• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help with making an item system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm working on an item system for my aos in progress and i need some help with making the system.

Here's basically what i'm trying to create:

It's a system that allows you to equip multiple types of items, but only a limited amount of each type.

Most items that are combat related (armor and melee weapons as well as ranged weapons) will have a custom value which will be known as durability. This will let you know the number of attacks your weapon has before it loses it's effect, and has to be repaired. (this can be done by checking charges).

Bow heroes use arrows whcih they run out of (they have low attacks but arrows give higher bonuses at lower cost to replace but run out quicker)

Now eahc time you deal or take damage, it removes 1 weapon\armor point, and when you have 0 armor points, your weapon will lose it's bonuses.

Now that's pretty much all i need help on. I'm just wondering how i should approach this so that i don't get problems with the charges or with multiinstance ability and what i could do to lower space used for all the items?

Just to add, i'd make each slot special for a one type of item (would automatically move the correct item to such a slot).

Any ideas on how i could accomplish this as effectively as possible with the use of roughly 15 base items (weapons/armor/arrows) and then 30 other perma items and 10 or so perishables.

Level 6
Let me just start by saying: Muahahahahahaha!!!! cough splutter don't remember eating that.

Ok. I tried to make an item system as well, set items like in Diablo II. Well let me tell you those were some very interesting months and I only had to do 8 sets of 5 items. I actually have five versions of each of the items that increase in power, the ring in each set doesn't get more powerful, one for each number of the set collected. Grand total: 168 items, plus 45 abilities plus triggers for when they are dropped, picked up and picked up for the first time.

I don't think there is an easy way to do anything with items. Although that was on 1.16 things might have changed since then.

From my experience I suggest you get a different item for 0 durability with out abilities and just swap them over when necessary.

Oh, and one last thing before you hit this mountain head on: Good Luck!

Level 10
Hmmm could perhaps post some example triggers for switching items and allowing only one item of each type and so on? I really don't have much expericence with item triggers is all, so i don't really know how to even set this up (since they don't act like units and whatnot)

Status
Not open for further replies.