• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help in AoE autocast spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey all.

I am currently working on a map similar to Angel Arena.

I played and loved angel arena allstars, but it looks quite poor in balance/content and i am sure i can do better.

I don't have much experience around War3 modding - i don't know anything about jass and all my map editing to the day was done in Halo: Reach and Age of Mythology.

I am currently creating one of my heroes - Fire Sprite. One of his abilities allows him to deal splash damage with his auto-attacks ( an autocast ability with base on Searing Arrows ).

I've managed to do some triggering for the AoE damage, so now Fire Sprite deals splash damage every attack. Problem is that it happens even if the ability is inactive ( turned off ).

Triggers:
Event:
Unit is attacked.
Conditions:
Attacking unit is Fire Sprite.
Spell Being Cast is Molten Bomb (Name of the spell. If i add this one line the trigger doesn't work at all, like if it didn't recognize my spell as a ability.)
Actions:
Damage units in area.

I've looked around but I've found no guides that would help me with this one specific problem.

Please help?

Thanks!!!

yip

yip

Level 3
It's hard to work with (and detect) autocast-attack spells like that. What I'd do is use a dummy toggle ability (based on Defend or whatever), and the orb of fire ability (added and removed through triggers) for the bonus damage + splash.

Three other things...

1. (Ability being cast) refers to the following events:
'Unit
> Starts the effect of an ability
> Begins channeling an ability
> Begins casting an ability
> Finishes casting an ability'

It won't respond to 'Unit Is attacked'.

2. Don't use 'Unit Is attacked' for this! The trigger will run every time the attacking unit begins the animation, which means the effect/damage will happen before the projectile even appears. You can also spam 'Stop' and have it trigger repeatedly, abusing such system.

Use a damage detection system (DDS), there are easy-to-use ones available in this site... Just give it a quick search and you'll find it. This way you can have the trigger run at the exact moment that damage is dealt.

3. Don't use 'Damage units in area'... Use 'Pick every unit in (Units in range of damaged unit position) and do (Damage (Picked Unit))'.

This way, you can specify the targets, and not just have allies, foes and wards alike burn to ashes (Use a 'If/Then/Else' or 'Units in (Unit Group) matching condition').

Also, since you're new to the World Editor and triggering, I'm assuming you don't know about the memory leaks some things like designating points and unit groups leave. Those can lag your map really bad, and you need to clear them... So just in case:

Things That Leak

Hope I've helped.

Level 5
Please explain the dummy ability thing?

I tried to use http://www.thehelper.net/threads/gui-friendly-damage-detection.123417/ for damage detection but upon enabling the trigger all i get are series of errors, even after manually adding the variables.

Thank you for your support!

EDIT: Fixed the errors, even when I'm not exactly sure what caused them...

Now, here are my triggers setup ( which should make all hero's attack to have an AoE dmg ):

EVENT:
#Game GDD_Event is equal to zero.
CONDITION:
#GDD_DamageSource is a hero.
ACTIONS:
#Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 512 of(Position of GDD_DamagedUnit)) and do:
##Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage (Picked unit), dealing 20 damage.

These cause my map to CRASH (no errors, just closes) when any hero on the map attacks anything.

Whats happenin?

Last edited:

yip

yip

Level 3
GDD was broken awhile ago, back in patch 1.24(unproven?)
I recommend www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-damage-engine-v2-2-1-0-a-201016/?prev=d=list&r=20&u=Bribe it's compatible with GDD and should fix the issue (there's a manual how to use it along GDD)

This will probably solve it!

Please explain the dummy ability thing?

Why cant you use Orb of Annihilation?

I guess I totally forgot about Orb of Annihilation. That's probably the best solution, as it needs 0 triggering...

Status
Not open for further replies.