• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help Making Skill: Dark Impale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Well, first, I think it is just the impale spell but with no animation for the travelling part. The work would then all be part of making the animation.

Do you know how to make dummy units etc? My guess is that the spikes are a dummy unit with that spike model and it changes size and maybe also moves up and down. There is also a smoke special effect or other dummy unit.

What I'd be most worried about is how many units this animation uses. You don't want to be doing this everywhere as it is probably quite costly. It could cause lag.

Have you made spells with custom animations like this before? I recommend you learn something easier and build from there before doing something like this. I feel like it is waaaay easier if you know JASS as well.

Level 6
i dont know anything about jass,
can u making GUI skill on that link for me? i just dont get it how he could form the impale formed infinite sign (∞)
teach me :D
and my warcraft have problem cant using jass on Newgen WE (keep occured error everytime save game if i insert jass trigger) thats why i have been never able to learn jass

Level 12
Are you using Newgen for anything? You can just use default editor. You could also try redownloading Newgen. Learning JASS is very useful.

You can use math to calculate the positions (sin will help give you the wavy pattern and then you just do a mirror of it to make the infinity sign).

I don't know the exact numbers you will need, but it is basically something like:
Get angle between caster and target. (Refer to as casting angle)
Periodically update the animations:
Get each perpendicular angle of the casting angle. (just add 90 degrees for one and subtract 90 degrees for the other one).
Get the sin value of the distance travelled so far.
Create an animation at the distance offset by the sin value of the distance towards one perpendicular angle.
Do the same with the other perpendicular angle.
Repeat until the distance is the max distance of the spell.

You'd have to tweak the numbers to make it line up correctly. Beware of the massive amounts of memory leaks.

The real issue is maintaining all those animation units - you have to make sure they all get updated and get removed and stuff properly.

Level 6
can you help me give the example trigger, so i can imagined it more clearly sir?
my biggest weakness in WE is calculating math degrees and applied it into skill xD

and how to make every unit spawn on infinite pattern cast only 1 impale?

Level 12
It will take me some time to make something like that and I have been busy lately :/

I think it will be easier if you use a different effect for the spikes (probably the same animation that goes under the units). The animation for that model will work for what you are trying to do without needing to modify the size and height of the model rapidly. You could basically spawn a dummy unit with that model and give it a timed life and it will play the animation on its own.

If I do it in GUI, I will probably do it that way. It will be a real mess if I need to handle all the animations.

Would you need to cast more than one at a time? The trigger can be much more simple if it only needs to be cast once at a time.

Level 6
yeah just cast once and released impale formed infininity sign
the spell works just like when we use crypt lord impale skill, just difference on impale form (straight and infininity sign)
u can give the trigger sir? how about change the model into normal impale (without any import model) though dark impale model (if we modifying it looks more cooler) xD

Status
Not open for further replies.