• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with War1gus (Please read and reply. Do not remove this thread)

Can you help me

• Find some forums involving War1gus

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Contact R.M. Strider from YouTube or via Email to see if that helps :)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Never help me because it's starting to get more difficult for me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I was middle of doing a "Play Video Games Day and Night" thing, i was wanting to play War1gus (Don't have Wargus which is Warcraft II), and now my controls for W1gus are broken and never seem to work. :(

Its from the Stratgus Engine, tried installing Stratagus and War1gus 2.4.1 or 2.4.2, now the game won't let me change the options or press esc key.
My keyboard keys for this game are broken as hell! >X<

I'll re-download the stuff as soon as someone who plays or do not plays WC1&2 on Stratagus.

Now i'm frustrated to see it not work on my computer (It's an alienware 17 laptop that i always use for stuff).

War1gus and Wargus still works on R.M. Strider which is working fine and perfec, but not my computer though.

Here's his video that has the working one:
I use Windows 10, but the problem is my W1gus won't let me play it.
Nobody excluding me and R.M. Strider play W1gus and Wargus ever.

If you want to help me, read this thread or my reddit post on the Warcraft Subreddit and vote here first.
r/Warcraft - War1gus is Broken and Ruined on My Ends (PLEASE HELP!)
If not, i'll be doomed without WC1 and WC2 (I might need a new one or use my only computer to have it). >.<

Thanks in advance! ~from J-Kun FeruEnzeru

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Please file a bug report here:
Wargus/war1gus

Do not forget to mention which version of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans you are using exactly.

[...] tried installing Stratagus and War1gus 2.4.1 or 2.4.2, now the game won't let me change the options or press esc key. [...]
This part is unclear. How did you install it exactly?

FeruEnzeruJKun said:
HELP WITH WAR1GUS (PLEASE READ AND REPLY. DO NOT REMOVE THIS THREAD)
Please don't shout, we're not deaf. tia.

Level 7
Do not forget to mention which version of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans you are using exactly.
What version of WC1:O&H i'm using exactly?
It's the CD version of Warcraft 1: Orcs & Humans from the classic Warcraft 1&2 battle chest that my family members got and have years ago (Probably 1996 or 1999 actually?).
I've installed it while i was doing my "Play Video Games Day and Night" stuff, which was 3 days ago (July 3rd).
I'd tried to install it, and it was saying something involving Chunk Errors and now it having bugs with the game or my computer hardware.
I'll try getting a GitHub if i like if it does money stuff or not.
Please don't shout, we're not deaf. tia.
Okay, i will try not to shout. :)

Remember that i'm going to be very busy with things first like installing some games on my laptop.
I gotta get a Discord tomorrow because i have important things than HIVE.
I'll try github account in order to file a bug report eventually.

Thank you for your reply, pyf. :) I'll finding tutorials that involve how to get a github account on YouTube or not.

We'll see. :)

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Its from the Stratgus Engine, tried installing Stratagus and War1gus 2.4.1 or 2.4.2, now the game won't let me change the options or press esc key.
I'd tried to install it, and it was saying something involving Chunk Errors and now it having bugs with the game or my computer hardware.
I mean you did not install everything on top of each other before (or after) importing / converting the resources of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, right?

Is your CD-ROM version of the game defect-free?
Is it the MS-DOS CD version?

Last edited:
Level 7
I mean you did not install everything on top of each other before (or after) importing / converting the resources of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, right?
No, i haven't installed everything on top of each other (probably the Stratagus or War1gus folders) before (or after) importing / converting the resources of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, i don't remember if i tried to install it on each other 2 or 3 or 4 days ago (I mean, after reinstalling Stratagus and War1gus 2 yesterdays ago, the music for it is not working on my ends). :(
I don't do WC1&2 on DOSBox since DOSBox is having issues with the WC2 expansion content (custom maps/puds and custom scenarios i believe).
btw, it is Today instead of Friday, i'll getting some accounts such as a Discord account and a github account to file my bug report on War1gus really later i suppose.
Is your CD-ROM version of the game defect-free?
Is it the MS-DOS CD version?
Probably yes or no to the MS-DOS CD version of the game, i don't think if it's defect free or not.
I haven't tried WC1 on DOSBox (I really dunno how to startup a MS-DOS game installation on DOSBox) on Windows (7 or 10) since OpenXCOM and Wargus/War1gus and since i was watching random YT stuff a while ago. SEE IMAGE BELOW
full

I'll be getting my accounts (Discord and github accounts) very later unless i'm the mood or not.

tia.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] i don't think if it's defect free or not. [...]
You may use Nero CD-DVD Speed to find out.

With mixed mode CDs, the software might report an error in the gap between the end of the data track and the beginning of the first audio track. You can safely ignore this.

Also, be aware that some CDs with copy protection may rely on unreadable sectors for the game to run. Unfortunately, Nero CD-DVD Speed will report them as surface errors as well, even though they are here on purpose.

Another way to check the readability of a disc with a data track only, is simply to copy its contents on your HDD. It is imho less reliable though, because not all the data will be copied / checked that way (especially with hybrid discs).

Last edited:
Level 7
You may use Nero CD-DVD Speed to find out.
Okay i'll see this program soon enough after getting a github account to find out what it is.
I'll be checking my "GNU GPL Program Files" folder on my laptop's "C:\" drive to see if i simply copied some or little bit of its contents to it.

Thanks for the reminder, pyf! :)

EDIT:
Okay... As far as what i can tell;
The CD's fine, but there is 0.6 % Damaged and 0.1 % Bad sectors inside of the hybrid CD.
Might've been Track 01 it seems (Gotta to try it out on a media player on my laptop).
Here's the report.
full

Surface scan (Nero DiscSpeed):
Good: 99.3 %
Damaged: 0.6 %
Bad: 0.1 %

That's all i could give you, pyf.

I'll try sending in the bug report to notify the War1gus Github about my problems and issues with War1gus maybe at 10:00 AM i suppose.

EDIT2:
And btw, i'm not getting download and torrent versions of WC1 in order to make War1gus work on my laptop, okay? -.-

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
If any part of the CD is truly damaged it is as good as unusable and a coaster...
It is possible to read more data from some damaged CDs, by using an optical drive which supports data error correction. One can find out whether his/her CD-DVD drive supports C2 error correction, by using Nero InfoTool.

As an example, here are the probing results for my Matsushita UJ-840D CD/DVD-ROM drive on Windows XP SP3.

Nero InfoTool 5 - Matsushita UJ-840D.jpg

Info is based on the device's firmware, so please be sure it is up to date, as well as its drivers if necessary.

[...] Here's the report.
full

Surface scan (Nero DiscSpeed):
Good: 99.3 %
Damaged: 0.6 %
Bad: 0.1 %
The results for Track 01 are unexpected.
Does it have other tracks which may be hard to read / unreadable?

Can you copy the contents of the PC data track in a folder somewhere on your HDD?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hmmm... Pretty strange to be good as unusable.
The CD is 99.3 % Good on the scan.
Most software is not designed to cope with errors in its source data. Software will only work reliably and properly if 100% of its data has no errors in it at all.

Do be aware that by errors in the data I mean as far as the software reading the data is concerned. The underlying storage medium can still have physical errors in the data but as long as error correcting codes mask these so the data the software receives is correct it does not matter.

Level 12
As a last resort since I've no idea if you can find the game to buy again anywhere (maybe Amazon or something), take it from Abandonia. It's not like you haven't bought it at all.
Why not battle.net directly ? :|
It would be full price, yes, but I have to say, it is worth it ;) And they also do 50% discounts every now and then ;)

Edit// Ignore me, I thought we were talking War3 for some reason :|

regards
-Ned

pyf

pyf

Level 32
As a last resort since I've no idea if you can find the game to buy again anywhere (maybe Amazon or something), take it from Abandonia. It's not like you haven't bought it at all.
This would most probably be illegal anyway.

In France, one is legally entitled to make one (and one only) backup copy of the software he/she legally bought, for private use only. This does not entitle one to download a copy of said software from any unauthorized source, even for backup purposes.

Level 7
Does it have other tracks which may be hard to read / unreadable?
I dunno, pyf. I'll try testing the tracks on the WC1 disc with my windows media player to see if it's readable or unreadable or not if that helps.
Can you copy the contents of the PC data track in a folder somewhere on your HDD?
Sure. Already copied the contents (Just from the DATA folder from the WC1 CD) to the Warcraft 1 Data folder on the GNU GPL Program Files folder on my laptop's HDD yesterday.
Already filed the bug report on the War1gus GitHub about my problems with War1gus. I'll wait.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@pyf Are Blizzard still selling this in any way? i mean, is there any legal way to get your hands on this nowadays ?
Blizzard is not selling the game anymore afaik. In January 2017, there was no short term plans to place the first Warcraft video game onto Blizzard's website. Which does not mean in the future it won't happen though.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans has been published in at least one computer game magazine. Maybe there are still back issues available from somewhere? (though it is imho very doubtful)

The last resort would be to find a seller of a used copy of the game (floppy disc or CD-ROM version).

** Edit **

Additional info:
WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (1994) DOS release dates - MobyGames

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans does not use any CD-Key, nor does it require any online activation / check.

Therefore, I see no problem with reselling the original media, as long as the owner does not keep a backup copy of his/her floppy discs / CD-ROM.

Level 7
Anyway, @FeruEnzeruJKun any progress?

regards
-Ned
I dunno, Ned. I was probably busy with playing games all day and night, along with me being busy with other things.

I do not have any progress for War1gus for now, i have no responses from the Issues · Wargus/war1gus page GitHub about asking me to fix my issues with War1gus.

I'll try scheduling taking screenshots of the version of War1gus i'm using on my laptop maybe at the 16th of July i suppose. I can count on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.