Heralds of Oblivion

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
ENTRY FOR THE 17TH TECHTREE CONTEST
This map was made on WCIII patch 1.27b so is intended to be used on this or newer versions.

main-header-png.376101

The N'raqi, commonly known as the Faceless Ones, are a monstrous race that arose from the organic matter that seeped from the Old Gods' blighted forms during the primordial era of Azeroth. Cunning and intelligent, they serve their eldritch masters with fanatical loyalty and are known to be virtually unstoppable juggernauts.

As the influence of the Old Gods spread across the world, it became known as the Black Empire. Seeing the Old Gods as a threat, the Elemental Lords united against them, but ultimately even the elementals were unable to withstand the endless swarms of N'raqi and Aqir, and the Old Gods eventually succeeded in enslaving the Elemental Lords. Many Faceless Ones were slain or imprisoned deep beneath the Earth when the Titans arrived to bring order to the world.

Faceless Ones speak in their own language, and carry with them strange magics that cause madness and corruption whenever they touch. They can usually be seen guarding the interests of their masters, being unleashed from their prisons to restore the Black Empire and shroud the world in shadow once more.






SCREENSHOTS

img1-png.376798


img2-png.376799


img3-png.376800


img4-png.376801


img5-png.376802


img6-png.376803




Credits
Changelog

-Blizzard

-Mythic
-AndrewOverload519
-Mister_Haudrauf
-DonDustin
-Maxwell
--Grendel
-Dentothor
-General Frank
-Sin'dorei300
-Diegoit
-Misha
-Radagast
-Thrikodius
-Lichkings slave
-nGy
-Boogles
-JetFangInferno
-frostwhisper
-stan0033
-Amigurumi
-Champara Bros

-Pins
-The_Warchief
--Grendel
-Dionesiist
-Hawkwing
-Bumhunter

-Blizzard
-Blood Raven
-Dentothor
-Sin'dorei300
-Scias
-Alexen
-Marcos DAB
--Grendel
-Mister_Haudrauf
-bigapple90
-Maxwell
-Novart
-Hemske
-CRAZYRUSSIAN
-Darkfang
-Bumhunter

-Archmage Owenalacaster
-Bribe
-Chopinski
-BPower
-Dirac
-Vexorian
-Flux
-Spellbound
-Nestharus
-Bannar
-Blade.dk
-lender
-WereElf
-Doomlord
-Almia


-Released.

Balance changes:
-Reduced the damage of Vilespawn from 6-8 to 6-7 (from 9-17 to 9-13 when fully upgraded).
-Reduced the damage of Tainted from 9-13 to 9-11 (from 12-28 to 12-20 when fully upgraded).
-Reduced the damage of Cultist from 19-22 to 18-21 (from 22-34 to 21-33 when fully upgraded).
-Reduced the hit points of Cultist from 470 to 430.
-Rebalanced the damage of Misshapen from 26-34 to 30-36 (from 29-61 to 33-57 when fully upgraded).
-The Seething Evil ability has been modified. Movement speed reduction has been reduced from 35% to 25%, the chance to deal additional damage has been increased from 40% to 50%, and the damage amount has been reduced from 7 to 5.
-Umbral Mending mana cost increased from 10 to 12.
-Void Barrier mana cost increased from 40 to 45.
-The amount of maximum hit points restored by Realm of Madness has been increased from 4% to 6% per dead.

Bugfixes:
-Unused mana removed from Mastermind.
-Touch of Insanity can no longer take control of enemy workers.

Others:
-Fixed an error in Nightmare's description.

Balance changes:
-Maw base hit points increased from 770 to 800.
-Realm of Madness duration increased from 20 to 26 seconds.
-Volatile Burst base damage reduced from 70 to 60.

Bugfixes:
-Added the mana cost (140) accidentally removed from Realm of Madness.

Others:
-Orb of Darkness now create Oozes instead of Skeletons when killing an enemy.
-Rifts progress bars have been readjusted to better match the research time for upgrades.

Balance changes:
-Nether Volley damage per missile reduced from 10-14 to 7-11.
-Misshapen food cost reduced from 5 to 4.
-Misshapen base hit points reduced from 1030 to 975.
-The bonus hit points provided by the Maddening Wrath upgrade for Misshapen has been increased from 120 to 125.

Others:
-Added an additional effect to targets affected by Soul Chain.
-Scroll of Town Portal has been replaced by Diamond of Summoning for Faceless Ones. Diamond of Summoning has 1 available charge and will teleport 24 units in target area to Hero location.
-Now one of your Harbingers (or the C'Thrax if you choose Yogg-Saron) will start with 1 Diamond of Summoning after you choose an Old God.

Balance changes:
-Nether Volley damage per missile reduced from 7-11 to 7-10.

Others:
-Mastermind can no longer be teleported by Diamond of Summoning.
-Updated Misshapen's training description to reflect the new food cost.

Contents

Heralds of Oblivion (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Approved based on reviews from: Techtree Contest #17 - Results Please consider the given feedback to improve the map.
Level 4
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
41
OH MY FRIGGING GAWD. You, Sir, are the Master of the Mastres.
You took this game, spitted on it, and just CHANGED EVERYTHING.
An humongous being not being the hero but the summoners.
THREE HEREOS from the start that harvest gold.
No techtree, but the most convoluted and mind-scratching upgrades system ever seen.
This race would be lovely in a custom campaign as the CPU Final Boss race.

The creativity of the lumber harvester is excellent.
And i ADORE the fact that even if you start with 3 herores and such a strong entity, you can't attack, because it takes AGES to make a good army. You're basically weak, if not even weaker, than a normal race, if you don't cast your upgrades as fast as you can. Some of them maybe take really too much.

ONE COMPLAIN ONLY: I can't see how much time is left for the upgrade. If i click on the building while it's upgrading there is no bar, and since it takes even 3-4 minutes, it really need one. That's the only flaw in a masterpiece of thinking-outside-the box

P.S. I read now it's for a contest. Can I do something to support you? I don't know the other works, but THIS deserves praises!
 

Riki

Arena Moderator
Level 27
Joined
May 18, 2018
Messages
396
Very good race map.
OH MY FRIGGING GAWD. You, Sir, are the Master of the Mastres.
You took this game, spitted on it, and just CHANGED EVERYTHING.
An humongous being not being the hero but the summoners.
THREE HEREOS from the start that harvest gold.
No techtree, but the most convoluted and mind-scratching upgrades system ever seen.
This race would be lovely in a custom campaign as the CPU Final Boss race.

The creativity of the lumber harvester is excellent.
And i ADORE the fact that even if you start with 3 herores and such a strong entity, you can't attack, because it takes AGES to make a good army. You're basically weak, if not even weaker, than a normal race, if you don't cast your upgrades as fast as you can. Some of them maybe take really too much.

ONE COMPLAIN ONLY: I can't see how much time is left for the upgrade. If i click on the building while it's upgrading there is no bar, and since it takes even 3-4 minutes, it really need one. That's the only flaw in a masterpiece of thinking-outside-the box

P.S. I read now it's for a contest. Can I do something to support you? I don't know the other works, but THIS deserves praises!
Thanks guys. :grin:

@N00b-Morti there's a progress bar above the Rift that shows the current progress of the training or upgrade.



Map updated:

Balance changes:
-Reduced the damage of Vilespawn from 6-8 to 6-7 (from 9-17 to 9-13 when fully upgraded).
-Reduced the damage of Tainted from 9-13 to 9-11 (from 12-28 to 12-20 when fully upgraded).
-Reduced the damage of Cultist from 19-22 to 18-21 (from 22-34 to 21-33 when fully upgraded).
-Reduced the hit points of Cultist from 470 to 430.
-Rebalanced the damage of Misshapen from 26-34 to 30-36 (from 29-61 to 33-57 when fully upgraded).
-The Seething Evil ability has been modified. Movement speed reduction has been reduced from 35% to 25%, the chance to deal additional damage has been increased from 40% to 50%, and the damage amount has been reduced from 7 to 5.
-Umbral Mending mana cost increased from 10 to 12.
-Void Barrier mana cost increased from 40 to 45.
-The amount of maximum hit points restored by Realm of Madness has been increased from 4% to 6% per dead.

Bugfixes:
-Unused mana removed from Mastermind.
-Touch of Insanity can no longer take control of enemy workers.

Others:
-Fixed an error in Nightmare's description.
 
Level 11
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
128
So creative. Definitely deserves 5/5. I love the map you make. I have a very minor suggestion: is it possible for you to replace the orb of darkness with something like 'orb of black empire' or 'orb of old gods' that spawns mini-faceless ones upon the target's death? That would be quite neat. Overall, another perfect execution. If you are planning to make another race map, the spoiler will be appreciated xD.
 
Level 4
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
41
I'll check the updated version, but i'm confident saying that even if there was a progress bar, in some cases it reached the end but the upgrades was not finished yet.
 

Riki

Arena Moderator
Level 27
Joined
May 18, 2018
Messages
396
Map updated:

Balance changes:
-Maw base hit points increased from 770 to 800.
-Realm of Madness duration increased from 20 to 26 seconds.
-Volatile Burst base damage reduced from 70 to 60.

Bugfixes:
-Added the mana cost (140) accidentally removed from Realm of Madness.

Others:
-Orb of Darkness now create Oozes instead of Skeletons when killing an enemy.
-Rifts progress bars have been readjusted to better match the research time for upgrades.
 
Last edited:
Level 14
Joined
Jun 15, 2016
Messages
745
I'm not sure but it seems that Town Portal Scroll can't be used, and no hero gets free scroll at start.
My favourite strategy 'till this point is choose Yogg-Saron as quickly get to T3 strongest units such as Juggernaut, with few Whisperer's Void Barrier, with bunch of Tainted and Void Bringer's powerful siege damage. I tried to rush with C'Thun mostly with mass of T1 units but it wasn't as much effective as second choice, didn't try the third one though. Imho , this race heroes really have some serious passive abilities.

Great race overall, easy to play but hard to master! Remind me of those Alien inside Marshmallo's map Planetary Domination.

P/S: Man, how I love that greeny Call-of-Chthulu-themed unit model and how funny that Tentacle spell wavingly swinging enemy around.
 
Last edited:

Riki

Arena Moderator
Level 27
Joined
May 18, 2018
Messages
396
I'm not sure but it seems that Town Portal Scroll can't be used, and no hero gets free scroll at start.
My favourite strategy 'till this point is choose Yogg-Saron as quickly get to T3 strongest units such as Juggernaut, with few Whisperer's Void Barrier, with bunch of Tainted and Void Bringer's powerful siege damage. I tried to rush with C'Thun mostly with mass of T1 units but it wasn't as much effective as second choice, didn't try the third one though. Imho , this race heroes really have some serious passive abilities.

Great race overall, easy to play but hard to master! Remind me of those Alien inside Marshmallo's map Planetary Domination.

P/S: Man, how I love that greeny Call-of-Chthulu-themed unit model and how funny that Tentacle spell wavingly swinging enemy around.
Thank you. :)

-Town Portal had some troubles targeting the Mastermind so I replaced it with a new item now.
-N'Zoth is intended to have the best rush capabilities with a formidable early game, although his T1 melee units are very fragile. He can overwhelm bases more easily than anyone else.
-C'Thun has greater versatility in his armies, as upgraded Corruptors can attack ground units and Ravagers can defend themselves in melee and recover quickly from attacks. He has a good mid game and acceptable late game.
-Yogg-Saron is for a great late game. Juggernauts are powerful tanks that can distract enemy fire while smaller units break into enemy's base and lay waste. And although you lose a Harbinger in exchange for the C'Thrax, your gold production is not affected thanks to the bonus that Yogg grants to gold mines.



Map updated:

Balance:
-Nether Volley damage per missile reduced from 10-14 to 7-11.
-Misshapen food cost reduced from 5 to 4.
-Misshapen base hit points reduced from 1030 to 975.
-The bonus hit points provided by the Maddening Wrath upgrade for Misshapen has been increased from 120 to 125.

Others:
-Added an additional effect to targets affected by Soul Chain.
-Scroll of Town Portal has been replaced by Diamond of Summoning for Faceless Ones. Diamond of Summoning has 1 available charge and will teleport 24 units in target area to Hero location.
-Now one of your Harbingers (or the C'Thrax if you choose Yogg-Saron) will start with 1 Diamond of Summoning after you choose an Old God.

Balance:
-Nether Volley damage per missile reduced from 7-11 to 7-10.

Others:
-Mastermind can no longer be teleported by Diamond of Summoning.
-Updated Misshapen's training description to reflect the new food cost.
 
Last edited:
Level 4
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
55
Considering that new models of the old gods by Explobomb have come out, will you be improving the map and adding new ancient gods, because with them it will be much cooler?
 

Riki

Arena Moderator
Level 27
Joined
May 18, 2018
Messages
396
Considering that new models of the old gods by Explobomb have come out, will you be improving the map and adding new ancient gods, because with them it will be much cooler?
At the beginning I had planned to implement something similar but I rejected the idea due to lack of suitable models and the deadline of the techtree contest.

Now that the contest is over and we have these great models, maybe I can think of something to implement them and add some improvements.

The problem is that I do not have time, so at the moment I will not be able to do it but in the future I would definitely be interested in taking up that idea again. :)
 
Top