• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Help with importing Portrait_mdx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I know there are a few help topics out there already for Portrait_mdx, but all of their solutions to the portrait problem, involve putting your new mdx/skin over an existing units. Ex. you put your new Footmen_portrait, over the old one, thereby replacing it for your maps. I've been trying very hard to make my entire map without altering the actual fils. All of my imported units/models refer to skins that aren't already in existance, so that I can bring up original units, without having the wrong portraits, and skins on them. Is there some way I can make my New models/skins refer to portraits, without placing my portrait models over existing ones?

Level 2
Yeah sorry, guess I wasn't very clear:

I have Imported models and skins into my modded map, such as a Templar, who utilizes the base model of Admiral Proudmoore, but with new skins. Instead of setting my imported skin pathname to the original Proudmoore, I changed the model reference so that I could, if I chose have both the original proudmoore, and my Templar skin in the same map. The problem is the portrait isn't working properly. My attempt to generate a new portrait model for the Templar worked fine...except that all the tutorials so far say the only way to get the game to recongize that portrait, is to change the imported portraits pathname, to the original unit's pathname. So far I've managed to change my model paths, so that I could keep all of the game's original skins/models, unchanged, so that in theory an opponent could play an normal race against mine without having units with altered skins/portraits. I was wondering if someone had a way to import a portraid model, and get the game to referenc that portrait for my new unit, without changing it's pathname to a preexisting unit's portrait model pathname.

Level 2
I don't quite understand. I can't find anyplace in any of the normal models that refers to a portrait_mdx. so I don't know how to make the Templar model refrence my imported portrait instead of Admiral Pourdmoore's...without that is, pathing over the original admiral proudmoore's portrait.

Level 25
What path did you import the MODEL of the Templar?

Yes, there should be NOTHING about a portrait in the mdl

Lets say the Templar is at "Units\Heros\Templar.mdx". The portrait file would go to "Units\Heros\Templar_Portrait.mdx"

Level 2
Well I just um wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied on here. It all works now. I was just leaving models, and model_portraits in the war3import file and just moving the skins...but moving the models and portraits in too..made the portraits work. This has made me VERY happy...so um...I guess yeah..thank you all very much for the patience...god konws figuring just what someone is ASKIGN on any forum is hard enough...then you have to help them! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.