• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help with modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hi, I want to begin modeling but I need some help:emote_sad:
-How do I make and save multiple animations in milkshape and then make it so they can be played in WC3 Viewer or Magos?
-Also, how do I unwrap a texture on to a model? (Werewulf has explained this before but not in-depth to where I can fully understand it)
-Can you combine meshes?
-Another thing, any tips for making a model's movements more lifelike? My animations look mechanical and unnatural. Which means... they're bad
Here's a picture of my model (The skeleton and the skeleton's attachments to model are worked out)
AACrawlyThing.jpg

Last edited:
Level 45
-How do I make and save multiple animations in milkshape and then make it so they can be played in WC3 Viewer or Magos?
You must remember what frames you want your animation to end. Eg.
Your stand 1, starts at frame 1, then ends at frame 80, write that down on a note pad somewhere or read what guesst said if your using hes exporter.
http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=86308

When your in the mdl after you export you can manually put the conversions in, it should be 1 keyframe x 41= the sequence in the mdl.
So if your thing starts at 1 and ends at 20, it would be 41,820.
Remember if your making more than one animations, make sure their keyframes are appart, eg.

The start of Stand 1 ends at 45, the Start of Stand 2 Starts at 55, this is to prevent animation screw ups.

ALWAYS

Use this before you animate or your animations will screw up after export, and you can never fix this...trust me..iv spent hours on animating a single model and got majorly pissed off when i forgot to run Zero Joints.
z.jpg

-Also, how do I unwrap a texture on to a model? (Werewulf has explained this before but not in-depth to where I can fully understand it)
Add a new material, select a group then click assign so the material ID will attach to that group.
1-7.jpg

Then go up to the unwrap editor.
2-8.jpg

and select a group from the side(or use select faces), then go on your unwrap proggy thingy and select the group you have select to move its faces.
3-5.jpg

-Can you combine meshes?
Yes, select the groups and click on regroup to merge them, they cant be separated so easily after that so be careful on what you merge unless your certain.
4-5.jpg

-Another thing, any tips for making a model's movements more lifelike? My animations look mechanical and unnatural. Which means... they're bad
Here's a picture of my model (The skeleton and the skeleton's attachments to model are worked out)
okay, look at this quick scribble sheet i did.

You see how a joint with the bone and comparing it to the organic formation of the creatures arm? Well study that abit.

The eyes, thats just a scibble, but if your making eyes, make sure they join like limbs from the main head bone so you can control the eye lids as a child (so they flow with the head and dont go nuts)

The head..lizard..worm things? dunno..but thats just a quick thing to show, remember that when a creature strikes, that is when they are fastest, so at that frame, make it short.

as for the leg thing, well i started running out of room but this is just a basic sequence i can remember, may be wrong though, anyway, the Black is one leg, the red is the other, this is how they move if they are going at the same time.

If you have a for legged creature, the basic design is that the back left follows the front right.

Level 10
just make all your anims on the one bar leaving a bit of space inbetween them all and then using the comment button you set the sequences so you put, walk,1-20,looping seperate everything with commas. It will be one continueous thing in milkshape but in the model editor it will be split up into the sequesces you made.... wow lots of gramatical and spelling errors in that.

Level 3
if your using the milkshape WC3 exporter for milkshape you have to put it in the main mikshape directory (tht would be something like c:/program files/milkshape/milkshapeWC3ex) only put the .dll file in, then re open milkshape if you had it running, look under th files tab then under export, scroll down until you see the warcraft 3 exporter. if your file has animations you must include them in your models comment, and example is here http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=86308

Level 2
Hey! Sometimes vertexes in Texture Coordinate Editor just dissapear! Is it a "Milka"'s bug or i did something wrong again?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I'm not sure in Milkshape, you'll have to wait for Wulf to pop in again.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

What kind of model do you want to disappear? Usually models decay and move under ground.

On Magos' editor, you just open up the Geoset anim, go to Visibility/Alpha (damn my memory), and type in the keyframe you want it to dissapear at.

JASS:
1: 1
1234: 0
this means that anything which has a keyframe of 1-1233 will be visible, but anything from 1234 onwards will be invisible.
1 means visible, 0 means invisible.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.