• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Help with Playing Specific Animation of Special Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, I can't seem to find the trigger to play a special effect's specific animation that was created through trigger e.g. Blademaster's slam animation. I know how to get it to play if it was a dummy unit since there is a "play unit specific animation" trigger but the question is, how do I change the animation of a spawned special effect?

The closest that I've found is play destructible or doodad animation but nothing else so far. Perhaps I have to use custom script? If so then please guide me along the way.

Much help is appreciated! :)

Level 39
You can't/don't. You get stand/default for creating an effect and destroy for destroying it but no other animations can be manually shown. I believe 1.30 will have new sfx natives to do this though.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yeah I thought so. I guess the only way would be making a dummy or editing the model file and making the desired animation the default.

Appreciate the help though!

Level 39
It's possible that if you attach the sfx to a dummy unit and then tell the unit to play an animation that they both have it would play. If you're looking for a dummy unit model to try this on, I would suggest the dummy.mdx that came in Vexorian's xe and Caster System. It's an invisible model with a couple points for attachements.

Level 2
It's possible that if you attach the sfx to a dummy unit and then tell the unit to play an animation that they both have it would play. If you're looking for a dummy unit model to try this on, I would suggest the dummy.mdx that came in Vexorian's xe and Caster System. It's an invisible model with a couple points for attachements.
Yeah I thought about that but then if I needed to make a dummy unit to attach it to, I might as well just put the actual model of the animation I want onto the dummy. Thanks again for helping though! :)

Level 2
You can't/don't. You get stand/default for creating an effect and destroy for destroying it but no other animations can be manually shown. I believe 1.30 will have new sfx natives to do this though.
You were correct, in patch 1.30 they indeed added the new natives for it haha.

The problem now is, are there any actions that can change special effect animation speed? I've only come across changing the unit's animation speed but nothing for special effect animation speed.

The closest thing I've found was the time scale or time special effect actions but I don't know what they are and I don't think they have anything to do with the animation speed (I searched all over Google about what those 2 things were but found no results about anyone talking about them).

Level 14
Time scale changes the animation speed of the special effect. So if you want the animation to play twice as fast you would set the time scale to 2.
Time jumps the effect's animation to the given time. For instance if you want to only play the animation last second and the animation duration is 5 seconds you would set the time to 4 seconds.

Level 2
Time scale changes the animation speed of the special effect. So if you want the animation to play twice as fast you would set the time scale to 2.
Time jumps the effect's animation to the given time. For instance if you want to only play the animation last second and the animation duration is 5 seconds you would set the time to 4 seconds.
Thank you! That's this thread solved :p

Status
Not open for further replies.