• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help me with my map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'm a newbie in creating LARGE maps with an actual storyline.

But here's the thing. I'm making the map right now.
This is the mechanics:
1. Pressing R will increase movespeed for a small time (dashing). This also allows you to evade certain attacks (imagine sprinting through a mob of monsters. Some attacks are bound to miss, although I haven't figured out the triggers myself.)
2. Pressing T will evade enemy physical attacks. (From phase shift ability. This is to make use of timing. I don't really like static enemy fights where it's attack here attack there right click right click. You can time an enemy strike and evade before dishing out your own attack. However, enemy attacks are VERY STRONG so take it as an incentive.)
3. Condition Menu. It displays your Body Heat. My map is based on a snowy region. Once Body Heat drops to 0, your player dies. This urges you to get to a tavern where body heat will instead rise up. From these taverns you can also buy elixirs that keep your body heat warm. One thing too, is that at random times the snow gets stronger, making your body heat drop faster. I think it's a good concept.
4. The camera is locked to a player, and it's an SRPG so there won't be any summons and that sort of stuff.
5. Attributes mean NOTHING to player health, damage, mana and whatnot. For example: there are weapons you can buy with stats, but increasing your stats don't affect HP and/or damage. Armor is gained from gauntlets, platemails and stuff, which also decreases your speed (negative speed passive).

Yeah, it might still be using some right click action, but evading enemy attacks become very important instead of taking them head on with a ton of HP from upgrades.

Any comment about my concept?

Level 28
My experience with arrow movement in Warcraft 3 has been negative for the most part: there's always lag or a button mishap or a cooldown problem that screws everything up. Same for locked cameras, there's always an enemy just offscreen that you can't see because of the lock.

As for the heat and stats, those could work, though if it reduces speed with a wonky system it may make things pointlessly difficult.

Level 5
Thanks! Well, I'm making it as safe as possible. It's not arrow movement, it's still point and click.
As for the locked cameras, I make sure that the creep acquisition range is relatively small and safe, thereby the threat of an enemy offscreen isnt really a problem. Although it might be a problem for future boss fights, I think i'll go with this first.
I'll rethink the speed thing, but I just think it's kinda realistic that if you wear armour you'd go a bit slower, something like -5 movespeed.

Thanks for the comment! I'll be releasing a demo version soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.