and also got extraordinarily unlucky). Obviously, facing level 9 demonic creeps at level 2 would insta-gib you pretty well (wish you had that replay in any case, then I could see exactly what the problem is).

Thanks for pointing out a possible imbalance.

5. Vaarj

Vaarj

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe it wasn't phoenixes then, some kind of flying atleast, i don't remember which level or wave it was but it was atleast some wave later then the Force Chimeras, and i'm pretty sure they were not from a demonic altar as we always destroyed those right away..

I'll try to get another game going as soon as possible and save the replay..

6. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That would be awesome.

Working hard on balancing at the moment, so getting that replay would be a great help, thanks.

7. Destiny Paladin

Destiny Paladin

Resources:
    Resources:
    i gotta say, very impressive from the screenshots...

nice work!!
    keep it up

8. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    UPDATE v0.21

v.21 changelog
    -Added runic item vendor that specializes in various damage items.
    -Added special abilities to the gaian heart that can be activated by using your gaian energy.
    -Re-Balance of boss abilities.
    -Psycic Bomb now deals damage equal to 75% of the targets hitpoints.
    -Various spelling errors fixed (if anyone finds anymore, dont hesitate to inform me).
    -Shop buy range increased to 2000.
    -Gaian Guardians now spawn when shrines hit 50% hitpoints and 4 are spawned when the heart hits 10% hitpoints.
    -Buffed/Nerfed a range of hero abilities especially in regard to aoe damage abilities.
    -Gold Vault can now be used from anywhere n the map.
    -A few tweaks to terrain.
    -Fixed Call of the Void and The Great Summons, now they spawn the correct units.

9. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    v.21a Released

v.21a changelog
    -Re-evaluated all creep statistics and reconstructed the difficulty settings.
    -Gaian Conduct actually works now.
    -Fixed a bug where a demonic event would fail to occur.
    -Nerfed Gold Vault interest to 4% after the addition of the 'Double Interest' ability.
    -Standardized hero hitpoints, giving more survivability to casters and priests.
    -Stone bomb no longer damages structures.
    -Gaian Support unit no longer crashes the game when buying tomes.
    -Various creep ability buffs and nerfs.

10. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    what a beautiful terrain, really outstanding, 120%

11. DanThanh

DanThanh

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the terrain is good, i personally like the Hero Defense genre, will give you some feedback later !

12. Josemite

Josemite

Resources:
    Resources:
    just played a game of the new version... still seems rather difficult, particularly the spells. Specifically chain sheeping, the damage when casting (particularly since it procs off using potions and does a ton of damage, as well as being up the entire round) and the hellfire or w/e (the ground target aoe dot, does a ton of damage). Couple other suggestions:
    - make each wave last longer, give the game more time to scale up
    - more time in between each round, give some down time to figure out what to buy, coordinate etc
    - make the items scale more, atm I find it silly to not save up for the best in each category as it doesn't make THAT much of a difference, and the gold you'd lose from selling the item back and not getting interest really adds up. So like double the price of the best of the best, increase their stats some. Or maybe scale them a tish and add 2 more in each category (as there are empty spaces that could filled atm)

Overall, we love the mod, just needs more tweaking/balancing to be truly great, as I'm sure you know. Keep up the good work! (see if you can get a new version by monday, that's our lan night :p )

{EDIT}
    Also, the Icey Bane ability of the Magnataur seems to be working wrong, sometimes it deals damage when cast, sometimes not, and doesn't deal aoe damage either way.

And the tri-star attack usually, but not always, only throws 2 stars, sometimes one, and only sometimes hits the targetted unit -.-

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  13. DanThanh

DanThanh

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i don't know why but the map is lag, also about the highest critical for rangers/casters, how could you do that, you use the "Unit takes damage" event, right ?

14. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    DanThanh
    Well, lag hasn't been a problem as far as I've noticed while testing. In the game where you experienced lag, which hero/es were picked? Did it lag all the time? or just sometimes, because if there is lag, as you describe, I would like to fix it.

Yes, I use the 'Takes damage' event, there's no other way to do it really.

Josemite
    The damage you experience when using pots is only if your in range of creeps that have the mind sap ability. Its fine, and can be countered by, not casting, increasing your hit points and/or regeneration. Yes it is annoying, yes it is damaging, but like flying waves of a TD you have to be prepared.

The chaos barrage is devastating, I am thinking of making it last a shorter period of time.

I'm not sure of making the levels longer, but I do think I need to add a wee bit more time between levels to buy/sell ect.

I am going re balance items severely next version, as of now, its abit silly. I am thinking of removing all items from the high tier items (amplio/potens/ultimus) until later. For example: Amplio will be available after completing level 2, Potens will be available after completing level 4, and Ultimus after completing level 6. Prices will increase among amplio/potens/ultimus items as well.

I'm in the process of adding a system that allows you to upgrade your items eg, from ordinary --> fortis --> ampio --> potens. I'll also be adding the ability to bind an item to your hero. A bound item cannot be dropped (can still be upgraded) and allows you to add additional effects to gear (a long drawn out process that wont be completed for at least a few versions).

Magnatuar is fixed, and so is iron breakers crash bug (me being a clown and not stopping a pretty obvious infinate loop). Tri-star throw giving you problems? I'll look into it.

Thanks guys for the feedback, back to work for me.

15. DanThanh

DanThanh

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    -I see you use a lot of advanced system, well, the map is leak after a bout 10 mins playing. I suspect the event "unit take damage" causes this as i have used this function for my spells/critical hits before.
    -Also, i think you should remove the green fog, maybe give us a in-game command.
    -Well, i love the items, too. what would you say if i want to help you with some more classes/spells ?
    -The default camera is adjusted for a better look but people can reset if they scroll they mouse, so just keep it as normal and edit the terrain as you see fit.

16. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    v.21b changelog
    -Fixed critical bug when using Iron Breakers Ultimate
    -Magnataur's Icey Bane skill now works.
    -Decreased Chaos barrage duration.
    -Increased time between waves.
    -Tweaked many item costs.

I'm a very tidy mapper, so I ensure I clean every leak as I code. You, being the first to comment on lag is rather strange. :bored:

EDIT: I, as well as any players out there, are probably fed up with all these damn bugs, SO, before releasing 0.21c I'm going to test this tonight, all night, to ensure minimal issues. Anyone that's on US east at the time feel free to come and join in the festivities as I iron out the bugs of LLS.

{EDIT 1}
    Well, after last nights lengthily testing schedule, I managed to re-tweak the entire creep line up from level 1-9 (including the insane drakes).

Tonight I'm going to host another round of testing 0.21c to finalize creep balance (and hopefully ,for the first time, finish the game). Obviously after finalizing creep balance I can more accurately balance hero skills (not that I haven't tried).

If all goes well tonight (after last nights success, I don't see why not), i'll release 0.21c tomorrow. If you happen to be on US east come and test it out (note for those in different time zones, testing will begin in about 6 hours).

EDIT: Last night was a so quiet the idea of doing testing as laughable. I managed to get ONE 2v game going, which was fine and did help somewhat, but not enough to do any adequate testing. If all else fails tonight, I just test it myself.

{EDIT 2}
    I did some testing of the randomicalisticality of the random feature. Here are my results of the two samples I conducted in the order they were picked:

Sample 1:
    Dreanei Stalker - Magnataur Reaver - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - Dreanei Stalker - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - Panda Brawler - Arcanic Sorceress - Dwarven Hunter - Troll Visionary - Lady of the Lake - Dwarven Hunter - Volcarian Warchief - Storm Seer - Magnataur Reaver - Battle Maiden - Lady of the Lake

Sample 2:
    Winter Maiden - Holy Warrior - Lore Caster - Iron Breaker - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - The Chosen - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - Volcarian Warchief - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - Demolition Duo - Storm Seer - Battle Maiden - Battle Maiden - Magnatuar Reaver

The results speak for themselves really. Battle Maiden is "randomly" picked 38% more than any other hero. This is a small sample, but thats a very large margin. To top it off, theres nothing I can find that would make any sense as to why she gets picked so much :bored:. The best I can do for now is add a feature that makes sure you cant random the same hero twice.

If anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening, that would be fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  17. DanThanh

DanThanh

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think you should use Unit Pool instead, there will be never a chance for a Hero to be picked twice !

18. xenoche

xenoche

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Code (Text):
    RandomPick
        Events
            Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
        Conditions
            And - All (Conditions) are true
                Conditions
                    (Ability being cast) Equal to Random Pick
                    (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Chooser of Heroes
        Actions
            Set TEMP_unitGroup = (Units in HeroPickArea <gen> matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True) and ((Custom value of (Matching unit)) Equal to 0)))
            Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Random 1 units from TEMP_unitGroup) and do (Actions)
                Loop - Actions
                    Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Undead Banshee - Curse (Picked unit)
            Custom script:   call DestroyGroup (udg_TEMP_unitGroup)

As you can see, I am using a unit group and it doesnt seem to help :bored:.

19. Josemite

Josemite

Resources:
    Resources:
    hrm, not really sure, never trusted those Pick Random Unit(s) functions, but there is a Unit - Random Unit From Group function that might work better...

An even more accurate way imo would be to add each unit from the group to a unit array, and then pick a random index to use as the hero:

• RandomPick
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
      • Conditions
        • And - All (Conditions) are true
          • Conditions
            • (Ability being cast) Equal to Random Pick
            • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Chooser of Heroes
      • Actions
        • Set TEMP_integer = 1
        • Set TEMP_unitGroup = (Units in HeroPickArea <gen> matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True) and ((Custom value of (Matching unit)) Equal to 0)))
        • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (TEMP_unitGroup) and do (Actions)
          • Loop - Actions
            • Set TEMP_unitArray[TEMP_Integer] = (Picked Unit)
            • Set TEMP_integer = TEMP_integer + 1
        • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Undead Banshee - Curse (TEMP_unitArray[Random Integer From 1 to (TEMP_integer-1)])
        • Custom script: call DestroyGroup (udg_TEMP_unitGroup)

The syntax might be a bit off, but you can probably get the general idea of how it works.

20. DanThanh

DanThanh

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Xenoche, what i mean is using the trick Unit Pool in VJass, that's the best way i've ever seen, it's a pity that i'm too busy by now, but good luck to you, my friend !